Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Question and Answer Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi

The open days for the management school - as you're studying economics - are on the 28th Jan (Sat), 22nd Feb (Wed) and 11 Mar (Sat).

I'm an ambassador for the management school as well as being a final year student. The open days are really imformative and you should really come up. A lot of people say they know after the open day (or even as soon as they walk onto campus) if this is the place for them.
You'll get to have talks on the uni and your course, a tour of campus by one of the current students, and watch a quick video on student life - not everyone is up on a Sat at 10.30 to show it to you student life early in the day. :wink:

Also, if you're staying over, we're all heading out to an Indian restaurant on campus after the open day (all the ambassadors, a couple of very friendly members of staff) and we'd like students who are staying over to come and join us.

In repsonse to it being far away for an open day, you can get the train up and the ambasadors will be meeting people at Preston station to go up on a coach (the trainline is being serviced on weekends until April). There are also plenty of places to stay over, either on campus or in a hotel or b&b.

Sorry this was such a long one! Check out my website for a bit more info www.helenbennett.net

Helen
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 21
katie_m4
Is it hard to get used to budgeting, and is it easy to get home from Lancaster? x

Mwahaha I have a budget of ... £22 a week :p: Getting home... I don't know, haven't been! The term goes so fast that you probably won't go home that much, and at the end of term your parents will miss you so much they'll come and pick you up! :wink:
LubyLoo
Okay seeming as Lancaster have let prospective students know of this site, we may as well make good use of it.

So any questions you want to ask, go ahead, and me and whoever other current student is online will try and ask them as best as we can.

To help matters, I study Sociology, Criminology and Education Studies and am in Lonsdale College.

So ask away. :smile:

hiya, ye im thinkin of coming to lancaster this year. is it good? hows the nightlife? I'm thinking about taking criminology. How r u finding it? wot sort of things do u study? cant decide whether to go to lancaster so plzzzz lemme no if its a good uni? thankin u, becky xxx :redface:
Reply 23
pink_mini_minx
hiya, ye im thinkin of coming to lancaster this year. is it good? hows the nightlife? I'm thinking about taking criminology. How r u finding it? wot sort of things do u study? cant decide whether to go to lancaster so plzzzz lemme no if its a good uni? thankin u, becky xxx :redface:

Is it good? Yes. Weather is pretty dismal, but we do live in Britain after all.

How's the nightlife? Lancaster's nightlife is aimed at students. There are several threads on here about it. But I personally think you can have a good night out, plus there are 9 bars on campus.

How am I finding Criminology? Well put it this way I'm switching to Criminology from Sociology next year. It's a really interesting course. Dunno what else to say about it really.

It is a good uni, otherwise I wouldn't be here. People seem to be friendly enough too. :smile:
Reply 24
If another group of italians walk into me on the spine again I will buy a ******* uzi.
Are the open days that are coming up soon for students and parents or just for students?
I don't know about all subjects but my parents came with me to mine... loads of parents do. Usually they have activities for the students while the parents have a chat or something like that. :smile:
When I went to the open day (im a final year student now) my department had a talk for the students (and a tour) while the parents had a separate tour and talk about fees/uni life and any concerns they may have about thier little darlings going off to uni for the first time type thing :smile:

Do come up you will enjoy it, its just a shame the main open days arent in summer its great to see campus very lively in the sunshine on the grass near the ducks having BBQ's and on the steps in Alex square.
Reply 28
Do any of the bars or social areas have Sky TV to watch sport on??

Thanks.
Yes I know Grizedale does, and most collages have a tv room which may have sky tv.
Reply 30
Can anybody use the Grizdale bar or is it just for students living at that college?

Also, are the TV rooms shared by everyone? (so there is likely to be a good atmosphere?)
Reply 31
tom5
Can anybody use the Grizdale bar or is it just for students living at that college?

Also, are the TV rooms shared by everyone? (so there is likely to be a good atmosphere?)

Anyone can go to any bar.
Reply 32
tom5
Do any of the bars or social areas have Sky TV to watch sport on??

Thanks.

I think every bar except Furness (boooo) has a tv with sky. Most have one of those big projector things, I watch on average ... 6 football matches a week in Fylde bar, it rocks :biggrin:
Reply 33
Lonsdale has a nice big screen and is normally quite full for big games, particularly Man United Vs Liverpool as they have by far the most supporters in my college. only problem is only 1 bar has Prem+ games, i think it's Fylde, but don't quote me on it :wink: .
Reply 34
hey i'm hoping to do accounting and finance....do you like the course.
lv em x
Reply 35
lilem5588
lv em x

have you had a decision about the auditing course yet? i got an offer for the 'normal' lancaster course too so hopefull i'll see you there and i got an offer from leeds! xx
Reply 36
floss
have you had a decision about the auditing course yet? i got an offer for the 'normal' lancaster course too so hopefull i'll see you there and i got an offer from leeds! xx

hey no i haven't had an offer for the auditing one yet but i know some people who have been invited down to london so maybe i'm not gona get one ah well. I'm definitely going to lancaster, i think the normal course seems really good anyway.
have u got myspace ? if you have add me n we can keep in touch>
http://www.myspace.com/12810301
ooo its so excitin goin to uni i cant wait.
lvs em xxx
Reply 37
lilem5588
lv em x

Yeh the course is ok. As you probably imagine it's not exactly the most thrilling of courses but it's interesting enough :p: You also have to do Economics as an AcF student which is kinda boring but you'll survive. Then you get 1 other choice (unless you didn't do maths A-Level in which case I think you have to do Management Science) to do anything you want! I randomly chose Computer Science which is pretty fun, it's always nice beating all the people who are majoring in it :wink:

Have a read of my "Review of first term" thread for more info on the courses and pm me if you have any questions :smile:
Reply 38
Random change of direction coming up.
I can't find this info on the website at all.
Bedding - what is provided, what do you need to bring, does it vary between colleges?
And if it is on the website, where?
If you go here: http://www.lancs.ac.uk/depts/cro/frontpage.htm and then scroll down to 'download brochures', in the drop down bit there's an option for the residents handbook (which you'll get sent after you choose your accommodation anyway but it's always handy to read in advance).

As for bedding, you're provided with a mattress and that's it. You can buy a bedding pack for about £40, I think... don't quote me on that! So anyway, it's cheaper to bring pillows, duvet, sheet, duvet covers, pillow cases and all that stuff from home. Also, bring more than one set of duvet/pillow covers because there's no was in a million years you'll be motivated enough to wash one set regularly. :p:

Hope that helped! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest