The Student Room Group

Should I drop Psychology after three days?

Poll

Should I drop Psychology

Infact I've not even done a lesson :l

My subjects are:

English Lit

History

Sociology

Psychology

I've had two comments today, one being that all my subjects are essay and I'm going to have so much writing and our History teacher said 'Wait till you have a psychology exam, there's loads to revise for'

I'm now questioning wether I'll cope or not, and wether or not to drop Psychology and use the frees to revise or something :/

Scroll to see replies

Most other people manage to cope with 4 AS Levels. Psychology is a lot to remember but if you manage your time well during the year you should be absolutely fine.
Swap it for a Science based subject
Wait until you've had a few lessons of it. My subjects were all essay-based (English Lit, Classics, French, Psychology) and I was fine. You'll have to see how you cope with them though but don't drop it until you've tried it.
Reply 4
So you're thinking to drop a subject because you don't want to do so much writing?

Jesus Christ. All of those subjects are essay based, you know that right?
Reply 5
I found AS was easy there wasn't that much, it's A2 that blows you away but you can chose to drop it then!
Reply 6
Original post by viksta1000
Swap it for a Science based subject

Can't because of my GCSEs.

Original post by fnm
So you're thinking to drop a subject because you don't want to do so much writing?

Jesus Christ. All of those subjects are essay based, you know that right?

Yes I know.. and I'm thinking that because Psychology is so much to learn it might lower my other grades.
Reply 7
I did Psychology, English Language and Communication and Culture. All essay related and did just fine with the work load. It depends what exam board for Psychology. I do OCR and it wasn't that much to learn.
I very nearly dropped both English literature and English language because I found them horrendously boring.

I never did find them interesting, though I'm glad I hung onto them, grade-wise...

You really ought to give it more of a chance, espcially if you haven't had a lesson yet.

I took four essay subjects too and never had a problem with the work or the revision.

Grades and subjects in sig.
Original post by Bella Occhi
Wait until you've had a few lessons of it. My subjects were all essay-based (English Lit, Classics, French, Psychology) and I was fine. You'll have to see how you cope with them though but don't drop it until you've tried it.

I agree. Wait a couple of weeks, and see what the lessons are like and see if you like it. Then if you decide you dont like it then swap it for something else.
And dont be put off by what other people say, everyone has different opinions on things.
you've done the same as me other than i did biology rather than history
A level psychology is a lot to remember and a lot of essay writing but to be honest all A levels are hard
also, most people cope doing 4 AS levels and it's much more favourable than 3 when applying to university
Reply 11
Original post by Aijin
I did Psychology, English Language and Communication and Culture. All essay related and did just fine with the work load. It depends what exam board for Psychology. I do OCR and it wasn't that much to learn.

I disagree

A/s OCR Psychology is mostly fact based and there are quite a lot of things to remember, but it is much easier to chunk these items together...

A2 Psychology there is so much to know it's ridiculous... in my opinion.
Reply 12
I find it funny that your History teacher was practically slagging off another subject :biggrin:

To be honest I wouldn't worry about it, you can drop Psychology after AS so it shouldn't affect your overall grades too much.
Psychology is really interesting, give it a go
English lit is the worst on that list, it drove me to the edge! :smile:
Reply 14
AS psych doesnt actually have a huge essay to write , the only time you have to write lots is in the final A2 exam , well thats for OCR but i think the exam boards are similar. AS psych is fairly easy if you read the spec, you are expected to do 4 AS , i you drop one now you are stuck with the same 3 at A2 and depending on how AS goes that could be bad times.
(edited 12 years ago)
This is similar to me, I did English, Psychology, History (and maths but i dropped that pretty quick :smile:) while a friend of mine did your exact subjects. There is a lot of work, although mainly in A2 to be honest. Psychology is a really interesting subject, I think you should try it for a while at least. Most people at our school did pretty well in the end, i got an A* even though i was feeling a bit swamped. Just do your best!

And besides, my AS psychology exam was mainly short answer questions. So just recalling info not writing essays.
(edited 12 years ago)
at the end of the year you will have little six packs growing on your fingers :teehee:
Reply 17
I dropped psychology after 2 days when I was at Sixth Form. Immediately realised it wasn't for me.

I'd give it a bit longer if I were you, maybe a few weeks - that's if you really are interested in studying it. My thing was languages so my third subject was always going to be something I wouldn't enjoy as much. A lot of my friends did psychology and they all seemed to enjoy it.
If your not good at time management I would drop it. English literature takes up a lot of time during the year...
There's no essays for AS psychology if your doing AQA. If I were you I'd keep it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending