Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Question and Answer Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Retardchar
If you go here: http://www.lancs.ac.uk/depts/cro/frontpage.htm and then scroll down to 'download brochures', in the drop down bit there's an option for the residents handbook (which you'll get sent after you choose your accommodation anyway but it's always handy to read in advance).

As for bedding, you're provided with a mattress and that's it. You can buy a bedding pack for about £40, I think... don't quote me on that! So anyway, it's cheaper to bring pillows, duvet, sheet, duvet covers, pillow cases and all that stuff from home. Also, bring more than one set of duvet/pillow covers because there's no was in a million years you'll be motivated enough to wash one set regularly. :p:

Hope that helped! :biggrin:

Excellent link, thanks a lot!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 41
Hello everyone,

Well, I'm really excited bout coming to Lancaster, baby! :cool:

Anywayz, I've just been having a little browse through the nice shiny gold prospectus, at the other modules you can take aside from your main subject. I'll be doing theatre studies, which takes up two, so I only get one extra one, so I better get it right!

Can anyone tell me about any of these:

Creative Writing (what does this involve? Is it like 'right, this module we're all going to right some romantic poetry?' also, what does your 'porfolio of written work', that you submit, have to include?)

English Language and the media (what is it?)

Independant Studies (eh?)

Media, Film and Cultural Studies

Physics: Universe as an art (what?! Isn't physics a science?)

Anyway, any info would be really helpful :smile: . Thanks in advance,

Joe
Joe_JBB
Creative Writing (what does this involve? Is it like 'right, this module we're all going to right some romantic poetry?' also, what does your 'porfolio of written work', that you submit, have to include?)

In the first year, creative writing is basically an exercise in writing whatever you feel like. You have a two hour seminar every two weeks where you discuss your own and the rest of your groups work. At the end of the year, you submit a portfolio which can either be 8000 words of prose or something like 12 poems. I'm doing creative writing now and loving it. :smile:
Reply 43
English Language and the media - went to the English language open day yester day and there was a talk on this. The guy who does it is ace! lol! Was really good! It's all about the way language is used within media forms e.g. adversitising etc.

I think i'm going to take this as one of my minors as it really did sound great! If not i will take Creative Writing but i don't really know anythin about that one!

Media and Cultural Studies - Went to the lecture on this at the very first open day back in september - again, it looks great! It sounded as if there was a mix of theoretical and practical work which interested me. The two lecturers who gave the talk were also great! Very enthusiastic and interesting. Hopefully will take this as a minor too!

Hope that helps a bit even though i'm not there yet either :biggrin:
Reply 44

Retardchar (or anyone else for that matter): So with the creative writing, does that mean that I could write just plays and a bit of poetry, and not have to do any stories or the like?

Thanks, Joe
I do creative writing! We get told to write up to 2000 words of prose or 2 poems every time, so I suppose you could write plays but most people do stories. There isn't any other regulations. But you'd probably want to have a balance of stories, poems etc in your portfolio at the end to show a wider range of skills.
On a kind of related note, some girl in my creative writing seminar wrote a sex story lol, I don't know whether to be shocked or impressed, and I have to write a 300 word critical piece on it..
Joe_JBB
So with the creative writing, does that mean that I could write just plays and a bit of poetry, and not have to do any stories or the like?

Well, obviously they give you guidance on what they want you to write because some people find it difficult to just write something off the top of their heads, but they're pretty flexible. My group are having a whole seminar just on scriptwriting next time so yes, you can write plays and poetry and whatever you want!

Carolinedoodle
On a kind of related note, some girl in my creative writing seminar wrote a sex story lol, I don't know whether to be shocked or impressed

She wrote a sex story?! Hahahaha, oh my god, I'm so amused. Is it good or cringeworthy? Dear lord, brave girl. Brave or really really weird, hahahaha.
I should probably not comment in case she ever comes on here lol :P
Spoil sport. :p:
Reply 49
Does anyone on here do mechanical engineering? if so is it any good?
Reply 50
Hey,
About Universe As An Art, I did it as a module, 1st year and tbh, it's a complete and utter doss. It's quite interesting but don't expect to get all of it, seminars are a bit of a chore since no one really knows nething and the physics ppl are a little weird but it's fine and basically, if you don't want a lot of hassel then take it. But you do have to do 2, 3000 word essays, 1 each term but the topics are really easy and you can blag, and a 3 hr exam in Summer which is half multiple choice (piece of piss) and three mini essay questions. Hope this helps.

JoKing.

p.s. Example of how easy it is, one of my seminar tasks was to write about my favourite planet!! LOL.
Reply 51
Hey to follow on from LubyLoo's example, im a fresher, studying Religious Studies (major), Sociology and Criminology (minors). Im in Grizedale College (woopwoop! - someone has to love it!). Originally from East London. Am absolutley loving lancaster, tis very different from London, but thats not perhaps such a bad thing! Good night life and loving having 9 bars on campus!

All those considering lancs ask away!

Beigel!
Reply 52
do people take laptops to lectures/seminars? or is it just easier and quicker to take notes by hand?
Reply 53
ems33
do people take laptops to lectures/seminars? or is it just easier and quicker to take notes by hand?

I have seen no one with a laptop in lectures, it is completely pointless and can be annoying for other students who have to hear the constant tapping of the keyboard. In some of my lectures I get given lecture notes, which I make notes on.
Reply 54
hiya! am comin 2 lanc in september to do history?is there anyone on here doin the V100 course now who can tell me a bit about it? how am i best goin about gettin in2 lonsdale? x
LubyLoo
I have seen no one with a laptop in lectures, it is completely pointless and can be annoying for other students who have to hear the constant tapping of the keyboard. In some of my lectures I get given lecture notes, which I make notes on.

have you ever seen anyone hold a minidisk player with microphone? One of the wys I was thinking of studying is to take mine (Its very discreet) and then put the lecture on my ipod to access at any time and to take notes from - do you think this is a good or bad idea? It wouldn't disturb anyone - and I owuld get the permission of the lecturer...
Reply 56
furzeplatt
have you ever seen anyone hold a minidisk player with microphone? One of the wys I was thinking of studying is to take mine (Its very discreet) and then put the lecture on my ipod to access at any time and to take notes from - do you think this is a good or bad idea? It wouldn't disturb anyone - and I owuld get the permission of the lecturer...

I just think that you (not you, in general!) have all these ideas about being motivated and then you find you actually aren't when you get here. Technically you would be making a lot more work for yourself as you would be attending lectures, and then listening to it all over again when you get home. If you didn't hear something, you can always ask the lecturer to repeat it. If you didn't understand something, make a note of it, and ask your seminar tutor.
LubyLoo
I just think that you (not you, in general!) have all these ideas about being motivated and then you find you actually aren't when you get here. Technically you would be making a lot more work for yourself as you would be attending lectures, and then listening to it all over again when you get home. If you didn't hear something, you can always ask the lecturer to repeat it. If you didn't understand something, make a note of it, and ask your seminar tutor.

fair do's, its just a thought - and as you say at the moment motvation but I know when I get there I will be lacking it lol! It wouldn't really be for listening over agan - more for revision if I need it - but as you say - its probs not going to happen - although if you see a music student with a minidisk player next year, I've proved you wrong lol!

As this is a question/answer section, I have a question...

what is in arms punch (I think thats the name - the music society's punch) apprently its famous!
Reply 58
No, you don't need to take a dictaphone into any lecture it all. Infact I'm sure lecturers dont actually wan't you to go away and recycle what they say.

The whole point of lectures is to give you the bones of your course and for you to go away and fill them in.

Taking notes or even sitting there taking it all in and then perhaps writing up your own lecture notes when you get back is more than adequate.
You are not allowed to record a lecture without the lecturers prior permission. Obviously if you have a disability then im sure they would say yes but otherwise, just take notes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending