The Student Room Group

Am I going to get drowned in work?

My subjects are

English Literature

History

Sociology

Psychology

I don't read to be honest, I got As in Lit and Lang GCSEs though.

Apparently Psychology is hard and alot of work for a non respected subject.

All subjects are essays and high content of work

Yup, they're all essays. Psychology is not that difficult. You will need to read in your spare time if you plan on being successful in English Literature.
Reply 2
It will be hard, but nowhere near being drowned. There is a fair bit of reading in English Literature, and you will actually have to do it all, whereas at GCSE you could probably get away without it. Psychology is fine if you can write essays well, same for history (although the subject matter is more difficult). I don't know anything about sociology. Don't worry, lots of peope fo 5 ASs (including myself) and still get straight As. And if you feel like you're struggling after a few weeks you can always swap one.
I never had that much work for English or History, just an essay every so often for English, revising for tests in History. I never even finished my set text for English, in all honesty and I got an A. I love reading but we didn't have to do that much for English except the one I never finished (Pride and Prejudice - hated it). The rest we just went through in class...Just listen and make notes for both and you'll be fine. Exam technique is very important for History so start doing it right from the start, because even if your knowledge is great, if you don't have the technique down you won't do well. Also, be prepared for lots of stupid hoop-jumping and Assessment Objectives in English.
(edited 12 years ago)
Psychology is not hard. Techically none of them are, but they sure as hell require a lot of work, being essay subjects and all. Out of Chem, Bio, Physics and Psychology, the latter took up the most time remembering names, but it wasn't hard. If you have a good memory, it shouldn't be too hard.
Reply 5
Original post by tory88
It will be hard, but nowhere near being drowned. There is a fair bit of reading in English Literature, and you will actually have to do it all, whereas at GCSE you could probably get away without it. Psychology is fine if you can write essays well, same for history (although the subject matter is more difficult). I don't know anything about sociology. Don't worry, lots of peope fo 5 ASs (including myself) and still get straight As. And if you feel like you're struggling after a few weeks you can always swap one.

ohh okay, I think I can :smile: we just started Nazzi GErmany and how they (Hitler) came to power starting 1918 so I'll think I'll go read the book to be ahead.

Original post by Boom.Squish
I never had that much work for English or History, just an essay every so often for English, revising for tests in History. I never even finished my set text for English, in all honesty and I got an A...Just listen in class and make notes and you'll be fine.

Ohh, I really want an A in English Lit but 30% of the overall A Level and 20% of the overall As is creative writing :frown: Fml Any tips?

Original post by WhatamIdoing
Psychology is not hard. Techically none of them are, but they sure as hell require a lot of work, being essay subjects and all. Out of Chem, Bio, Physics and Psychology, the latter took up the most time remembering names, but it wasn't hard. If you have a good memory, it shouldn't be too hard.

What did you get in PSychology? and any tips?
Reply 6
You will need to read at least the novels you study in class for English Literature, and will have to submit essays (we did on a weekly basis, but it may vary in your school). But if you want a successful grade then it's much better to read around the subject. In fact, that was the point drilled into us in every subject when I started A Levels :tongue:
Original post by Jonesdawiz

What did you get in PSychology? and any tips?

I got high As in all both papers, so an A :smile:. I got four As but my main tip would be to give time to each subject every day. People may think, 'hur hur why would I do that if I don't have Biology till Friday?', but it gives you time to digest everything, then come the exam you don't have to revise so much, because you know everything so well already. Revise a little consistently, not a lot at once before the exam.
Reply 8
Only if your job is a life guard....and only then its a maybe.

:awesome:
Reply 9
Original post by WhatamIdoing
I got high As in all both papers, so an A :smile:. I got four As but my main tip would be to give time to each subject every day. People may think, 'hur hur why would I do that if I don't have Biology till Friday?', but it gives you time to digest everything, then come the exam you don't have to revise so much, because you know everything so well already. Revise a little consistently, not a lot at once before the exam.

So read over the work I've done and stuff? Should I read over everything each day?
Original post by Jonesdawiz
So read over the work I've done and stuff? Should I read over everything each day?

Your notes you make in class, and any handouts, yes.
Reply 11
Psychology's hard. I got an E (because we barely had a teacher and I can't self-teach myself a subject I've never come across). Then I resat and got a B (9 ums off an A.) You need to UNDERSTAND the things. You can't just memorise, you have to understand. That's all i've got xD

Quick Reply

Latest