The Student Room Group

Oxford Medical Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marc_h94
Dr Jeremy Taylor, the head of undergraduate medicine at Oxford, is a medicine tutor there too :smile:

Haha indeed. I totally stalked him when I was thinking of where to apply, decided he was brilliant, went to the open day and nearly died of happiness when I saw he was speaking. Needless to say, I have pages of notes from his talk. Good times.
Original post by mementomori
Haha indeed. I totally stalked him when I was thinking of where to apply, decided he was brilliant, went to the open day and nearly died of happiness when I saw he was speaking. Needless to say, I have pages of notes from his talk. Good times.

He fell asleep during ours- Jan Schnupp had to wake him up to get him to do his speech!
Original post by marc_h94
He fell asleep during ours- Jan Schnupp had to wake him up to get him to do his speech!

hahaha, he'd clearly been out on the lash the night before, my kind of man.
Reply 83
I'm slightly confused about the percentage A*s thing. Do they look at you schools GCSE performance over a number of years, or just your year, or where you came in your year or what? I'm just asking coz there are some amazingly clever people in my year (one already has 3A*s at A2) but not every year at my school has people like that
Reply 84
The Percentage A*s is the Percentage of A*s you got at GCSE e.g. if you took 10 GCSEs and got 8 A*s your pA* is 80%. Likewise if you took 11 GCSEs and got 9A*s your pA* is 82%. If you still can't understand this, consider if you applied to the right course/place. It shouldn't really have to be explained in such simple terms but oh well.
Original post by moonie9995
I'm slightly confused about the percentage A*s thing. Do they look at you schools GCSE performance over a number of years, or just your year, or where you came in your year or what? I'm just asking coz there are some amazingly clever people in my year (one already has 3A*s at A2) but not every year at my school has people like that

I think they just look at your year as that's the most fair way of doing it... But I might be wrong. I doubt having a few amazing people will have that much of an impact anyway, pretty much every school will. They'll most likely look at the average % of A*s
Reply 86
Original post by mementomori
I think they just look at your year as that's the most fair way of doing it... But I might be wrong. I doubt having a few amazing people will have that much of an impact anyway, pretty much every school will. They'll most likely look at the average % of A*s

thanks
Reply 87
Original post by Cottrill
The Percentage A*s is the Percentage of A*s you got at GCSE e.g. if you took 10 GCSEs and got 8 A*s your pA* is 80%. Likewise if you took 11 GCSEs and got 9A*s your pA* is 82%. If you still can't understand this, consider if you applied to the right course/place. It shouldn't really have to be explained in such simple terms but oh well.

I'm perfectly capable of calculating a percentage thanks. What I was trying to get at was how they use your percentage in terms or your school.

I'm perfectly capable of calculating a percentage thanks. What I was trying to get at was how they use your percentage in terms or your school.

These kind of people (Cottrill) don't deserve a reply, in my humble opinion...
Hey, just had a quick question as I know that Oxford don't use ums, but my teacher included mine in her reference so I wanted to find out if these are likely to be looked at when selecting for interview or if they will just be ignored. Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by confused dot com
Hey, just had a quick question as I know that Oxford don't use ums, but my teacher included mine in her reference so I wanted to find out if these are likely to be looked at when selecting for interview or if they will just be ignored. Thanks in advance :smile:

It's not part of their official selection criteria, but just like anything in your reference or application in general, them reading it will affect your chances.
As per the announcement, TSR has received notification from Cambridge assessment that some internationals are yet to sit the exam due to floods in the east and storms in the west.

Please note that therefore ALL discussion on the BMAT is banned until further notice with an immediate 10 point warning to anyone found doing so
Reply 92
Original post by A.Fitzgerald

Original post by A.Fitzgerald
These kind of people (Cottrill) don't deserve a reply, in my humble opinion...

Noted and Ignored.
UCAS Website

From the 2012 entry application cycle UCAS will provide this information directly to the universities and colleges that you have applied to. Although it is already publicly available; UCAS has made it available for all universities and colleges in the UCAS scheme.

The information that will be available is:

the school performance of students achieving:
five A*-C GCSE including English or Welsh and mathematics or equivalent in England, Wales and Northern Ireland
five or more SCQF level 4 Scottish Standard grade including English and mathematics or equivalent in Scotland
the school performance relating to the:
average QCA points for the best eight GCSEs in England and Wales 1
average points for the best eight Scottish Standard grades or equivalent in Scotland
average QCA points per A level entry (or equivalent) in England and Wales1
average UCAS Tariff points per Scottish Highers entry in Scotland
average QCA points per A level student (or equivalent) in England and Wales1
average UCAS Tariff points per Scottish Highers student in Scotland
the percentage of students at the school:
entitled to free school meals *England, Wales and Northern Ireland
registered for free school meals in Scotland

*Note: the information for England has been sourced by local authority
the percentage of students at the school:
entitled to educational maintenance allowance in England, Wales, Northern Ireland (note this information will be available for one year only for England as this data will no longer be collected in England. It will be available for other administrations if still available through them)
registered for educational maintenance allowance in Scotland
Lives in a low progression to higher education neighbourhood (Polar 2)

That is all the information that Universities can get, there are no league tables which give the average number of A*s gained for each school (That I know of anyway). The only special considerations are if you come from a low performing school and do very well or a well performing school and do very poorly (In which case they'll have probably discarded your application anyway.) They compare you against the other students who've applied for your college, for your course to choose the best candidates. And don't forget, A*s are just one part of the application.
Reply 93
I'm sorry if this sounds stupid but what if someone got 8A* and 2C's would their pA* still be 80%?
Reply 94
Original post by NeemSingh
I'm sorry if this sounds stupid but what if someone got 8A* and 2C's would their pA* still be 80%?

As far as I understand it, it doesn't matter if the non A*s are Es, Bs, As or whatever - seems a bit unfair tbh. So yeah, that would be 80%
Original post by george424

As far as I understand it, it doesn't matter if the non A*s are Es, Bs, As or whatever - seems a bit unfair tbh. So yeah, that would be 80%

Mufasa!
Hmmm, why is this thread constantly devoid of life? Is everyone in a state of despair and lost hope after the BMAT? :tongue:
When does Oxford get our bmat scores?
Reply 98
Original post by MSheekey
When does Oxford get our bmat scores?

A week before us I believe, which would mean last Thursday. I think last year they gave interview invites from around 1st December
A week before us I believe, which would mean last Thursday. I think last year they gave interview invites from around 1st December

ahh, ok, thank you,, though its a little nervewracking to think that they already know...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending