The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Question and Answer Thread

Scroll to see replies

Acceptance letter and proof of funding if you need it... I didn't bring my IB certificates because the info gets sent to UCAS and they confirm you get your results... I presume it operates the same for A-levels o.0
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Forever a Gnome
Anyone know when the best time to be applying for jobs around town next year is? I know a lot of the on campus/lusu ones are already hiring, but I can't find a lot in terms of places in town...

I am pretty sure LUSU shops hire at the beginning of each term because of people's timetables they need quite a few employees. I would just apply for jobs asap before people realise they don't have enough money to live off (probably around Decemberish round my house)
Has anyone heard anything about applying for accomodation yet?
Reply 4123
does anyone know when can we move in Grad's college?
Original post by Tathrim
A-Levels as a photocopy and your acceptance letters should be all you need.

Original post by cambo211
Pretty sure i just had my acceptance letter for enrollment.

Original post by bownessie
Acceptance letter and proof of funding if you need it... I didn't bring my IB certificates because the info gets sent to UCAS and they confirm you get your results... I presume it operates the same for A-levels o.0

Thank you all. :smile:

Original post by BeccaCath94
Has anyone heard anything about applying for accomodation yet?

They've not sent an email out yet, but:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=37738367
Hey, I have got an offer to do Accounting and Finance, and I have a couple of questions regarding accommodation. Firstly, what are the colleges that are quite near to the Business Lecture hall (As I can be quite lazy at times and if I have a long walk I will probably be late all the time!).
Secondly, I want to get involved in a lot of sport. For this reason I am drawn to Fylde. But someone told me that unless you are really good its hard to be able to play? I am ok at sport, but I am not really good at anything in particular...
Would I have more of a chance to play sport if I went to another college where people are less focused on sport, but then I feel like people won't want to play?
Original post by Helpmeplease1
Secondly, I want to get involved in a lot of sport. For this reason I am drawn to Fylde. But someone told me that unless you are really good its hard to be able to play? I am ok at sport, but I am not really good at anything in particular...
Would I have more of a chance to play sport if I went to another college where people are less focused on sport, but then I feel like people won't want to play?

The standard of our (Fylde) football/netball teams are pretty high, but anyone can take part in Carter Shield and they tend to have a range of slightly less common sports, like rounders, dodgeball and ultimate frisbee, so that would probably be something you would be interested in I imagine? Early on as well they usually need more freshers to fill out the positions left by the third years that graduated as well and they always have taster sessions before the actual events as well.
You can also join the society for a particular sport at the university level rather than the college level, but you'll find out about that at the freshers' fair. And anyone can join the gym so say you wanted to play squash you could find a partner and both go play at the gym!

You'd also be better off in this thread with this question: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1943672
Original post by minimarshmallow
The standard of our (Fylde) football/netball teams are pretty high, but anyone can take part in Carter Shield and they tend to have a range of slightly less common sports, like rounders, dodgeball and ultimate frisbee, so that would probably be something you would be interested in I imagine? Early on as well they usually need more freshers to fill out the positions left by the third years that graduated as well and they always have taster sessions before the actual events as well.
You can also join the society for a particular sport at the university level rather than the college level, but you'll find out about that at the freshers' fair. And anyone can join the gym so say you wanted to play squash you could find a partner and both go play at the gym!

You'd also be better off in this thread with this question: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1943672

Thank you, one quick question... I am looking to play Tennis/squash, possibly ultimate frisbee and canoeing. Given these choices, would it be difficult to get into a team in Fylde.

I think I am drawn more towards Fylde because I heard they have a good social side, as well as sporting. And as an added bonus it isn't too far away from the Accounting and Finance lectures :biggrin:
Original post by Helpmeplease1
Thank you, one quick question... I am looking to play Tennis/squash, possibly ultimate frisbee and canoeing. Given these choices, would it be difficult to get into a team in Fylde.

I think I am drawn more towards Fylde because I heard they have a good social side, as well as sporting. And as an added bonus it isn't too far away from the Accounting and Finance lectures :biggrin:

I'm pretty sure we don't have college teams for those sports (except if they come up in Carter Shield like ultimate frisbee), so you'd probably just join the uni society and they'll match you up with someone of your ability level to play with or if you're really good (or get really good) you might make the uni team and play other unis and perhaps at Roses. But there are plenty of opportunities for casual sports player and casual competition.

Is accounting and finance in the management school (clueless about anything that isn't my degree)? If so, the only ones closer than us are Grizedale!
All colleges are pretty social, it just depends on the degree of social-ness you want. And there's nothing stopping you from going on other college's socials (for example the Furness 15 Hour Bar Crawl) if your college doesn't live up to expectations!
One last question, I am stuck choosing between County and Bowland as my second choice. Bowland is slightly closer, but I heard that the accommodation isn't as nice, and its not at social as County?
Reply 4130
How easy is it to change course at Lancaster (courses that are in different departments)? I'm thinking of changing my course and I'm not sure whether to write to them now or wait until freshers week.
Original post by binnie_
How easy is it to change course at Lancaster (courses that are in different departments)? I'm thinking of changing my course and I'm not sure whether to write to them now or wait until freshers week.

Can't hurt to ask now.
Original post by binnie_

I did this last year (changing from NatScis to Biology) and I had a friend who did it (English Lit to Business studies) and we both contacted the university beforehand. It isn't terribly hard to do once you get here, but, presuming the deparments are happy, it is very easy to do beforehand as well. You will need to email the department you want to switch to first, get confirmation that they will take you, then write your old department and inform them of the change. Hope that helps!
I did this last year (changing from NatScis to Biology) and I had a friend who did it (English Lit to Business studies) and we both contacted the university beforehand. It isn't terribly hard to do once you get here, but, presuming the deparments are happy, it is very easy to do beforehand as well. You will need to email the department you want to switch to first, get confirmation that they will take you, then write your old department and inform them of the change. Hope that helps!

If you were to change subjects do you still have to satisfy the grade requirements for the new one?
If I were to change, the requirements would go up to what my firm is and Lancs is my insurance....
Can you change once you are at the uni?
If you were to change subjects do you still have to satisfy the grade requirements for the new one?
If I were to change, the requirements would go up to what my firm is and Lancs is my insurance....

Yes, they would go up to the new grade requirement. Yes, you can change once you get here. In the first few days you get tasters of things that you want to do as your minors, but I think you'd find it very easy to change in those first few days of registering etc. You can change any time in the first 3 academic weeks and though they say they only allow it in "exceptional circumstances", fundamentally they are fairly flexible unless you are trying to transfer into a subject like English which is very heavily subscribed. If you tried to transfer in the days of registration or, indeed, the first academic week, I doubt you would have any trouble transferring.

Yes, they would go up to the new grade requirement. Yes, you can change once you get here. In the first few days you get tasters of things that you want to do as your minors, but I think you'd find it very easy to change in those first few days of registering etc. You can change any time in the first 3 academic weeks and though they say they only allow it in "exceptional circumstances", fundamentally they are fairly flexible unless you are trying to transfer into a subject like English which is very heavily subscribed. If you tried to transfer in the days of registration or, indeed, the first academic week, I doubt you would have any trouble transferring.

Pretty much what bownessie just said, with the addition that some courses may be full, in that they only have a certain number of seminar spots and they have all been filled by major and minor students, however, a lot of people change their minors or drop out within the first few weeks so you may be able to be put on a waiting list to be changed that way.
Reply 4136

This helps a lot, thank you!

One last question: Did you and your friend write new personal statements before changing? Especially your friend who even switched departments. I want to transfer in the Management School as well. From Media and Cultural Studies to Economics but the course I want is really heavily subscribed.. so I'm not sure that it's a good idea to ask now.

Ahh thank you :smile:
I'll wait until I get there then and see. Its just i've applied to do maths and german joint hons but now would like to switch to just maths single hons. if i cant change in the first week or so i can change at the end of first year if i take another maths module as a minor so....

Original post by minimarshmallow
Pretty much what bownessie just said, with the addition that some courses may be full, in that they only have a certain number of seminar spots and they have all been filled by major and minor students, however, a lot of people change their minors or drop out within the first few weeks so you may be able to be put on a waiting list to be changed that way.

Ahh yes thats a point. Thank you I can always check i guess :smile:
Original post by binnie_
This helps a lot, thank you!

One last question: Did you and your friend write new personal statements before changing? Especially your friend who even switched departments. I want to transfer in the Management School as well. From Media and Cultural Studies to Economics but the course I want is really heavily subscribed.. so I'm not sure that it's a good idea to ask now.

I didn't, Idk about my friend. I did need to go through a mini interview when switching from biology to history. Seriously, just email them and ask. If you can justify why you want to switch in the email, then you can. Also not that due to the major/minor system you could take 1 part mcs and 2 parts economics (which is what an economics major would do) and could consequently major in economics in years 2 and 3. That wouldn't require you to change anything and would mean that even though you intend to major in economics for years 2 and 3, you would technically be a MCS major.
Ahh thank you :smile:
I'll wait until I get there then and see. Its just i've applied to do maths and german joint hons but now would like to switch to just maths single hons. if i cant change in the first week or so i can change at the end of first year if i take another maths module as a minor so....

Ahh yes thats a point. Thank you I can always check i guess :smile:

I would just write them before you go tbh. You aren't making a major switch. Basically they've said "we are happy that you are predicted to satisfy requirements to study both maths and german at Lancaster". If you asked to change all you would be saying is "thanks, but all I really want to do is maths" to them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending