The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Question and Answer Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hey,
Um I know this is random, but is there a Christian Union at Lancaster uni? Also if i did music at Lancaster how much of it is performance based?

Is the music good there, it looked quite good when i went, have i secretly been decieved..?Don't mean to sound cheeky but I have a choice between this and somewhere, well all my friends think i should go lol, but somehow Lancaster seemed better...

Do people in Lancaster go to Manchester for gigs? I feel like working for A levels has ruined going to gigs and i know uni isn't just about social life but i'm afraid of being a loner or wishing I'd gone to another uni...Lancaster is 5/6 hrs from home lol...We're all in the same boat and all that but...

Yeah sorry I've put a lot of questions on here...:frown: x
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
I'm at Lancaster, first year, but decided to live off campus for a variety of reasons.

Im doing the Biology 100 series, Environmental 100 series and then a Mixed bunch of ES and Bio for the third lots of modules.

Someone asked about taping lectures. If you are going to do this you have to ask the lecturer - don't go and do it the discrete way! I tape all of mine for the reason being that I then copy them onto CDs and have the playing in the car (I live a way out, and have to travel with my job, so this is a great option for me as I can't read and drive at the same time). You do need to ask permission first, and you don't have to have a disability to tape lectures. Be warned though, you will forever get slackasses who can't be bothered turning up for lectures asking you for the recordings... You will also get people who had a valid reason for not being at the lectures asking you for them.

If you do chose to record lectures, you still have to put in the effort. Lectures are the backbone, the basics, you still need to do the reading and come up with a suitable set of notes from other sources. In the exams you are examined on whether you have done the reading from other textbooks, as well as the basic lecture material (mostly tested in the end of module tests).

So get your pen to paper, get a good set of neat lecture notes written, use diagrams, flashcards, past papers, questions out of the text book and example answers to really make the most of it. Grab some of the second years as well, just don't leave it until they are starting the dissertations. Learn your practical material too.

Recorder lectures can be gone over before summer exams, if you have a spare 130 hours free :smile:

Main point about lectures is, that the lecturers are likely to be far more accomodating if they know you are putting in the effort. Ask questions if you don't understand something they are saying as most people won't know what they are on about either. Fellow students are likely to be far more helpful if they see you putting in the effort as well :biggrin:

IndieJames, we go to gigs in Manchester and Glasgow. Do you have a set of wheels? I think that's what makes the difference, however once I get my minibus liscence I will be able to take more people down splitting the cost. My boyfriend and I have lost too many friends to drink drivers so one of us will always be compltely dry, whilst the other one is getting smashed :biggrin:

Hope that has helped some of you out.
Shambles.
Reply 62
Indie James,

Yeah there is a CU at Lancaster. Its evangelical. The website is www.luecu.org.uk if you want to check it out. It quite big and meets all together on a tuesday night, and then all the seperate college groups meet on a thursday night.

Hope that helps, any other questions ask away.

Beigel
Reply 63
Indie James
Hey,

Is the music good there, it looked quite good when i went, have i secretly been decieved..?Don't mean to sound cheeky but I have a choice between this and somewhere, well all my friends think i should go lol, but somehow Lancaster seemed better...

Do people in Lancaster go to Manchester for gigs? I feel like working for A levels has ruined going to gigs and i know uni isn't just about social life but i'm afraid of being a loner or wishing I'd gone to another uni...Lancaster is 5/6 hrs from home lol...We're all in the same boat and all that but...

Yeah sorry I've put a lot of questions on here...:frown: x

Hey. Sorry can't answer your questions but i'm in the same boat! I loved the course at Lancaster but a few things are putting me off e.g. music scene, isolation of the area etc.

I'm not as far away as you (about 2/3 hrs) but it's far enough for me! lol.

I'm stuck as to whether to chose Lancaster or apply somewhere else (Manchester probs) through UCAS Extra. (dont want to go to any of my other choices, don't know why i chose them :rolleyes: )
Reply 64
hailz202
Hey. Sorry can't answer your questions but i'm in the same boat! I loved the course at Lancaster but a few things are putting me off e.g. music scene, isolation of the area etc.

I'm not as far away as you (about 2/3 hrs) but it's far enough for me! lol.

I'm stuck as to whether to chose Lancaster or apply somewhere else (Manchester probs) through UCAS Extra. (dont want to go to any of my other choices, don't know why i chose them :rolleyes: )

Lancaster isn't isolated. There are plenty of things to do on campus, and a short bus route will get you into town.
Reply 65
Ok well in my opinion it is very isolated compared to birmingham and the transport links seem to be pretty bad e.g.trains weren't even working when i needed to come to lancaster for the open day on a saturday and i was told it's quite frequent that this happens.
Everything is going to seem isolated compared to Birmingham, it's smack dab in the middle of the country!

The trains aren't very good on Saturdays and Sundays on most rail services, but especially on the Lancaster service at the moment because of construction works or something. The transport links are anything but bad, the buses into town come every ten minutes, in some cases, and certain services even go around south west campus as well. I've never had a problem getting anywhere. You're from Bham? There's a direct train twice a day from Lancaster to and from New Street, if you want to go home. I know because that's the train I get. :p: People from my flat regularly go shopping in Manchester to spend all that money the government has given them, haha, and it's seriously never a problem to get into town. There are more bus services than you can shake a stick at that go to the uni, Lancaster is a city, you have to remember. It may be a small city but there is still everything you need.

Anyway, I'll stop my rambling now.
Reply 67
Ok thanks. That has helped. I know everything will seem isolated compared to b;ham so i suppose i'll just have to get used to it!
Hey again,
Thanku for all the help, it's really helpfull:smile: lol u deserve gold stars tehe!
Indie x
Reply 69
LubyLoo
Okay seeming as Lancaster have let prospective students know of this site, we may as well make good use of it.

So any questions you want to ask, go ahead, and me and whoever other current student is online will try and ask them as best as we can.

To help matters, I study Sociology, Criminology and Education Studies and am in Lonsdale College.

So ask away. :smile:

Hey,

Hopefully in sept, if i meet the conditions am going to be studying criminology and sociology at Lancaster. (fingers crossed) how did you/do you find the first year for both these subjects???

Im a bit worried that i might have taken too much on?? having said that its only like 6 hours a week or summet.

Do u rate Lonsdale? i was thinking of either Lonsdale or furness, what is the accommodation like?

Is the uni as isolated as it looks? (last question she says...) Does the nightlife live up to its reputation?

thanx so much 4 ur help.:smile:
StaceYY
Is the uni as isolated as it looks?

I refer you to just up the page where myself and a few others explained at length how not isolated the university really is. It's a campus, not a prison. :rolleyes:
Reply 71
StaceYY
Hey,

Hopefully in sept, if i meet the conditions am going to be studying criminology and sociology at Lancaster. (fingers crossed) how did you/do you find the first year for both these subjects???

Im a bit worried that i might have taken too much on?? having said that its only like 6 hours a week or summet.

Do u rate Lonsdale? i was thinking of either Lonsdale or furness, what is the accommodation like?

Is the uni as isolated as it looks? (last question she says...) Does the nightlife live up to its reputation?

thanx so much 4 ur help.:smile:

Hey.

Firstly congrats on your offer. :smile:

Sociology is split into different topics. This year we have studied:

- An introduction (which confused me no end).
- Globalisation (which linked in issues such as inter-personal violence).
- City Lives (how people become isolated in a city etc).
- Techno Lives (I'm just studying this topic, but an example is how technology changes our personalities, and how we can create a different personality online).

If you have studied it at A Level, as I did, it is more than likely to confuse you in some parts, as it is directed at people who haven't studied it.

Some parts of it are quite interesting though.

Criminology is basically what you would expect, and is quite like the Crime and Deviance topic in Sociology. We have looked at the history of crime, theories, and different contemporary issues like mental health and binge drinking.

You will have to take another subject in your first year anyway, so don't worry you haven't taken too much on!

Lonsdale is on Alexandra Park, which is situated away from the main campus, which in my opinion is nicer. Accommodation is a year old now, but is really nice. I have posted a pic of it somewhere. Is an okay college, but I despise the music in the bar, and it isn't really a place where you can sit and chill.

Furness' bar is a lot better, but not as modern. More like a cosy pub. They have just completed a brand new ensuite accommodation block. They tend to stage 15 hour bar crawls lol. It is on Alexandra Square, so central campus.

The nightlife is ace, but if you're from a big city you might not enjoy it as much.

Hope this helps x
Reply 72
LubyLoo
They have just completed a brand new ensuite accommodation block.

Doesn't look too finished at the moment! :p: I'm sure it will, one day...

As for the isolated thing, I doubt you'll even notice when you're here. I remember in week 3 I looked at a map to see where Lancaster was in the country ( I had no clue! ) and I was like "WOW WE'RE NEAR THE SEA", came as a big shock to me :p: It's pretty easy to get around the country even if the train lines are down. I caught the train to Oxford the other week and it was easy enough, I even got to see my parents for a whopping 12 minutes whilst transfering trains in Birmingham New Street, hadn't seen them since Christmas!
Reply 73
The nightlife is great, and it really helps that the city is pretty much designed around students. Everywhere in Lancaster has student night, no-where is too expensive for drinks (with the exception of Lounge which is the most expensive), and the Carleton in morecambe is cheap and ace (although don't go there when you're sober - it's rubbish)
Reply 74
Bowland
the Carleton in morecambe is cheap and ace (although don't go there when you're sober - it's rubbish)

It is the best night ever. :smile:
The new accomodation is going to be delayed, unless they find a quick fit to quite a major problem- no social space has been drawn into the plans :frown:
LubyLoo
It is the best night ever. :smile:

If you're drunk. Never go sober - it's a very expensive taxi ride back to campus! (Β£16!)

So the moral of the story is - go to the Carleton, enjoy the 'unique' experience, drink plenty and get the free bus back!
Reply 77
somedayshambles
The new accomodation is going to be delayed, unless they find a quick fit to quite a major problem- no social space has been drawn into the plans :frown:

Lol.

If social space had been a requirement when the project went out to tender then that's some mightily impressive planning :rolleyes:

They'll perhaps solve the problem by removing the stairwells...
They'll perhaps solve the problem by removing the stairwells...

Don't give them any ideas :biggrin:
What is the main difference between BSc and BBA?:confused:

I just got an offer for Business Studies N102 , and now I'm wondering if I should have picked BBA.

- there was something said about work experience on the website..I don't really have any. So I picked a wrong course, eh?:eek:

Quick Reply

Latest