The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Laptops

Does anybody know where I can get a cheap yet decent laptop which will work at nottingham?

Supposedly some don't work there and I don't want to fork out the money for one only to find it won't work.

Thanks
Reply 1
Do you mean there are internet issues with the Nottingham uni network?

I'm pretty sure a laptop would "work" on the moon, let alone Nottingham.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
All i know is that you can check it will be compatible at the university by following a link online, and i don't fancy committing to buying one incase it fails this scan
Original post by baldock92
All i know is that you can check it will be compatible at the university by following a link online, and i don't fancy committing to buying one incase it fails this scan

I'm pretty sure that scan is more to do with what software you have on the laptop, such as a firewall.
Reply 4
Oh ok.

I'm not very good with technology as you might be able to tell :P Cheers for the help

The PASS test checks that you have the latest OS patches, a virus scanner, and a firewall. I don't think that it checks the hardware at all, but as long as you don't buy one from 1995 you should be fine.

Original post by Aack
Do you mean there are internet issues with the Nottingham uni network?

I'm pretty sure a laptop would "work" on the moon, let alone Nottingham.

Well, would work on the moon until you ran out of battery, don't think you have any electrical hook-ups up there :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by rmhumphries
The PASS test checks that you have the latest OS patches, a virus scanner, and a firewall. I don't think that it checks the hardware at all, but as long as you don't buy one from 1995 you should be fine.

Well, would work on the moon until you ran out of battery, don't think you have any electrical hook-ups up there :tongue:

I'm sure someone will invent a solar powered laptop by the time the OP reaches the moon. :tongue:
Reply 7
Does anybody know where I can get a cheap yet decent laptop which will work at nottingham?

Supposedly some don't work there and I don't want to fork out the money for one only to find it won't work.

Thanks

Anyway - I wouldn't worry about the laptop not working - all modern laptops will have wi-fi enabled and if it still doesn't work when you get there, there should be a tech department at the uni who can help you get it working.

We had this at our uni because loads of people had problems connecting to the campus network - but I never met anyone whose laptop didn't work on the campus network after the first month or so. Be prepared for queues if you need help though!

And you might want to buy an ethernet cable - they're only a couple of quid depending on length, and you shouldn't have any problems at all if you plug it in to the wired network.
Reply 8
Original post by aml92
contact me via PM, ill help you outt

Why can't you help the OP within the thread?

Are you a peado?

Or are you trying to flog some dodgy laptops?
Original post by Aack

Are you a peado?

I'll wager you five english punds that the OP is over the age of 16, and thus your friend is barking up the wrong tree.
You do get an ethernet cable provided with the room :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Ian80

Original post by Ian80

I'm bringing a 10m ethernet cable so I can surf whilst I poop.
Reply 12

Thanks

What do you call "cheap" OP? A laptop that's cheap to one person is expensive to another. How much exactly do you have to spend on it? Keep in mind that you'll be keeping this for 3/4 years and so, to me, £1,200 over 4 years @ £300/year isn't bad.
Original post by Ian80

This is only a "maybe" this year, the cables will no longer be provided by the Halls. If the previous occupant didn't leave with the cable then there might still be one there.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/is/connect/sns/preparingtousesns.aspx
Reply 14
Original post by insidevoice
This is only a "maybe" this year, the cables will no longer be provided by the Halls. If the previous occupant didn't leave with the cable then there might still be one there.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/is/connect/sns/preparingtousesns.aspx

They sell them in the SU shop, so in the worst case, you can just get one from there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending