The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Question and Answer Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi! do any of you know if the university has equipped (drums, piano, amps etc) music practice rooms?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by eggpotato
Hi! do any of you know if the university has equipped (drums, piano, amps etc) music practice rooms?

Indeed it does! There is a practice room/studio with a drum kit and amps in it
Original post by Tom_Anks
Indeed it does! There is a practice room/studio with a drum kit and amps in it

Great! Thanks for answering :smile:
Reply 4503
Does anyone know roughly how many people there are on the accounting and management degree each year? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Pretty new to TSR... Got an offer from Lancaster to do medicine

Was just wondering if someone could give me an idea about the different colleges - is there a college which lots of medics tend to go for?

The other thing was the clinical placements - do you need a car to get to the placements or is transport provided?

Thank you

Katherine
Original post by Curtisjk
Its a big lecture theatre in county. its opposite the bar (inbetween the bar and county south buildings)

anybody know what county south a70 is like during exams, i have an exam in that lecture theatre so wondering are we sat next to people in the exam or is it spaced out?
Original post by blobsy
anybody know what county south a70 is like during exams, i have an exam in that lecture theatre so wondering are we sat next to people in the exam or is it spaced out?

Assuming that it's just County South lecture theatre - you're spaced out. It's permanently small tables. It can be a bit cramped and annoying though because there doesn't seem to be enough space for all of them.
Hi, I am varun from INDIA and i have received my offers from University of Sheffield and Surrey for MSc Information Systems, from University of Nottingham in MSc. Information systems and Operation management and from University of Lancaster and Loughborough for Information technology management. Which of these universities has the best ranking, facility and university life for post graduates. Furthermore, i would like u to help me in deciding on these universities based on various aspects like, teaching quality, reputation and recognition etc... I want an unbiased opinion as this is going to decide my future..

If at al i had to choose between Sheffield, Surrey, Nottingham,Lancaster , Loughborough which of these would be your choice.?
Hi, I am from India.
Have offers from Univ Sheffield , Surrey for masters in Information Systems.
Nottingham, Lancaster, Loughborough for masters related to management in Information technology / information systems.

Help me decide on these univ based on ranking, best facility and student life for post grads. Also on the basis of teaching standards, reputation and recognition among employers. I want an unbiased, straight opinion on the above Univ.

help me choose between these 5 universities.Thank you in advance.
Original post by varun vasudev
Hi, I am from India.
Have offers from Univ Sheffield , Surrey for masters in Information Systems.
Nottingham, Lancaster, Loughborough for masters related to management in Information technology / information systems.

Help me decide on these univ based on ranking, best facility and student life for post grads. Also on the basis of teaching standards, reputation and recognition among employers. I want an unbiased, straight opinion on the above Univ.

help me choose between these 5 universities.Thank you in advance.

There's not one university that best suits every person. All of those unis are good and have different things. I can't speak specifically about the course but there are some things to consider.

Lancaster, Loughborough and Surrey are campus universities, they are slightly separated from the town whereas the other two are in the heart of the city. This has a different feel to it. Lancaster uni is near the city so you aren't isolated in any way and it's nice to have the option to live in town in future years.

If you are looking at things that are compared in league tables I would check http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/
http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2015/may/25/university-league-tables-2016

If you get a chance visit the unis and you will be able to get a feel for them otherwise find out more and look at pictures on the websites.

If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer them.
Hello! So I'm an IB student currently predicted 35 (current grade is lower), and the requirement for the course I want to study is 36-35 points overall...I was wondering what are the acceptance rate? I couldn't find it anywhere :tongue: I'm not sure if I should spend one UCAS space on Lancaster if I just hit the requirement with my predicted grades?
Original post by AgnesGrey1
Hello! So I'm an IB student currently predicted 35 (current grade is lower), and the requirement for the course I want to study is 36-35 points overall...I was wondering what are the acceptance rate? I couldn't find it anywhere :tongue: I'm not sure if I should spend one UCAS space on Lancaster if I just hit the requirement with my predicted grades?

Hi! As a fellow IB student myself, I can honestly say that Lancaster seem to be quite open to the idea of IB and alternative qualifications to the A Level, although they place more demands on prospective IB students than they do A Level (e.g. For my offer, I was offered 32 points, with 16 from my best 3 HLs and a 6 in both of my foreign languages). In addition, they seem to be quite flexible when it comes to the offers they make. Which course do you intend to apply for? Depending on the course in question, the department may be more lenient if they like the student. However, this does depend on the department and the course - my course, which is Modern Languages, has a range of about 3 points. In the end, if you really like the university, it might be worth taking the risk and going for it. Hope this helps :smile:
Hi, I was invited to an Interview Day on November 11th and I was wondering what is the day like? How formal is it, how long is spent on the actual interviews, things like that?
Ive been reading the thread and havent seen it mentioned.

How is Lancaster for older students? Ill be 26 by september and wondering if theres an option for older students to live around other older people. I really dont want to be living with 18 year olds who are enjoying being away from parents for the first time. Ive seen colleges mentioned, is one of them favoured by older people?
I've got an offer to study Geography at Lancaster as well as some other unis in much larger cities. I really loved the campus, course and accommodation at Lancaster however I'm worried about feeling trapped or bored since the city is small and quiet. I've lived in a small village my entire life and wanted to try life in a big city for a change but since the course and campus at Lancaster were perfect for me I think I might be able to compromise. Can any current students tell me about life at Lancaster, the night life and events etc. For example do you often go to Manchester for music events or shopping? Do you get bored much and is the clothes shopping decent?
Original post by acoolstudent
I've got an offer to study Geography at Lancaster as well as some other unis in much larger cities. I really loved the campus, course and accommodation at Lancaster however I'm worried about feeling trapped or bored since the city is small and quiet. I've lived in a small village my entire life and wanted to try life in a big city for a change but since the course and campus at Lancaster were perfect for me I think I might be able to compromise. Can any current students tell me about life at Lancaster, the night life and events etc. For example do you often go to Manchester for music events or shopping? Do you get bored much and is the clothes shopping decent?

Night life was not my area, I didn't go to a club after the first term of second year (Sugarhouse included) so hopefully someone else will help you there (although I regularly went to the cinema, and the Wetherspoons at the top of town is better than the one at the bottom for food, and vice versa for drinks) but in terms of general shopping I found it fine, I usually shop in Wigan which is actually only two train stops down on the mainline because that's the closest place to me at home, half an hour by bus.
Preston is very close, it's the next stop down on the train, takes 20 minutes and I shopped there a fair bit as well, like if I needed something specific for a night out or something.
Lancaster to Manchester is about an hour and a half on the train, so it's not bad if you've got a big shopping trip you want to do, and I did know people that went to gigs at the MEN as well. You can also get to Liverpool Lime Street with one change (at my station of Wigan) in about the same time as well if you're that way inclined (I recommend the museums).

I come from a small-ish town, we don't have a cinema or restaurants or anything like that in our town centre, just a couple of cafes and fast food places and a shopping centre edging towards more empty units than filled ones. I was never bored in Lancaster, there were always things to do and places you could look for (I was late into second year when I spotted my favourite cafe and ate there like the entirety of third year) but I don't know if I'm a typical case.

That was very rambly, hope some of it helped, I'm here to answer any questions that I can.
Original post by minimarshmallow
Night life was not my area, I didn't go to a club after the first term of second year (Sugarhouse included) so hopefully someone else will help you there (although I regularly went to the cinema, and the Wetherspoons at the top of town is better than the one at the bottom for food, and vice versa for drinks) but in terms of general shopping I found it fine, I usually shop in Wigan which is actually only two train stops down on the mainline because that's the closest place to me at home, half an hour by bus.
Preston is very close, it's the next stop down on the train, takes 20 minutes and I shopped there a fair bit as well, like if I needed something specific for a night out or something.
Lancaster to Manchester is about an hour and a half on the train, so it's not bad if you've got a big shopping trip you want to do, and I did know people that went to gigs at the MEN as well. You can also get to Liverpool Lime Street with one change (at my station of Wigan) in about the same time as well if you're that way inclined (I recommend the museums).

I come from a small-ish town, we don't have a cinema or restaurants or anything like that in our town centre, just a couple of cafes and fast food places and a shopping centre edging towards more empty units than filled ones. I was never bored in Lancaster, there were always things to do and places you could look for (I was late into second year when I spotted my favourite cafe and ate there like the entirety of third year) but I don't know if I'm a typical case.

That was very rambly, hope some of it helped, I'm here to answer any questions that I can.

Thanks you!
Hi, I'm going to visit the uni tomorrow and was just curious as to which college/s are good/best for musicians?
Do any colleges have soundproof rooms or studios?
I've an unconditional for Ecology and Conservation, but I need to know if there's a college which will accommodate my instrumental lifestyle =)
Best college for Rugby League at the Uni?
Hello guys!I am curious wether or not there are many study abroad opportunities within university and how hard is to obtain a year abroad as a Combined Honours student (Management, Politics and International Relations) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest