The Student Room Group

2011/12 A2 Music Tech

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Fingersmith
:confused: The coursework was supposed to be with the examiner by 15th May!

I don't know of any rules prohibiting publishing your work.

I think I saw somewhere that if it's [the coursework] sent after the deadline, then it can/will be accepted but they cannot guarantee that the mark will be in on time for results day.

In Graphics GCSE, the teacher said that when you send your coursework off, it becomes the property of the exam board. This seems to be a grey area with music tech a-level.
hi there, can someone tell me (quote me too) on what stuff i need to look up and know about for section a of the exam thanks
Original post by Stryder402
hi there, can someone tell me (quote me too) on what stuff i need to look up and know about for section a of the exam thanks

Section A is partly practical, partly theoretical.

You are given a CD with various audio/MIDI tracks on it which you have to put into Cubase/Logic. There may be some errors which you have to identify by comparing to the score or there may be some recording flaws that need to be corrected. When you have done these you do an audio mix down at each point You may have to do some processing and ultimately you put these tracks together and do a final mix - balanced, panned, processed etc. Along the way you will be asked theoretical questions about what you are doing like explaining filtering or gating. You then burn your audio mixes to CD (this is done outside the exam time) which is how your production is marked.

Section B is a longer written response to a choice of two topics related to the history of Music Technology - Synthesis, microphones, effects, recording digital vs analogue etc.

You are given a CD with various audio/MIDI tracks on it which you have to put into Cubase/Logic. There may be some errors which you have to identify by comparing to the score or there may be some recording flaws that need to be corrected. When you have done these you do an audio mix down at each point You may have to do some processing and ultimately you put these tracks together and do a final mix - balanced, panned, processed etc. Along the way you will be asked theoretical questions about what you are doing like explaining filtering or gating. You then burn your audio mixes to CD (this is done outside the exam time) which is how your production is marked.

Section B is a longer written response to a choice of two topics related to the history of Music Technology - Synthesis, microphones, effects, recording digital vs analogue etc.

yup i saw, i was hardly able to even answer the 16 mark essay question!
Anyone got any revision tips for that 16 marker?

so theyve already asked electric guitar , microphones,

actually could you like make a list here of what we should know for the exam? it will be highly helpful for everyone
just had a breakdown about that horrible question 4 of section A.
Its a little reassuring that I'm not the only one panicking.

Exam is in 11 days guys, any help whatsoever would be gratefully received....

actually could you like make a list here of what we should know for the exam? it will be highly helpful for everyone

Yea, I meant question 4 not section B.

...er, that was it! The exam has only been running for two years and there is only one example question text book out there, so everyone's guessing.

2010:
EITHER
* (a) The digital sampler has transformed the sonic palette available to musicians and producers by allowing any sound to be incorporated into a recording with accurate control. Describe what a sampler is and how sampling technology has developed from the 1980s to the present day. You should refer to technical specifications of sampling equipment in your answer.
OR
* (b) Without the invention of the electric guitar, rock music would probably not exist as we recognise it. Describe the features found on an electric guitar and give a technical explanation of how an electric guitar works.

2011:
EITHER
*(a) Reverberation has been used to enhance music since the birth of recording. Describe the different techniques and technologies that have been used to apply reverberation to recordings from the 1920s to the present day.
OR
*(b) Microphones have been used since the late 1800s to record sound. Describe what a microphone does. Explain how a dynamic microphone and a condenser microphone function and identify the benefits of each type.

This is the Edexcel site that has the old papers and the mark schemes so you can see what kind of 'buzzwords' get marks. Top tip - throw lots of words in; if the buzzword is there it gets a mark.
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/music/tech/Pages/default.aspx
(edited 11 years ago)
Yea, I meant question 4 not section B.

...er, that was it! The exam has only been running for two years and there is only one example question text book out there, so everyone's guessing.

2010:
EITHER
* (a) The digital sampler has transformed the sonic palette available to musicians and producers by allowing any sound to be incorporated into a recording with accurate control. Describe what a sampler is and how sampling technology has developed from the 1980s to the present day. You should refer to technical specifications of sampling equipment in your answer.
OR
* (b) Without the invention of the electric guitar, rock music would probably not exist as we recognise it. Describe the features found on an electric guitar and give a technical explanation of how an electric guitar works.

2011:
EITHER
*(a) Reverberation has been used to enhance music since the birth of recording. Describe the different techniques and technologies that have been used to apply reverberation to recordings from the 1920s to the present day.
OR
*(b) Microphones have been used since the late 1800s to record sound. Describe what a microphone does. Explain how a dynamic microphone and a condenser microphone function and identify the benefits of each type.

This is the Edexcel site that has the old papers and the mark schemes so you can see what kind of 'buzzwords' get marks. Top tip - throw lots of words in; if the buzzword is there it gets a mark.
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/music/tech/Pages/default.aspx

yeah i know that but i meant what else should we learn about microphones guitars.. etc , samplers? that sort of thing
Yes, analogue to digital conversion is one of the sample questions in the text book. The practical task is all about manipulating samples and MIDI as well as mixing so you're supposed to know about all of it.

So with sampling you're going back to Musique Concrete - recording random noises on tape and then cutting them up and splicing them together into strange soundscapes, tapeloops etc. Back then they could even turn them backwards. Obviously that's all much easier with a computer but the idea of manipulating sound by changing its physical charactristics goes back to " The theoretical underpinnings of the aesthetic were developed by Pierre Schaeffer, beginning in the early 1940s." (Wiki) Microphones go right back to the invention of the telephone in the late C19th, electronic instruments to Leon Theremin in 1928 etc. It could be any technology that has been used for making music in the last 120 years.
Reply 150
Yes, analogue to digital conversion is one of the sample questions in the text book. The practical task is all about manipulating samples and MIDI as well as mixing so you're supposed to know about all of it.

So with sampling you're going back to Musique Concrete - recording random noises on tape and then cutting them up and splicing them together into strange soundscapes, tapeloops etc. Back then they could even turn them backwards. Obviously that's all much easier with a computer but the idea of manipulating sound by changing its physical charactristics goes back to " The theoretical underpinnings of the aesthetic were developed by Pierre Schaeffer, beginning in the early 1940s." (Wiki) Microphones go right back to the invention of the telephone in the late C19th, electronic instruments to Leon Theremin in 1928 etc. It could be any technology that has been used for making music in the last 120 years.

Fingersmith, do you know whether examiners have to listen to your coursework on speakers, or are they allowed to wear headphones?
Reply 151
Does anyone know about the 'history' of compression? I know about attack/knee etc, but myself and my teacher have searched everywhere and can't find anything on the history (say if they ask us about the development or something). Can anyone help me out?
Original post by adamjay
Fingersmith, do you know whether examiners have to listen to your coursework on speakers, or are they allowed to wear headphones?

They have to listen on good quality hi-fi or monitor speakers. An equipment/listening test is sent out to all examiners to ensure they can hear all the nuances of your work.

[h="4"]History[/h]

Solidyne 922: The world's first commercial audio bit compression card for PC, 1990

A literature compendium for a large variety of audio coding systems was published in the IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC), February 1988. While there were some papers from before that time, this collection documented an entire variety of finished, working audio coders, nearly all of them using perceptual (i.e. masking) techniques and some kind of frequency analysis and back-end noiseless coding.[9] Several of these papers remarked on the difficulty of obtaining good, clean digital audio for research purposes. Most, if not all, of the authors in the JSAC edition were also active in the MPEG-1 Audio committee.
The world's first commercial broadcast automation audio compression system was developed by Oscar Bonello, an Engineering professor at the University of Buenos Aires.[10] In 1983, using the psychoacoustic principle of the masking of critical bands first published in 1967,[11] he started developing a practical application based on the recently developed IBM PC computer, and the broadcast automation system was launched in 1987 under the name Audicom. 20 years later, almost all the radio stations in the world were using similar technology, manufactured by a number of companies. (Wikipedia)

That's all I've got :colondollar:

According to the Jonny Martin textbook:

The following is a list of the topics that questions will be drawn from:

Development of:
-Synthesisers
-Electric guitars and amplification
-Samplers and drum machines
-Use of effects units and processors across time
-Development of recording media including multi-track recording

Digital recording including an awareness of:
-Computer-based recording (including knowledge of typical software packages)
-Hard disk/standalone recorders
-Computer-hosted virtual instruments/effects
-The impact of MIDI on recording and performing
-Use of the internet as a resource and for communication between artists
-The context of all the above and the impact of technology on producers, engineers and artists
Reply 154
Thanks for the list! I don't think guitars or multi-track recording will come up because they've been in a lot of past papers, but synths, compression and midi are quite likely.
anyone else using sound on sound to get their notes for the 16 mark essay?
Reply 156

never heard of sound on sound, could you send me a link please

edit: never mind
(edited 11 years ago)

Is that the music tech magazine? Is there any way to find them online?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BY8YLxef9c&feature=related
Here's a good overview of the development of recording media.
Original post by Andy Denyer
Is that the music tech magazine? Is there any way to find them online?

yeah go to soundonsound.com it has like EVERYTHING, its really good website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending