The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Michael XYZ
I googled it and, I mean, Cambridge (which isn't big) said not to bother until 4-5 months of moving in. You'd move in September so that's like about now to think about it.

London is big but also many, many students so I don't know how that all works out.

In London you can find accommodation at any time of year without much worry - it's a matter of when you've found people that you wouldn't mind living with.. At some other unis you have to look earlier, because the accommodation is far more limited and the good stuff goes pretty quickly. (Warwick is an example - the nice houses in Leamington tend to be all but gone by end of January)
Reply 8941
I've always thought American's were abnormally strong and big for their age.
How come?
Their food portions are larger, they have lots of growth hormones in meat and their sports are a lot more focussed on size and strength.
I think it's just pushing them at a young age.

For example, who here had a decent gym in their secondary school? I had a couple of machines and that's it. They have power racks, free weights etc. Everything you need really.

Plus I think they put a lot of emphasis on muscle building for sports. Like here even Rugby players don't do that much do they? Also rarely would see a Cricket player or whatever at a gym. But in US you get a lot of people playing baseball, football, soccer etc. and they all go to the gym.
The documentary 'Bigger Stronger Faster' gives a bit of an insight into how muscle building, lifting and steroids are woven into American culture.
Original post by McHumpy92
Their food portions are larger, they have lots of growth hormones in meat and their sports are a lot more focussed on size and strength.

hmmm yeah the Americans (and Australians and Europeans) have such a better work ethic when it comes to sport and gym work :frown:
Got back from the gym, had a late lunch then lay down on my bed for a moment. Accidentally fell asleep, woke up to find it's now 7pm. WHAT.
Yeah my school gym has a smith machine, a bar with weights going up to 80-90 kg, and a big machine with leg press, cable, machine press and glute/ham raises.This only came in about a year ago.

That's one thing with USA, they take their sports very seriously, i guess we take football seriously but they have a lot more structure through the school for these sports.
Original post by desijut
Yeah my school gym has a smith machine, a bar with weights going up to 80-90 kg, and a big machine with leg press, cable, machine press and glute/ham raises.This only came in about a year ago.

That's one thing with USA, they take their sports very seriously, i guess we take football seriously but they have a lot more structure through the school for these sports.

I went to highschool in the US and this is something I regret not taking advantage of at the time. Then again I was too busy playing EverQuest.
My school has the worst gym I've ever been in, I think all the equipment in there was stuff that other people were throwing away.
Your schools had gyms?!
My secondary school had a 2 cable machines and that was it for weights.

Not sure what my college had, never used it as a gym as i was all into cardio back then and was running/cycling otuside or in the home gym my parents had...
Original post by Becca
Your schools had gyms?!

Well, a poor excuse for one at the most.

Edit: Oh yes, anyone here do any rowing/did rowing at uni? I thought rowers had to be quite strong/fairly big? I see my friend is doing it at Oxford and on Facebook he has a picture with his team. There's like 6 of them or something, all really small. =/

If that was America they'd be squatting 4 plates and benching 3 plates easily.
(edited 12 years ago)
Lol my school had a fizzy pop vending machine for 6th formers and that was the best thing! :yy:
MBS brahs, I think we should go to an all female yoga class before lifting at next meet as a warmup.
Well, a poor excuse for one at the most.

Edit: Oh yes, anyone here do any rowing/did rowing at uni? I thought rowers had to be quite strong/fairly big? I see my friend is doing it at Oxford and on Facebook he has a picture with his team. There's like 6 of them or something, all really small. =/

If that was America they'd be squatting 4 plates and benching 3 plates easily.

Rowing isn't really a sport where a large amount of muscle mass is all that useful, hence why most of them are pretty small. It's more of a cardio sport like running. The rowers I know do a lot of running.
Original post by Smack
Rowing isn't really a sport where a large amount of muscle mass is all that useful, hence why most of them are pretty small. It's more of a cardio sport like running. The rowers I know do a lot of running.

Not a large amount, but strong legs and back would be very helpful, no?

I guess it depends how rowing is done. I thought there were different lengths? Some of them are very short and surely, like 100-200m race where you got kinda built guys, it would be the same for rowing.
Our school gym was really old so did actually have squat racks and barbells. Also had a weird but decent leg press.

No one would do anything worth while and I would mainly play badminton instead.
Not a large amount, but strong legs and back would be very helpful, no?

I guess it depends how rowing is done. I thought there were different lengths? Some of them are very short and surely, like 100-200m race where you got kinda built guys, it would be the same for rowing.

But the question is: how strong do your gym numbers have to be to give you enough leg and back strength to effectively compete in rowing? The answer appears to be not much compared to those of us who train for strength, although some is definitely helpful, no-one is denying that. But your average rower does not and does not need to squat anywhere close to four plates.

Latest