The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Supermarkets or shops in Manchester

What supermarkets are the closest to Manchester university and are the best (cheapest)? Thank you very much.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Supermarkets are hard to come by unless you are outside the city centre :smile: if you are living in the city centre expect to pay higher prices in the tescos and sainburys as they charge more...purely as they are a convenience store!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by amylynne
Supermarkets are hard to come by unless you are outside the city centre :smile: if you are living in the city centre expect to pay higher prices in the tescos and sainburys as they charge more...purely as they are a convenience store!

And are they close to the university? What distance?
Reply 3
My friend will be studying at MMU and I went with her to check out the accom offered a few days ago. She will be staying at the south residence (opposite curry mile), there's an alley way leading to it where there is a shop called 'worldwide foodstore' it's south asian but it has loadsssss of fresh fruit and veg available as well as cheap cuts of meat. I know this because there are branches of this shop in my city too. I saw a lot of students doing their shopping there and in my experience these asian grocers are much much cheaper compared to any supermarket out there.
there is a huuuuuuge asda a short taxi ride away, probably about 5 mins in the car.. but there is probably a bus to there too :smile:

edit: just checked and there is a bus from the uni to asda
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
So, there aren't any close to uni supermarkets or groceries as I understand, right?
Reply 6
youre not in a third world country there will be a supermarket
Reply 7
Original post by lovely_me
youre not in a third world country there will be a supermarket

So, that what I was asking. What supermarket or grocery is the cheapest/best near the uni.
There's a sainsburies local on Oxford road, another one on the road going out of Manchester from market street, and a Tescos local on market street. There's a guy who sells cheap fruit on market street, the manchester market usually has some good deals on fresh fruit and veg, and there are some cheap asian supermarkets in China town. Failing that, get the met/bus to the trafford centre and use the asda there.
Reply 9
Original post by tom4s
So, that what I was asking. What supermarket or grocery is the cheapest/best near the uni.

dont neg subs.
Reply 10
Original post by lovely_me
dont neg subs.

?

Well, I understand that I will need to take a bus for buying food, it's pity, but ok.

What about prices in McDonalds? Let's say for one cheeseburger?
Reply 11
What halls are you in? If you're in the center of manchester (main campus) the biggest cheap shops will be ASDA in hulme (heard it can be rough round there but haven't experienced this personally) and the ALDI on market street. If you are in rusholme there is a LIDL on the main road and an ASDA 30 mins walk away in longsight (definitely somewhere to avoid at night, or on your own). Not too sure about fallowfield, but there is a tesco extra a mile or so south of there which should be cheap. Basically, wherever you are in the city you are never more than 5 mins away from a tesco metro or a sainsburys local, but these should be avoided like the plague unless there is a special offer as larger supermarkets are so much cheaper. I think there is a quality save opposite picadilly gardens met stop which tends to be pretty cheap, although I haven't actually been in there for years. I dare say there are a few more smaller discount stores around the city like this, but I can't remember any others specifically so I would advise to ask older students where they do their shopping :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by heafymatt
What halls are you in? If you're in the center of manchester (main campus) the biggest cheap shops will be ASDA in hulme (heard it can be rough round there but haven't experienced this personally) and the ALDI on market street. If you are in rusholme there is a LIDL on the main road and an ASDA 30 mins walk away in longsight (definitely somewhere to avoid at night, or on your own). Not too sure about fallowfield, but there is a tesco extra a mile or so south of there which should be cheap. Basically, wherever you are in the city you are never more than 5 mins away from a tesco metro or a sainsburys local, but these should be avoided like the plague unless there is a special offer as larger supermarkets are so much cheaper. I think there is a quality save opposite picadilly gardens met stop which tends to be pretty cheap, although I haven't actually been in there for years. I dare say there are a few more smaller discount stores around the city like this, but I can't remember any others specifically so I would advise to ask older students where they do their shopping :smile:

Whitworth park.
Reply 13
Original post by tom4s
?

Well, I understand that I will need to take a bus for buying food, it's pity, but ok.

What about prices in McDonalds? Let's say for one cheeseburger?

Sorry for this double post - couldn't be arsed editing the other one.

Cheeseburger is £1 as it is on the poundsaver menu.

Some bus companies print vouchers for Big Mac and Fries for £2 on the back of their tickets which is a great deal but it is only accepted at mcdonalds without a drivethru.

Also while I remember when shopping for alcohol there is a chinese shop in chinatown which sells high percentage spirits for reasonable prices and tesco occasionally has a multibuy deal on larger which means you can buy larger for 50p per tinny. Cider is available for about £2 a bottle in some stores too :smile:

If you're in whitworth park then LIDL or ASDA hulme are your nearest cheap shops I think. (corner shops can be competitive on alcohol and some small purchases)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by heafymatt
Sorry for this double post - couldn't be arsed editing the other one.

Cheeseburger is £1 as it is on the poundsaver menu.

Some bus companies print vouchers for Big Mac and Fries for £2 on the back of their tickets which is a great deal but it is only accepted at mcdonalds without a drivethru.

Also while I remember when shopping for alcohol there is a chinese shop in chinatown which sells high percentage spirits for reasonable prices and tesco occasionally has a multibuy deal on larger which means you can buy larger for 50p per tinny. Cider is available for about £2 a bottle in some stores too :smile:

If you're in whitworth park then LIDL or ASDA hulme are your nearest cheap shops I think.

Thank you very much for your help. And what do you mean by saying (heard it can be rough round there but haven't experienced this personally)? There are many thieves?
Original post by tom4s
Whitworth park.

Good idea for a thread.

Btw, where are you staying in WP?
Reply 16
Original post by tom4s
Thank you very much for your help. And what do you mean by saying (heard it can be rough round there but haven't experienced this personally)? There are many thieves?

I found all of this out by searching for supermarkets on Google, as I will be starting Manchester as a first year. What I mean is hulme is one of the stereotypically rough areas of manchester, as it is close to moss side so I assume muggings are common at night. I have only walked through hulme twice and both times have been with my friends in early evening which would make us less of a target to thieves, but there was defiantly no trouble those times. I think hulme is probably safer than moss side though, although I saw this on wikipedia:

Analysts trace the 1970s origins of Manchester's gang crime to social deprivation in the south-central part of the city Hulme, Longsight and Moss Side where it was difficult to make money by legitimate means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moss_Side

Having said that, I've looked at streetview a bit and longsight looks far more horrible than hulme, and hulme looks like it'd be fine in the day. Since it's quite far it'd probably be best to get the bus there and back like someone else said and go in the day to be safer :smile:

To be honest I think I'll steer clear and do my shopping in LIDL if the prices are decent there.
Reply 17
You are in Manchester! big city = full of shops :tongue:
Reply 18
I just found it was easier to order the bulk of my shopping online. The Sainsburys local or the Spar are good if you're only looking for bread and milk, other stuff's pricey. As was said before, the Aldi on Market Street's good for everything else. There's also a nice fruit and veg stall on Oxford Road that does some nice stuff.
Reply 19
Which are the bigges supermarkets/shops/mall in Manchester? It doesn't matter if they are close to Uni or not, Í'm asking just out of curiosity :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending