The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8360
I deadlift practically barefoot - DL slippers. I'm not going to squat barefoot.
Got unsubbed somehow
Original post by paddy__power
Ever forget to clean your shaker for a few days? FML.

Yea, like everytime i use them. Find best way to cloean is make a bowl of hot soapy water then submerge them before opening. Kills the smell...

Also, i deadlifted barefoot once and hit a nice PB. It's like doing them raised up about 1.5/2cm because of having no heel.

Other news, nice run this morning. I enjoy running up to about 5k. Probs won't ever really try beyond that...
Reply 8363
Original post by Arturo Bandini
Got unsubbed somehow

Apparently there's a bug if you go into advanced reply, it kicks you off sub. You have to only use quick reply for now. If you want to quote, use the multi quote button. I keep forgetting to do this and keep getting kicked off sub.
Original post by SMed
Yeah, not fun especially if mixed with chocolate milk. I've got a sealed thermos with remnants of coffee from like 3 weeks ago. Not looking forward to opening that. lol

I had to work away with boiling water and a knife for several minutes to get it shifted (ish). Lesson learnt :lol:
Original post by SMed
Apparently there's a bug if you go into advanced reply, it kicks you off sub. You have to only use quick reply for now. If you want to quote, use the multi quote button. I keep forgetting to do this and keep getting kicked off sub.

great upgrade we got here!
How do you guys deal with benching and getting spots if you don't have a training partner? I hate asking people because 90% of the time they are stupid.

Training partner pissing me off these days. Gets lazy and doesn't do much work during week and then complains that gym takes up all of his time. Don't care if he doesn't come other days but annoying not going the day that it actually matters for me too.
Ask somebody that works there?

although I'm lucky in that I know the staff and none of them are retarded
Saturday is usually fairly empty and the weakest of the gym are there. Hopefully someone decent will be there and I'll ask them.
Bench in a cage?

I read over at starting strength forums that apparantly someone burst a vein/artery when they failed a bench and tried to roll the barell down their body.
Original post by cowsforsale
Bench in a cage?

I read over at starting strength forums that apparantly someone burst a vein/artery when they failed a bench and tried to roll the barell down their body.

Well ****, thanks for scaring the **** out of me before I go bench...
Original post by Michael XYZ
How do you guys deal with benching and getting spots if you don't have a training partner? I hate asking people because 90% of the time they are stupid. Training partner pissing me off these days. Gets lazy and doesn't do much work during week and then complains that gym takes up all of his time. Don't care if he doesn't come other days but annoying not going the day that it actually matters for me too.

I either go with no spot or if there's someone i recognise that i see there all the time i just ask them.

Tbh lately i've been there and the gym has been so busy i've been sharing the bench with others so it's easy to get one of them to spot you when they're stood next to the bench the whole time.

Also, i find if you tell them at the start that you're going to be slow and don't want them touching the bar unless you tell them to then it's fine.

Similiar annoying thing last week i was spotting for some other guy, he fails his 3rd rep at like 90kg so i give him a decent amount of help and then he carries on for 2 more reps. On the 4th rep he barely moved it off his chest and i had to clearly use a lot of help to stop him hurting himself.By the last rep i had to upright row the frigging bar.
I bench in a cage. If I fail I can bring the bar to rest on the safety catches above my neck, and it still allows me to get a full ROM.
Going to a bbq grill for lunch :biggrin:

but i'm not hungry :frown:

me-gusta.jpg
How do you guys deal with benching and getting spots if you don't have a training partner? I hate asking people because 90% of the time they are stupid.

Training partner pissing me off these days. Gets lazy and doesn't do much work during week and then complains that gym takes up all of his time. Don't care if he doesn't come other days but annoying not going the day that it actually matters for me too.

If the gym owner isn't there (only member of staff I'd trust for a spot) and nobody who's interested in PL is there, I just go short of failure. Though I basically never do singles on bench. So no real need for a spot. Most times I never bother with a spot.

If I'm doing a triple say and the 3rd would be very hard, I just say very clearly "do NOT touch the bar unless I say so, even if the rep looks very hard. Also, stand out of my line of sight please, don't need a hand-off". If they then touch the bar when not asked I just never ask them again.

So long a you're clear, even the most bro of bros should stop fingering the bar.
Reply 8375

This. I am on a first in second year so far and I have enough time to fit the gym in. Granted, I am also a socially awkward virgin but lets just ignore that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Sometimes it's best just to do things on your own. That way you only have to fit things to your own schedule. I agree about ****ting spotters on the bench press though. That's what ultimately lead me to stop doing it.
If no spotters I just lower the weight and do paused bench.
what do you guys think of not following any specific programming? like for squats atm i'm just doing 3-5 sets of 3 with a 10 rep back off set 2-3 times a week, bench i'm doing the same twice per week same with ohp.....deadlifts i'm using a 5/3/1 structure but increasing the weight more rapidly and deadlifting every 5 days.

also i hate not feeling sore anymore been to lazy last month too do much assistance work.... even after deadlift day i'm not sore ;(

stayed at a buffet for a good 2-3 hours today came home weighed myself literally went from 157ish to like 165lbs lol
Thread going at a mile an hour these days.

Latest