The Student Room Group

want to study parapsychology in london, which university does this degree

Hello,

I would like to post a question here. I would like to study parapsychology as a degree but cannot find a university in london would anyone be able to help and to suggest. if there arent any in london are there any in england and broader uk?

Thank you for any advise in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by erika83
Hello,

I would like to post a question here. I would like to study parapsychology as a degree but cannot find a university in london would anyone be able to help and to suggest. if there arent any in london are there any in england and broader uk?

Thank you for any advise in advance.

It's probably something that's only available as a post-grad qualification, it's pretty specific for an undergrad degree.
Reply 2
What is parapsychology?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by damidude
What is papapsychology?

According to Wikipedia

"Parapsychologists study a number of ostensible paranormal phenomena, including telepathy, precognition, clairvoyance, psychokinesis, near-death experiences, reincarnation and apparitional experiences"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parapsychology
Reply 4
Original post by secret_smile
According to Wikipedia

"Parapsychologists study a number of ostensible paranormal phenomena, including telepathy, precognition, clairvoyance, psychokinesis, near-death experiences, reincarnation and apparitional experiences"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parapsychology

Facepalm for spelling mistake.

I was actually thinking doing psychology postgraduate. Im sure parapsychology would be a part of this.
i think you'd be very hard-pressed to find somewhere reputable that would offer a parapsychology degree, not only is it quite a specific branch of psychology but it's not very well respected by psychologists... I'd probably say a degree in psychology with your research based around parapsychology would be a much better route to go down if you're really interested in it.
Reply 6
I would like to study parapsychology and i would love to work in Near death experience field.

Im sure there are degrees i just dont know which universities. Also, is it hard to study online?
Original post by erika83
I would like to study parapsychology and i would love to work in Near death experience field.

Im sure there are degrees i just dont know which universities. Also, is it hard to study online?

You might find this helpful.

He says that universities do not offer parapsychology as a degree, but as a module in a psychology degree.

http://www.ianbaker.org/news/undergraduate-study/
Reply 8
Everything you need to know about reading Parapsychology at university can be learned from watching the first ten minutes of Ghostbusters.
Original post by erika83

If you want to become a researcher in parapsychology you would (probably) have to go down the university lecturing/researching route, which requires a PhD and sometimes also a masters.

Not many scientists can make a living purely from research and not also teaching aswell...

As everyone has said, including the professor from the link someone gave, its pointless not doing a psychology degree first, since parapsychology draws so much from psychological literature. You can do modules of it at university though... and your experiment which you do in your last year can be on any topic you like!

You don't think near death experiences are real by any chance?
Reply 10
i think they are real but i think parapsychology has disappeared as a degree because the lecturers dont believe they are real hahe.
Reply 11
Psychologists are skeptics by nature, it's part of the discipline.
Original post by erika83
i think they are real but i think parapsychology has disappeared as a degree because the lecturers dont believe they are real hahe.

Oh. Most parapsychologists probably don't think they are real either FYI... being a dualist and a psychologist rarely mixes :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
well ive just been to a spiritualist church where a medium gave readings to people and he got every single information right with specific details. so im sorry if they dont believe. messages from the dead are real, life after death is real and i finally received my proof. phew.
Reply 14
Original post by erika83
well ive just been to a spiritualist church where a medium gave readings to people and he got every single information right with specific details. so im sorry if they dont believe. messages from the dead are real, life after death is real and i finally received my proof. phew.

Well then, tell him he could win a million dollars. Seriously.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by erika83

Seriously? I don't want to sound like a dick and just laugh, have you heard of cold reading?

Its probably not real... I don't think parapsychology is for you because most psychologists come from a really skeptical point of view...
Reply 16
its not exackly about the money!!
Reply 17
Original post by erika83

Why not? You could do a lot of good with $1,000,000! Plus it would shut up all us rational skeptical people. :smile:
Please.

Do a serious degree.

I would be profoundly disgusted if taxpayer's money went to funding such ridiculous courses.
Original post by erika83

Richard Wiseman is a parapsychologist who is vocal about how these people trick you into thinking spirits are talking to them. I actually saw him live on the uncaged monkeys tour! I don't know any parapsychologists who actually belief they are real... but tbh i've only seen two parapsychologists :P

Try one of his books :smile:
http://richardwiseman.wordpress.com/
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest