The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Herr Stamper
First session of 2012 - Knee injury.

This year is going to be a struggle I know it.

Damn, that sucks. What happened?
Was squatting, everything was fine. Put on 180, in the hole I got sharp knee pain. Easy squat but I left it there. Got ice on it now, and will put some other stuff on it later. Had it before, comes out of nowhere. Last time I had it I had to pull stiff legged, and got up to 305kg so its not the end of the world lol. Frustrating mind.
Original post by Herr Stamper
Was squatting, everything was fine. Put on 180, in the hole I got sharp knee pain. Easy squat but I left it there. Got ice on it now, and will put some other stuff on it later. Had it before, comes out of nowhere. Last time I had it I had to pull stiff legged, and got up to 305kg so its not the end of the world lol. Frustrating mind.

That's annoying. How long did it take until it was fine again last time?We talking days, weeks or months?

Trying to avoid injuries was one of my excuses for going in today and doing a stupidly light workout. A light 5*5 workout to start the year off was alright, then smashed it out on the upper body to work the broceps...
Weeks probably. Think i'll be wrapping my knees from now on.
Any of you guys use coconut oil? Where's the best place to find it? I think Tesco's have it but it's like gold - £6.50 for a tiny jar ---****!!
Original post by cowsforsale
Any of you guys use coconut oil? Where's the best place to find it? I think Tesco's have it but it's like gold - £6.50 for a tiny jar ---****!!

I use MP, lasts ages and tastes exactly like coconut when fried :biggrin:

Packaging is a bit dodgy though so half of the oil is on the tub :colondollar:
Box squats. Free squats. Disparity.

Need input!
Original post by Michael XYZ
Box squats. Free squats. Disparity.

Need input!

Okay. You're box squatting wrong or high if your box squat is anywhere near your free squat.
Original post by Tango189
I use MP, lasts ages and tastes exactly like coconut when fried :biggrin:

Packaging is a bit dodgy though so half of the oil is on the tub :colondollar:

Didn't realise MP sold it! Cheers :YY: something else to order from them that's NOT whey protein :smile:.

Have you ever had it "raw"? I hardly fry my food anymore.
Original post by cowsforsale
Didn't realise MP sold it! Cheers :YY: something else to order from them that's NOT whey protein :smile:.

Have you ever had it "raw"? I hardly fry my food anymore.

Yeah, it tastes very much like oily, melted down coconut. It's very thin too I may add. I did try looking in asian shops before for it but those coconut oils were more health and beauty orientated so I just bought some from MP instead, a tub should last a couple of months at the very least.
I have a sharp pain on my right side around the rib/lat area. It comes and goes but can be really painful when prepping to do a set of bench press, and when lifting myself up after the set, but not actually during the set. It can even come when I sit up in bed in the morning, and similar movements. Noticed it a couple of weeks ago and (probably stupidly) trained through it. I took a week or so off from training over the new year, but the pain is still there. Anyone had anything similar?
Original post by Smack
Okay. You're box squatting wrong or high if your box squat is anywhere near your free squat.

It was parallel.

The wrong thing may well be the reason. I don't know if it was though... just like a normal squat but sitting on a box. I didn't do it like Westside as I said as I've read it's a lot more beneficial for a raw lifter to do it similar to how they would normally squat.
I had some coconut oil from MP for Christmas lol .

Michael sit right back on the box , pause briefly , explode up . Everyone I see bounces.
Original post by commandant
I had some coconut oil from MP for Christmas lol .

Michael sit right back on the box , pause briefly , explode up . Everyone I see bounces.

That's what I do.

I try push back quite a bit (but not so, so much) and pause for a bit and then explode up.
Ugh, had three hours sleep revising for this B&F exam in two hours. Just finished a chapter on and have learnt the entire UK Corporate Governance Code (2010). ****ing Accountancy.
How close a grip do you guys use for normal benching?

Someone told me the other day that my usual benching grip is their close grip position...

I use grip 2 from below for benching.

If people could respond using my excelolently labelled diagram numbered 1-4 below then that would help.
1 Touching inside of knurling,
2 halfway along first bit
3, on edge of inner bit.
4, on the outer edge of the little break.
I think I use 3.
Original post by MHorman
How close a grip do you guys use for normal benching?

Someone told me the other day that my usual benching grip is their close grip position...

I use grip 2 from below for benching.

If people could respond using my excelolently labelled diagram numbered 1-4 below then that would help.
1 Touching inside of knurling,
2 halfway along first bit
3, on edge of inner bit.
4, on the outer edge of the little break.

I have my pinky finger on the ring
I reckon I would be closest to 4. I have quite long arms so I used one of the others getting a decent elbow tuck would be awkward.
I think I use(d) 3 as well.

Latest