The Student Room Group

Aberdeen or Glasgow?

Hey!

I’m studying law at a German University and want to spend a semester abroad in Scotland in my third year. As Edinburgh only takes EU students for a whole year I have narrowed down my choices to the University of Glasgow and the University of Aberdeen. It would be great if some of you could give me your opinions on which one is better in terms of

- reputation for law and overall. I don't know if the University of a semester abroad plays an important role in the application process but: Would any of them improve or diminish my prospects of getting accepted by a reputable uni for postgrad studies such as UCL, King’s College or Oxbridge?

- student life including nightlife, accommodation and living costs

- the city itself (architecture). I have only seen Aberdeen on pictures and been to Glasgow for only a few hours so far. However, I think I like Aberdeen more and it is right beside the sea. But on the other hand, the university building of Glasgow is quite impressive, almost like a castle and Aberdeen seems to be a bit far away from everything...

Also I’d like to know what kind of people are more likely to attend those universities (e.g. privately educated students). It’s not that I have prejudices it just would be helpful to know to gain an overall impression.

Thanks a lot!
Glasgow.

The Uni is more respected, the city and nightlife are much better, it's much easier to get to other places (Edinburgh, England) from.
Reply 2
Original post by LittleCheetah
Hey!

I’m studying law at a German University and want to spend a semester abroad in Scotland in my third year. As Edinburgh only takes EU students for a whole year I have narrowed down my choices to the University of Glasgow and the University of Aberdeen. It would be great if some of you could give me your opinions on which one is better in terms of

- reputation for law and overall. I don't know if the University of a semester abroad plays an important role in the application process but: Would any of them improve or diminish my prospects of getting accepted by a reputable uni for postgrad studies such as UCL, King’s College or Oxbridge?

- student life including nightlife, accommodation and living costs

- the city itself (architecture). I have only seen Aberdeen on pictures and been to Glasgow for only a few hours so far. However, I think I like Aberdeen more and it is right beside the sea. But on the other hand, the university building of Glasgow is quite impressive, almost like a castle and Aberdeen seems to be a bit far away from everything...

Also I’d like to know what kind of people are more likely to attend those universities (e.g. privately educated students). It’s not that I have prejudices it just would be helpful to know to gain an overall impression.

Thanks a lot!

glasgow is probably better... really lively city and a lot going on and you can also explore other places in scotland like edinburgh or even go down south. aberdeen is a long way from everywhere really.

aberdeen is actually a good night out but glasgow is better imo. infact, going on what you have said, glasgow probably wins all of them.

as for the people attending the unis... probably about the same to be honest.
Reply 3
Glasgow Glasgow Glasgow without a doubt.

I did Law at Aberdeen for a year and wound up dropping out and going to Strathcylde.

Aberdeen University itself is pretty good, but the city is more expensive generally to get about. Also in Aberdeen you've really only got Union Street and Belmont street for shopping/nightlife (in fairness its nightlife is really good , its shopping is pretty boring though) . Whereas in Glasgow you've got all of the city centre for this and the West End.

Aberdeen's student village is out in the middle of no where , whereas all the Universties in Glasgow are either slap-bang in the centre of town or in the Westend , near lots of bars restaurants ect.

In all honestly I would really advise you to go to Glasgow, as a city its miles ahead of Aberdeen in terms of student life.
Reply 4
Glasgow. Studied there for three years, lived there for nine, and I have a friend who moved to Aberdeen after h graduated so I know what it's like. Aberdeen has a terrible nightlife, costs a bomb, has little to do otherwise and is horribly isolated from the rest of Scotland.

Glasgow has the best nightlife and live music scene outside of London IMO, phenomenal architecture (from the city centre gridiron to the West End tenements to the museums and galleries), and is an hour and a half by train from Dundee, Edinburgh and Carlisle.

And the law school at Glasgow Uni is very well regarded.

I literally cannot think of a reason to study in Aberdeen instead of Glasgow.
Reply 5
GLASGOW!

I completed my undergrad there and am now beginning my Masters with the History of Art dept. Afraid I can't say much about the law dept but the University has recently been awarded joint top status in Scotland in the National Student Survey (not sure what the joint rated Uni was though). I loved my time there both within the Academia side of things, as well as the many fantastic resuarants, bars and shops both right next to campus and in the city centre. It's been awarded 59th place in the QS world rankings too.

Aberdeen is shockingly expensive for a night out in comparison to Glasgow, and there aren't as many decent clubs/pubs to choose from.

The sea is easily accessible from Glasgow - towns such as Troon and Largs (south west) and Helensburgh (north west) offer a typical British seaside resort feel whereas Dunoon and Oban for example offer beautiful Highland views as well as sea. (I have a German sister in law and I know how important being near the sea is for her!) Whereas Balloch (50 min train direct from Queen St station) offers gorgeous views of Loch Lomond and is the gateway to the Highlands.

No idea about the percentage of privately educated students, but I do know that it is a highly regarded university in Scotland. Two of my closest friends were privately educated but I was not. Hope this helps your decision! Good luck.

p.s Glasgow is a beautiful city in terms of architecture - buildings by famous Glasgow architects such as Charles Rennie Mackintosh and Alexander 'greek' Thomson still stand, with the Glasgow school of art probably being the most famous. My partner's father (an architect) regularly 'holidays' in Glasgow to go on architectural tours of the city. The Cathedral next to the Royal Infirmary is fantastic, as is the adjacent Necropolis. There are too many Galleries and museums to name but my two favourites in terms of collections, architecture and surrounding environment are the Kelvingrove and the Burrell Collection. There are many more sights to be seen and I could clearly go on and on...Glasgow also enjoyed status as a UNESCO city of culture.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest