Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

* POLL * Should Cannabis be legal in the UK?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
  • View Poll Results: Should Cannabis be legal?
    Yes
    60.54%
    No
    34.35%
    Undecided
    5.10%

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Ban unhealthy foods then?
    I'd rather be sat next to someone fat than next to an unpredictable drug addict. They come into my work daily and steal things to keep up their addiction, they often become violent.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linzikins)
    I'd rather be sat next to someone fat than next to an unpredictable drug addict. They come into my work daily and steal things to keep up their addiction, they often become violent.
    That's the problem when it is illegal, drug users are marginalised and so if they wish to seek help they run the risk of being prosecuted. May be I should have stated the death toll that alcohol has instead. Keep forgetting the figures but if a "new" drug did something similar it will be banned within days. Always amusing when politicians advocate the nanny state with drug prohibition on grounds of health when so many of them weigh 15 stone onwards. You're also using a number of irresponsible users to condemn those that would use them appropriately. It appears that this only applies to controlled drugs in society. I'd rather sit next to a light cannabis user than some of the fattest people in the country. At least I'd have a seat.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    That's the problem when it is illegal, drug users are marginalised and so if they wish to seek help they run the risk of being prosecuted. May be I should have stated the death toll that alcohol has instead. Keep forgetting the figures but if a "new" drug did something similar it will be banned within days. Always amusing when politicians advocate the nanny state with drug prohibition on grounds of health when so many of them weigh 15 stone onwards. You're also using a number of irresponsible users to condemn those that would use them appropriately. It appears that this only applies to controlled drugs in society. I'd rather sit next to a light cannabis user than some of the fattest people in the country. At least I'd have a seat.
    Even if it was legal addiction would still be an issue. People get depressed and turn to drugs to become 'numb'. Now make it legal for them to get it then I just see the problem becoming worse. I assume you either take it yourself or you come from an area that isn't crawling with addicts....They are more common than you think in poorer areas. Surely seeing the damage alcohol does would be an incentive to not legalise it.....

In my eyes drugs just destroy people and I don't see the point in using them for 'fun'.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    Tobacco costs about £6 for 25 grams and is highly taxed.
    Cannabis costs £150 - > £200 for 28 grams.

I wasn't relating cannabis price to tobacco price. I was merely using it as an example of prices being increased.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llessur123)
    I wasn't relating cannabis price to tobacco price.
    Well you should. If you can buy tobacco at £6 an ounce there is no reason why cannabis should cost significantly more than £6 an ounce when legal.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes, for medicinal purposes only.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linzikins)
    Even if it was legal addiction would still be an issue. People get depressed and turn to drugs to become 'numb'. Now make it legal for them to get it then I just see the problem becoming worse. I assume you either take it yourself or you come from an area that isn't crawling with addicts....They are more common than you think in poorer areas. Surely seeing the damage alcohol does would be an incentive to not legalise it.....

In my eyes drugs just destroy people and I don't see the point in using them for 'fun'.
    I don't take cannabis and I don't believe my town is crawling with addicts. I can barely afford alcohol right now so there's no chance of being able to smoke cannabis. I dislike health militance, when, at the same time, the ruling elite are easily persuaded by bodily sovereignty when the abortion argument crops up, or the selling of kidneys for that matter. You either believe people should do what they like with their bodies, or you don't. I have "seen" the dangers of alcohol, I've lost a classmate who died from alcohol poisoning. I'd even happily advocate prohibition but it does not work. Humans always want hedonistic desires so, for me, it's all about damage limitation. But if cannabis did that the tabloid press would be all over it and the MPs will bend over for the media for further controls on drugs. They have previous with ketamine and mephedrone. It won't be long before khat is next. To be honest, I have more of an issue with gambling and abusive loans being given than cannabis if we are looking at it from the harm perspective.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    Well you should. If you can buy tobacco at £6 an ounce there is no reason why cannabis should cost significantly more than £6 an ounce when legal.

Tobacco and cannabis are not the same things therefore they can't really be compared. The only thing they have in common is you smoke them. Cannabis has much stronger effects, and generally it is harder to cultivate. There is no real reason why they should be the same price. Take this up with drug lords, not me. It's going completely off my original point, I can't do anything about the price of cannabis unfortunately.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: September 8, 2011
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.