The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Question and Answer Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lilacs
do you recommend getting a bedding pack from Lancs online shop or get one from town? I am not really sure I want to go and look for one in town after my arrival.

Sooner or later you will have to become acquainted with town, n'est-ce pas?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
what's the deal with smoking in the accomodation? allowed or will I have to waddle off towards the nearest smoking area braving the apparently common wind and rain.
Original post by Not Guilty
what's the deal with smoking in the accomodation? allowed or will I have to waddle off towards the nearest smoking area braving the apparently common wind and rain.

You can't smoke in halls, you have to go outside.
Original post by Not Guilty

You can't smoke inside but you can smoke right outside where there are usually covers near the doors. Also, the cleaners from my buildings smoke in the bin sheds when its raining, which are 5 seconds walk from the door of the flat.
Reply 4084
Any idea which courses can't be chosen as minors?
Anyone know if there any rules regarding heavy items being delivered to on-campus? Not big, just heavy, and it's to Cartmel.

I've ordered a few posters in the past and the porters said they weren't fussed by big items, just curious about heavy ones.
Original post by Sheepmaster317
Anyone know if there any rules regarding heavy items being delivered to on-campus? Not big, just heavy, and it's to Cartmel.

I've ordered a few posters in the past and the porters said they weren't fussed by big items, just curious about heavy ones.

I had a 40kg parcel delivered once. The porters didn't say anything about it, although they did offer me a trolley to get it back to my room. For some stupid reason, I declined - I got it back to my 4th floor room [no lift] eventually lol. :colondollar:

You could always check with your porters, but I can't see it being a major problem. :smile: Usually the company delivering it will use a trolley etc to get it to the porters and they will have trolleys there to use to move it too. :smile:
Original post by affinity89
I had a 40kg parcel delivered once. The porters didn't say anything about it, although they did offer me a trolley to get it back to my room. For some stupid reason, I declined - I got it back to my 4th floor room [no lift] eventually lol. :colondollar:

You could always check with your porters, but I can't see it being a major problem. :smile: Usually the company delivering it will use a trolley etc to get it to the porters and they will have trolleys there to use to move it too. :smile:

Thanks very much :smile: I was looking at 20kg getting delivered, so if 40kg was alright then I imagine 20kg should be no problem :smile:
Reply 4088
I was wondering if anyone thinks it's totally necessary to get a laptop of my own while I'm there, or is it pretty easy to get by without one?
Is there a massive battle/constraints over using the public computers?
I realise there's this LUVLE thing, and student emails etc. but I'm just trying to 'weigh up my options' really.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4089
Original post by ehc
I was wondering if anyone thinks it's totally necessary to get a laptop of my own while I'm there, or is it pretty easy to get by without one?
Is there a massive battle/constraints over using the public computers?
I realise there's this LUVLE thing, and student emails etc. but I'm just trying to 'weigh up my options' really.

LUVLE will (hopefully) be dead by the start of next year. We are moving to Moodle.

As for using a laptop, well, I'd personally get one, because it can be very convenient to not have to go to the other computer rooms as a CS student, but it's up to you.
ehc
X

Original post by Tathrim
LUVLE will (hopefully) be dead by the start of next year. We are moving to Moodle.

God, I hope not. I find it confusing and difficult to navigate. Someone on my course actually did his coursework on the wrong thing because he couldn't find the brief hidden within the system. And then when I went to show him, it took me 10 minutes to find it as well!

As for using a laptop, well, I'd personally get one, because it can be very convenient to not have to go to the other computer rooms as a CS student, but it's up to you.

I agree with this, I couldn't live without mine, but that's probably because I have a condition in my hands that makes it impossible for me to write. I would say you'd be taking chances with not having your own, especially in like the last week of term when pretty much all subjects have essay deadlines it'll be quite busy and you might not be able to get one.
We have our own computer lab in our department which is only for 2nd and 3rd years and even then it's sometimes difficult to get a computer at times when its approaching deadline time (particularly dissertation deadlines).
I think having your own PC makes a big difference. At peak times, it can be hard to get onto a university computer - even with all the computers available - and it is a lot easier if you have access to that sort of thing in your university room. Plus, to be honest, most people use their laptops for a lot of different things - as a TV [through iPlayer/catchup], for their music, and to keep in touch with people [eg, through Skype]. :smile:

Have a look around. You can pick up decent laptops for around £200. :smile:
I paid £250 for my latest one and it has a really good spec, a big hard drive and has a proper keyboard [with the number key pad - yay! :redface:] brand new.
Shops like Aria are good for getting a decent deal. :smile:
Reply 4092
Sweet, thanks to everyone who replied :smile:
If you're looking to get a new laptop, this site is great and quite a bit cheaper than most others

http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/
Reply 4094
Does anybody know how much the deposit for accommodation is?
Original post by lora_s
Does anybody know how much the deposit for accommodation is?

£200
Reply 4096
Original post by minimarshmallow
£200

thanks!
but do i have to pay the rent for a month or two in advance as well? or is accommodation paid in installments throughout the year?
Original post by lora_s
thanks!
but do i have to pay the rent for a month or two in advance as well? or is accommodation paid in installments throughout the year?

3 payments - one per term, usually a week or two after the student loan due date. :smile:
Original post by lora_s
thanks!

Yup, just as affinity89 said it's three instalments throughout the year.
The two years I've been here, the rent payment has been due on the Friday of week 1. Student loans are normally paid on or before the Friday of the week before that (so Friday of Freshers' week for the first term, and the Friday before term starts on the other two). You can pay before Friday week 1 (i.e. as soon as your money goes in is usually best) and it is done online. The relevant links etc. will be given to you when you get there - I think it's in the residents handbook but I have it bookmarked so I'm not sure because I haven't looked at it since freshers' week last year.
Also, if your loan is late for whatever reason and you think you are going to miss the due date for your rent just pop into see your accommodation officer (you'll learn who that is and where they are when you arrive, or just ask your freshers' reps) and they'll be able to stop the late fees you would normally be charged.
When can we start applying for accomodation?
Also is it 'first come first served'?
I insured my offer on Friday :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending