The Student Room Group

Southampton Medical School 2012 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thegodofgod
Hey, is the 25% percentile thing of everyone who sits the UKCAT in the country, or is it just that they rank everyone applying to BM5 by their overall UKCAT score, and then remove the bottom 25% of candidates that way?

Cheers :smile:

From what I have read somewhere it was 25% of the applicants, not of the country.
Original post by thegodofgod
Hey, is the 25% percentile thing of everyone who sits the UKCAT in the country, or is it just that they rank everyone applying to BM5 by their overall UKCAT score, and then remove the bottom 25% of candidates that way?

Cheers :smile:

I believe they rank everyone in BM5 and rank them. Then the University will proceed to remove the bottom 25% percentile that way. Hope it helped!

-doctork2
Original post by areyousure?
From what I have read somewhere it was 25% of the applicants, not of the country.

Original post by doctork2
I believe they rank everyone in BM5 and rank them. Then the University will proceed to remove the bottom 25% percentile that way. Hope it helped!

-doctork2

Cheers guys :smile:
Reply 203
with my score of 610, would I be in the bottom 25%?? Im worried now :frown:
Original post by .eXe

It really depends... I would honestly say 610 would be probably in the bottom 30%, but don't really know about 25%.. Keep your fingers crossed.
Reply 205
Original post by .eXe

Ive heard its normally (and was last year) a late 500s cut off, so you should be fine :smile: Just depends how much the average marks went up/down this year x
Reply 206
does anyone know anyone who got into southampton last year? alot of people are saying its really hard to get into, kinda worried :s-smilie:
Reply 207
Original post by t_star
does anyone know anyone who got into southampton last year? alot of people are saying its really hard to get into, kinda worried :s-smilie:

Yeh I've heard it's really competitive too because they don't interview :frown:
Reply 208
Original post by Erotas
Yeh I've heard it's really competitive too because they don't interview :frown:

On that note, I posted something like this-

"Struggling to understand HOW exactly Soton select the 40 candidates for BM4. I know PS is HUGELY improtant, but as they only reject the lowest 25% of UKCAT scoring candidates, what else is involved??

Does anyone know how far Southampton look back academically etc? Ive been hearing stories from grad candidates applying to other unis that depsite not looking at A levels with a good predicted degree, they go back and check your GCSEs."

But got no response. Anyone shed light on it??? x
Reply 209
Selection policy here

http://www.som.soton.ac.uk/search/searching.asp?q=selection+procedure&submit=&s=Faculty+of+Medicine&Action=Go

Basically you need to have a brain. But I think as long as you get a good degree, GCSE doesn't matter too much. Southampton seem quite keen on the non-academic side of things so personal statemnt/reference are most important.

Also - the policy says UKCAT is 25% of the national results, not the Soton applicant results which is interesting. Presumably means it will be a bit lower.
Reply 210
Original post by Cattree
Selection policy here

http://www.som.soton.ac.uk/search/searching.asp?q=selection+procedure&submit=&s=Faculty+of+Medicine&Action=Go

Basically you need to have a brain. But I think as long as you get a good degree, GCSE doesn't matter too much. Southampton seem quite keen on the non-academic side of things so personal statemnt/reference are most important.

Also - the policy says UKCAT is 25% of the national results, not the Soton applicant results which is interesting. Presumably means it will be a bit lower.

Thank you!! Ps. we also have Warwick in common, Cattree :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Cattree
Selection policy here

Had not seen that before! Thank you for that :smile:

Glad it is 25% of national results then :biggrin:
Reply 212
yep - 25% of national is much better. I think some do it based on the applicant score - but I can't see how that doesn't end badly. They advertise that it's 25% of applicants, so if you've got even a slightly iffy score, say below 700, you don't bother applying, so all applicants applying have 700-900, which means they only look at applicants with 850+, which seems ridiculous. (I know my maths is completely wrong!) . It just seems that saying you're going to take the top few applicants artifically pushes the cut off higher and higher? Or maybe you always get the same number of people with low (comparatively) scores, *hoping* to make the cut off, which keeps the average down?

Maybe I think too much..
Reply 213
Original post by Cattree
yep - 25% of national is much better. I think some do it based on the applicant score - but I can't see how that doesn't end badly. They advertise that it's 25% of applicants, so if you've got even a slightly iffy score, say below 700, you don't bother applying, so all applicants applying have 700-900, which means they only look at applicants with 850+, which seems ridiculous. (I know my maths is completely wrong!) . It just seems that saying you're going to take the top few applicants artifically pushes the cut off higher and higher? Or maybe you always get the same number of people with low (comparatively) scores, *hoping* to make the cut off, which keeps the average down?

Maybe I think too much..

Got an offer last year with 712.5
Reply 214
Is it normal that I still don't have my postcard? :s-smilie:
Reply 215
Original post by Erotas
Is it normal that I still don't have my postcard? :s-smilie:

I dunno if its normal but im still waiting for mine too??
Do southampton give out acknowledgements?
I don't have a postcard either... but then I don't even have my UCAS Welcome Pack yet!

Original post by Notsocleverstudent
Do southampton give out acknowledgements?

You should get a postcard.
Reply 218
Anyone still not received the postcard? I haven't :frown:
Reply 219
Original post by Erotas
Anyone still not received the postcard? I haven't :frown:

Me too ... Thinking of calling on Monday to make sure they've got my application. When did you send yours?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending