The Student Room Group

Is French at AS/A Level Hard?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I took an AS level in French last year, it's safe to say if you enjoy French and you are at a good standard then it's definitely a good choice! AS level French, with AQA at least, is essentially a slightly more advanced version of GCSE as you study very similar topics just with a bit more depth, i.e. Sport, Music, Technology etc. Don't skimp on grammar would be my main advice! If you enjoy learning grammar and have a good grasp on it then AS level French'll be a breeze for you :smile:
If you do decide to take it, Bonne chance :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Timur
As a native French speaker who got A* and A for French GCSE and one-year A2 respectively, I don't remember ever having to analyse or read a French novel at all. I wrote an essay about La Haine, but mostly you have to talk about contemporary social issues, education, youth, drinking etc is the impression I got. It was nothing like GCSE or A-level English whatsoever. Which exam board did you use?

And S-Angel: it was easy for me, but I imagine it is more taxing for native English speakers, who seem genetically predisposed to be terrible at learning foreign languages lol. The main thing you'll need to focus on is learning the grammatical rul, especially their implications for word endings (courons, courez etc), accent use and sentence structure. I still don't really understand French grammar, I learned French naturalistically rather than formally. :smile:

A-level French is usually considered a major step up from GCSE in difficulty.

Not everyone who studies French studies the same cultural topic even when they're on the same exam board. For instance, I'm going to study Volver and the Spanish Civil War for my cultural topic in Spanish, but I know others who are studying the novel Como Chocolate para Agua and something else.
Reply 22
Pas si difficile que ça!
Reply 23
Original post by S-Angel
Can anyone who takes/took it tell me about your experience please? I'm taking it and tbh I'm a bit concerned about how much of a jump it is from GCSE :/

It's fairly evil
Reply 24
Original post by Sem193
Not everyone who studies French studies the same cultural topic even when they're on the same exam board. For instance, I'm going to study Volver and the Spanish Civil War for my cultural topic in Spanish, but I know others who are studying the novel Como Chocolate para Agua and something else.

I see. Thankyou.
It's not that hard if you know grammar. Plus, if you enjoy it, and do extra work which doesn't actually seem like extra work, then it's fine. By extra work, I mean things like reading magazines and watching films. Bonne chance!
Original post by joanna-eve
Vous avez étudié quel roman ?

We're doing Antigone. In fact, it's a play, which makes the vocab and grammar interesting haha.
Reply 27
Original post by Kaylaleigh
We're doing Antigone. In fact, it's a play, which makes the vocab and grammar interesting haha.

Oh cool :smile: Which board are you doing?
Oh cool :smile: Which board are you doing?

AQA, although I'm not sure if there is a selection of books within the board or how the exam relates too it...I'm assuming an essay question. I always assumed I'd hate literature, but I'm actually rather enjoying it :smile:
Reply 29
AQA, although I'm not sure if there is a selection of books within the board or how the exam relates too it...I'm assuming an essay question. I always assumed I'd hate literature, but I'm actually rather enjoying it :smile:

Chouette ! I don't know what board I am on, but I know we have a 2 hour reading/writing/listening paper that includes an essay so maybe it's about literature :awesome: Is that the only text you're going to study or are there others do you know?
Chouette ! I don't know what board I am on, but I know we have a 2 hour reading/writing/listening paper that includes an essay so maybe it's about literature :awesome: Is that the only text you're going to study or are there others do you know?

Ahh That sounds like our paper! Although, I know we already have a geography based essay in the paper this year, so I'm not sure :L
I'm not sure if we will be studying anything else, I hope so! I'm also reading in my own time 'un sac de billes' which is really good too :smile:
Reply 31
Ahh That sounds like our paper! Although, I know we already have a geography based essay in the paper this year, so I'm not sure :L
I'm not sure if we will be studying anything else, I hope so! I'm also reading in my own time 'un sac de billes' which is really good too :smile:

Just looked it up and I'm doing AQA too! Are you doing A2 at the moment?
Just looked it up and I'm doing AQA too! Are you doing A2 at the moment?

Yeah :smile:, however I may or may not be resitting the written paper in january, it depends what I got my weaker grade in of the two modules

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending