The Student Room Group

Southampton Medical School 2012 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thegodofgod
Wouldn't the language become a barrier once you get to your clinical years?

I mean it's pretty difficult to learn (presumably) a brand-new language in two/three years, let alone learning one along-side medicine... :redface:

Just my two cents though :colondollar:

i got 2 options. overseas medicine, pharmacy at cardiff. (noway doing a gap year)
Original post by levantine
i got 2 options. overseas medicine, pharmacy at cardiff. (noway doing a gap year)

Why certain that you don't want a gap year? You could really work on your PS / get more work experience / volunteering done / get a job, so you can get some money saved up for university / go travelling / just chill out at home etc.

What are your grades / extra-curriculars like at the moment, and what are you predicted / think you will get at the end of the year?

To pharmacy at Cardiff: do you really want to be doing Pharmacy for 4 odd years (which you may not even like), and then do medicine for another 4 years (assuming you get onto a GEM course), or 5 years (presuming you wouldn't intercalate), which would kill you financially :s-smilie:
Original post by levantine
Yeah Southampton is my last hope now.

What do people think of doing medicine at charles uni in prague?

I know some people studying medicine in Romania/Malta and none of them regret it. Toughest thing for them was getting the financial support, but apart from that the course is taught in English (apparently there are some prickish lecturers who refuse to teach in English in Romania due to not being paid enough) but they've learnt to get around it. I'd recommend Malta though.

I think ultimately it stems down to how badly you want it - if I didn't have my Leicester offer I would have definitely gone abroad. For me it's a question of either sticking it out and becoming a doctor or doing a degree I'm not remotely interested in, trying again for GEP and facing the harsh truth of being older and more restless as GEP is significantly more competitive than the undergrad route.

I'm sure everyone will agree though - this medicine admission process really knows how to take it out of you.
Original post by fallenangel
I know some people studying medicine in Romania/Malta and none of them regret it. Toughest thing for them was getting the financial support, but apart from that the course is taught in English (apparently there are some prickish lecturers who refuse to teach in English in Romania due to not being paid enough) but they've learnt to get around it. I'd recommend Malta though.

I think ultimately it stems down to how badly you want it - if I didn't have my Leicester offer I would have definitely gone abroad. For me it's a question of either sticking it out and becoming a doctor or doing a degree I'm not remotely interested in, trying again for GEP and facing the harsh truth of being older and more restless as GEP is significantly more competitive than the undergrad route.

I'm sure everyone will agree though - this medicine admission process really knows how to take it out of you.

Just out of curiosity, do you know how one would get a loan/financial help when they decide to study abroad? I'm assuming that you cannot just take a loan like you would do when studying at a UK university.
Reply 1924
I don't think there's anyone (on TSR anyway) who's got an offer from Southampton and is going to reject it for another university :redface:

I did last year but only because I felt that the way the course was taught at Peninsula i.e. PBL suited me so much more. Also
I had two older brothers at Soton already and wanted to do something different to them:smile: oh, and also too close to home!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by snoz64
I did last year but only because I felt that the way the course was taught at Peninsula i.e. PBL suited me so much more. Also
I had two older brothers at Soton already and wanted to do something different to them:smile: oh, and also too close to home!

Fair enough - good reasons :tongue:

I was gonna counter your argument by saying that you live in Plymouth, but then realised that you probably live there in term time :colondollar:
Reply 1926
Fair enough - good reasons :tongue:

I was gonna counter your argument by saying that you live in Plymouth, but then realised that you probably live there in term time :colondollar:

Ermm yes! Home is 10 miles west of Southampton in the New Forest so if anyone wants to know about Soton and area happy to help:smile: and as for the uni my big bro is a post doc( chemical engineering) there and can always ask him if there's something I don't know.
Original post by snoz64
Ermm yes! Home is 10 miles west of Southampton in the New Forest so if anyone wants to know about Soton and area happy to help:smile: and as for the uni my big bro is a post doc( chemical engineering) there and can always ask him if there's something I don't know.

Yeah - that's why I didn't apply to any of the London universities (or at least that's what I tell people when they ask :colone: - I wouldn't even be able to get an interview anywhere :tongue:)

Wow - a family of academics then :tongue:
I don't think there's anyone (on TSR anyway) who's got an offer from Southampton and is going to reject it for another university :redface:

Everyone seems to love Southampton when they go there :love: (be it an open day or a post-offer open day :colone:)

Although i do LOVE soton, it depends on how my other interviews go! :smile:
Original post by <XOXO>
Although i do LOVE soton, it depends on how my other interviews go! :smile:

Gratz and best of luck for all of your interviews! :party:

Hope you get your top choice :biggrin:
Gratz and best of luck for all of your interviews! :party:

Hope you get your top choice :biggrin:

Awww, thank you! So i'm guessing SOTON is your first choice? :cool:
The occupational health form is such a hassle - so many forms :frown: when are the post offer days by the way?
hey guys :smile: anyone else waiting to hear anything at all from soton? :/ and whats all this about interviews? I thought soton doesnt do them :s-smilie: Oh confusion...
Original post by <XOXO>
Awww, thank you! So i'm guessing SOTON is your first choice? :cool:

Yup, I changed last minute on Track from BSMS to Soton :tongue:, and it's been my top choice ever since :love:
Original post by karkarpops
hey guys :smile: anyone else waiting to hear anything at all from soton? :/ and whats all this about interviews? I thought soton doesnt do them :s-smilie: Oh confusion...

Interviews for international applicants, or those home applicants, who the admissions team just want to know a bit more about :smile:

I haven't heard anything from soton :frown:
Reply 1935

Yes there are still lots of us waiting. Southampton interview internationals, matures and BM6 applicants. They may also interview some BM5 applicants if they wish to have some things on the ucas form clarified.
Original post by Scarface-Don
Just out of curiosity, do you know how one would get a loan/financial help when they decide to study abroad? I'm assuming that you cannot just take a loan like you would do when studying at a UK university.

I know my brother's thinking of going to uni in Germany, and there are practically no fees but for the things you DO have to buy (like accomodation and books), there are no loans. He asked about this, and they told him that he would only be accepted if he had proof of how he was going to afford to pay, and loans from other places (eg banks) werent allowed :s-smilie:
Original post by myyrh
Yes there are still lots of us waiting. Southampton interview internationals, matures and BM6 applicants. They may also interview some BM5 applicants if they wish to have some things on the ucas form clarified.

oh i see, thanks for clarifying :smile: bleh, i hate all this waiting, when did they give their offers out last year? :/ also, im an irish applicant, would you say i'll be interviewed? thats if, im lucky enough to get picked :s-smilie:

oh i see, thanks for clarifying :smile: bleh, i hate all this waiting, when did they give their offers out last year? :/ also, im an irish applicant, would you say i'll be interviewed? thats if, im lucky enough to get picked :s-smilie:

Probably not, as you're considered to be an EU applicant (if I'm right :tongue:)
Reply 1939

Offers and rejections have been trickling out for a while now. This continues right up in to March :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending