The Student Room Group

Got a C in maths at gcse but thinking of doing Statictics at As level

Well basically i got a C in gcse maths and im gonna do AS maths with Statictics :biggrin:

Is this the right choice and what are youre views on Statictics?

btw I'm willing to do loads of extra work.
Reply 1
You answered your own question! as long as you work hard, do your homework, do extra work at home and past papers then you should come out with a decent grade!! :smile::smile:
The difference between Maths and Statistics A-Levels is the Algebra. Statistics is relatively straightforward, and only AQA offers a full A-Level where as OCR has just an AS-Level. A-Levels are far more concerned with your own efforts and understanding, GCSE is nothing in comparison. Alot of practice of past questions is the most effective way to gain the highest examination grade.
Reply 3
I wouldn't recommend it to be brutally honest, unless a) you really truly mean you are willing to work much harder and b) the only reason you got a C is because you did literally no work. It is a BIG step-up to AS from GCSE maths, and I saw far too many people with As and Bs at GCSE drop out/fail this year.
Reply 4
I wouldn't recommend it to be brutally honest, unless a) you really truly mean you are willing to work much harder and b) the only reason you got a C is because you did literally no work. It is a BIG step-up to AS from GCSE maths, and I saw far too many people with As and Bs at GCSE drop out/fail this year.

That's true i didnt do a lot of work, and in the one unit i did i got full marks.
Im going to study really hard. I mean it.

Thanks for the helpfull comments guy!
Reply 5
Original post by DonJuan

I have to agree with this.
24% was a C grade on this years Edexcel exam
47% was a B

From experience, MANY B grade students struggle and TBH we as a school would not allow a pupil with a C grade (current grade) on to an A level course for their own good.
I appreciate you may not have been 100% flat out in your GCSE but it says 2 things to me
(i) You simply haven't covered or understood any of the higher syllabus.
(ii) Your work ethic MAY not be sufficient to bridge the gap.

I am not for one moment saying you can't do it or won't do well but from experience I have never seen a true C grade student do well and in recent years 'true B grade' students are in the main struggling with D/E/U grades.

Its really important you have the choice of what to study but at the same time its very important to study qualifications suited to your needs and abiilty.
I have had some waste a year of AS kidding themselves it would be 'alright on the night'
One got 18 UMS out of 300...yes...one, eight after getting a secure B at GCSE.

The jump from where you are going to where you have been will be big but if you are willing I wish you all the best.

There are some good transition materials out there.
Sorry OP but Browny is giving you good advice here.
Reply 7
I wish there were more students like you. Lower the grade boundaries for us. :smile:
I agree with Miss Brown. To back up her argument, I got an A* at GCSE and really struggled with the core Maths modules for AS...so unless there's a REALLY good reason why you got a C at GCSE I really wouldn't risk it. Surely there are 3/4 other subjects that you'd be better at or would be more relevant to what you want to do at uni/later in life?
Reply 9
I got an A at GCSE and then got:

C in C1 (1 mark of a B)
U in C2
U in S1

EEEEEEEE overall. hope this helps. But to be honest it all depends on YOU!
(edited 12 years ago)
OP go for it. I got a grade A at GCSE Mathematics, but i worked sooooo hard. If i didn't put the work in, i would have probably got a low B or high C. A-level Statistics is dead easy, unlike A-level Maths providing you work hard. Somebody with a little bit of ability in Maths could easily get a grade B, through VERY HARD work in A-level stats. i got an A in A-level Stats through working like a b****!
Reply 11
I did a level maths with statistics, and i found statistics the hardest (or the most boring) (I did aqa if that makes any difference)

GCSE- A
C1-A
C2-A
S1-B
C3-A
C4-A
S2-C
Overall A

If you enjoy statistics, then go for it, but in my opinion, statistics was hell and boring...
Reply 12
Statistics is said to be easier than Mechanics but some people question this. Mechanics might well be easier for someone studying Physics.

My friend did Maths with Stats with an A at GCSE. She got an A at AS with A's in the Cores and a B in S1, then dropped to an overall B at A Level. She had the best work ethic I've seen. Another friend got an A at GCSE and a D at AS.
no statistics is a shocking subject, all written paragraph questions, what a load of rubbish, but i guess thats what you sign up for, i got a A with little efford for gcse but yeh, i still found statistics challenging...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending