Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Question and Answer Thread

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elvencia)
    Another question - Do many people take cars with them, or is it not allowed?
    To be honest, with the difficulty of getting a parking permit on campus, and the fact that the bus system is so good from the university, I dont see the point. Seriously, you never have to wait more than five minutes for a bus into town, and usually one is always just about to go.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No point in bringing a car at all
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No need for a car. The only reason that i can see for it is convenience/laziness.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannyOwens)
    No need for a car. The only reason that i can see for it is convenience/laziness.
    I dunno, that sounds like a damn good reason . . .
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'd have only really used it to get home at the end of term (and just because I resent paying the insurance and getting no use out of it), but I guess the odd train journey won't kill me :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowercaseluke)
    When does the current term finish for English Lit students? I guess I should go to more seminars :P
    Errrrm, I think you've missed it. Teaching is over for this year.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was just looking at the term dates. Why do terms start on Friday? Is this when you're expected to come back, rather than when classes start?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celifein)
    I was just looking at the term dates. Why do terms start on Friday? Is this when you're expected to come back, rather than when classes start?
    It's a complete mystery why terms start on Fridays, except that it means you can return on the Friday and get into your room I suppose.
    Teaching doesn't start til the following Monday. Most people come back on the Saturday or Sunday after term starts.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizj)
    It's a complete mystery why terms start on Fridays, except that it means you can return on the Friday and get into your room I suppose.
    Teaching doesn't start til the following Monday. Most people come back on the Saturday or Sunday after term starts.
    Thanks.

I was trying to work out what weeks I'd be able to work full-time. Thought I'd made an arse of the calendar when I saw all the terms starting on Fridays, but, no, it's just Lancaster being peculiar.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The reason that term starts on a fri is when all the accommodation used to be 30 week lets (or sumat like that) and the friday was the day people could collect their keys.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a random question but was just wondering what colleges are like with you receiving parcels/packets on a regular basis, would they get annoyed with you?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hey i was wondering what the tv reception is like in peoples room? will freeview be available? wb x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samborona)
    Bit of a random question but was just wondering what colleges are like with you receiving parcels/packets on a regular basis, would they get annoyed with you?
    No, they don't get annoyed. If they do, who cares, that's their job! Parcels are delivered to your porter's lodge every day. They sign for them if they are recorded delivery. Then they put up a list to say who has parcels to collect. And you have to prove your ID to get it from them.
    Sometimes it can be a bit difficult to catch them in the lodge. I once had to wait 4 days to collect a package.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolybear)
    hey i was wondering what the tv reception is like in peoples room? will freeview be available? wb x
    Depends where you are - reception varies across campus. I'm in SW and get all the terrestrial channels, but Channel 4 is poor. Flatmates with Freeview boxes don't seem to have too much diffculty.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you make really good friends with the porter they might even ring you when your packages come in
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zooeyj)
    If you make really good friends with the porter they might even ring you when your packages come in
    Wow! Really? I should try that... I didn't know making friends wiht the porters could have that much in the way of benefits... I'm impressed that they know my name though!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Fylde, and we have an inbuilt ariel so we get great reception.. I have a freeview box and I can get all the channels

Think Furness new buildings have the same.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The reason that term starts on a fri is when all the accommodation used to be 30 week lets (or sumat like that) and the friday was the day people could collect their keys.
    Thanks. It's nice to know they have an actual reason.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was on SW in first year and had to get a cable thing from argos to get all the channels properly that plugged into the wall but it was only 2 quid or something!

Im in a house in town now (for second year) and the reception is pretty bad, but thats probably cos our landlady wont fix the aerial

Thank god for BBC Iplayer!! lol!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, are there any plans to expand the gym? I was shocked at how small it was when I visited, seems a touch too pricy for the membership.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 24, 2014
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.