The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SMed
I've never stretched before lifting. Not something you're supposed to really being doing much of before resistance training, unless there's a very specific reason. I went through some elbow problems during squats a while back, and so I used to do some upper body stretches to loosen up my shoulders and elbows. It helped for that. But I'd never stretch out the muscles I'm about need to be very tense.

I don't necessarily mean static stretching which can negatively impact strength.
I do a bunch of leg swings and other dynamic stretches for my hips before squatting and deadlifting and maybe some static stretches for my hip flexors if they are feeling tight that day.
Just started watching Breaking Bad. Finished episode 2 today. It's good but a bit slow. Does the pace pick up?
Original post by Becca
Just started watching Breaking Bad. Finished episode 2 today. It's good but a bit slow. Does the pace pick up?

Yea, does take a while though.

I watched all 4 seasons over the last 2 weeks. They keep getting better imo with Season 4 being the best. Watched the whole season this weekend.

There needs to be more geeky chemistry in it though. It was all fairly basic.
Original post by Becca

Yes. Third and fourth season are just amazing. Here and there it is a tad dry I will admit. But on the whole, it's amazing and definitely one of the best TV shows ever created.

Started watching "Suits" recently. Pretty decent. Not amazing but I like the premise
Original post by Becca

All 4 seasons are amazing. I was hooked after the first couple of episodes, gets better and better.
Girlfriend and I are watching it too

finished season 1 yesterday, about to watch first ep of season 2 now

Have to say the first series was good, though pretty slow. Nothing has beaten the wire or 24 yet, those two made me wet
Original post by commandant
Girlfriend and I are watching it too

finished season 1 yesterday, about to watch first ep of season 2 now

Have to say the first series was good, though pretty slow. Nothing has beaten the wire or 24 yet, those two made me wet

That was nothing. Wait till you get to 3rd and 4th seasons.
Yeah every season gets better with Breaking Bad. The first is quite slow, second gets better, third is great and fourth is amazing.
Original post by Michael XYZ
I think I need to up my recovery game. I foam roll but need to be more consistent with it. Don't really do any stretches. I know some who go to the gym and stretch for like 10 minutes before they squat for example. Monk, for example, I've seen a few times stretch quite a bit prior to weights. All I do is walk fast on the treadmill for like 4 minutes, do some bodyweight squats, do some leg swings and I start.

I do leg swings, arm circles and stuff of that nature before lifting to get the blood flowing. I'll do some band distracted hip flexor stretching before lower body stuff and some band distracted shoulder stuff before pressing if they feel **** but that's about it tbh.

I do a lot of foam rolling and stretching at home though. Helps me relax before I sleep/definitely helps recovery between sessions (mine is not very good as is:colondollar:)
had a 1g of caffeine before my workout today as i felt ****, hit prs on everything....all hail caffeine.
now i feel guilty as i'm going out tmoz and probs **** up my recovery ;(
I don't do any stretching before lifting, but I foam roll my back and legs about twice a week and I do a lot of stretching at boxing
Yes there's a good thread on Misc I just found about stretches for squatting which would just generally be pretty good to do.

If anyone is curious: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137815533&page=1
Reply 8233
Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad are easily the best shows I have ever watched. Need to watch Mad Men sometime.
the only stretches i do are once a week at kickboxing, other than body weight squats before squats, and occasional arm stretches when bored in seminars
Me and my housemates(all chemists) could totally get all the stuff to make meth. Just saying... We'd need to find a Tuco or Gus to help sell it all though...

Original post by Gallium
had a 1g of caffeine before my workout today as i felt ****, hit prs on everything....all hail caffeine.

PRs on everything?*checks blog*

Lovely deads and press but you wrote deadlifts first, Did you do deadlifts before pressing and squatting?
Need help guys. Basically...I've put on....erm....a lot of weight these past two terms (you don't want to know) and I really can't stand it, plus I have no money for new clothes.

I need to cut weight/recomp. What's the best programme? I just want to get a bit more focused on aesthetics this time around since I'm not playing sports right now I need to worry less on actual strength and conditioning.
Reply 8237
Original post by Gallium

A gram of caffeine? Da fuq?
Original post by SMed
A gram of caffeine? Da fuq?

it does seem crazy high amount

on my pack of my protein caffeine pills it recommends that 400mg a day is the maximum

Latest