The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How much would a world class sprinter squat? How about world class distance runner?
About tree fiddy.
They don't

:ninja:
Go train some decent high school athletes for rowing and they'd tear **** up.

I think it's the same with rugby really. I know it's a lot more cardio but, honestly, take NFL players and they'd murder it.
Original post by warwickorbristol
How much would a world class sprinter squat? How about world class distance runner?

Depends massively on the type of sprinter. But 180kg would be about right, some more some less. They're genetically more suited for powercleans and deadlifts, most won't deadlift much at all.
Does anyone getting acid reflux (I think that's what it is...) quite often?

For example if I'm at the gym and really exerting myself in a certain position then I'll get it - for example on one-arm DB rows or hard leg presses. Feels like I'm about to throw up any minute.

No idea why. When I checked it said Ibuprofen may be a cause. I've recently started taking them a bit more often so could be that.
Original post by Michael XYZ
Does anyone getting acid reflux (I think that's what it is...) quite often?

For example if I'm at the gym and really exerting myself in a certain position then I'll get it - for example on one-arm DB rows or hard leg presses. Feels like I'm about to throw up any minute.

No idea why. When I checked it said Ibuprofen may be a cause. I've recently started taking them a bit more often so could be that.

Ibuprofen wont cause acid reflux but excessive use will compromise your stomach's ability to protect itself against normal stomach acid and will therefore increase your risk of gastric ulcers.

Anything that increases intra-abdominal pressure (e.g. weights) or when you lie flat can cause acid reflux, especially if there is something wrong with your lower oesophageal sphincter.

If it's something that happens frequently (e.g. when eating or at night when you lie down), probably worth visiting your GP. Acid reflux isn't good in the long run. He will probs give you some PPIs or order further investigations if necessary.

Crazy..
Well, a poor excuse for one at the most.

Edit: Oh yes, anyone here do any rowing/did rowing at uni? I thought rowers had to be quite strong/fairly big? I see my friend is doing it at Oxford and on Facebook he has a picture with his team. There's like 6 of them or something, all really small. =/

If that was America they'd be squatting 4 plates and benching 3 plates easily.

He could be a lightweight rower, could be very tall. Also, unless he's a blue it means nothing. Any old out of shape idiot can get on a college boat.

But there isn't the same elite sporting culture, even at Oxford with regards rowing, as there is in America.
Reply 8969
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
I went to highschool in the US and this is something I regret not taking advantage of at the time. Then again I was too busy playing EverQuest.

Mind = blown.

Where? Why?
Original post by warwickorbristol

Dunno about squatting, but I've seen a vid of Harry Aikines-Aryeety (100m sprinter) powercleaning 160kg.

EDIT: :zomg:

make that 170kg...

He also has a vid of him front squatting 190kg...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SMed
Mind = blown.

Where? Why?

Florida. My family moved out there for 4-5 years for business. Got kicked out after 9/11 went down.
Reply 8972
Kicked out after 9/11? The fuq? Is your name Godspeed Allahu -Akbar Gehenna Bin Laden?
Well, a poor excuse for one at the most.

Edit: Oh yes, anyone here do any rowing/did rowing at uni? I thought rowers had to be quite strong/fairly big? I see my friend is doing it at Oxford and on Facebook he has a picture with his team. There's like 6 of them or something, all really small. =/

If that was America they'd be squatting 4 plates and benching 3 plates easily.

Original post by Smack
But the question is: how strong do your gym numbers have to be to give you enough leg and back strength to effectively compete in rowing? The answer appears to be not much compared to those of us who train for strength, although some is definitely helpful, no-one is denying that. But your average rower does not and does not need to squat anywhere close to four plates.

I know some people who row at my uni and all the cardio they do is ergs, and rowing.

they do s&c at least twice a week though and they're all at least 85-90kg at 6'2+

They're not particularly strong, but as far as sports teams here go, at least they train. seen them deadlifting around 4 plates and front squatting about a ton
Go train some decent high school athletes for rowing and they'd tear **** up.

I think it's the same with rugby really. I know it's a lot more cardio but, honestly, take NFL players and they'd murder it.

Rowing is a bit different compared to some sports. UK based juniors are probably held in the highest regard compared to those from other countries. Many of the top US universities recruit large quantities of freshmen from the UK. This is despite the fact that US high schoolers probably get much better weights training from a younger age.

A 2k is also around 85% aerobic, so being good at weights has a smaller effect compared to having a strong aerobic base and being able to tolerate high levels of lactate.
Original post by Becca
Dunno about squatting, but I've seen a vid of Harry Aikines-Aryeety (100m sprinter) powercleaning 160kg.

EDIT: :zomg:

make that 170kg...

He also has a vid of him front squatting 190kg...

He only lifts weights once a week and even less when competing. I think he weighs 86kg also. Pretty mental strength considering the lack of effort.
Watching Joe DeFranco stuff is always amazing.

NFL players are just ****ing awesome! Fast, strong, explosive, etc. etc.
Reply 8977
I find it interesting how for the average male a 100kg bench is seen as quite an achievement to get. But in America for NFL you need to be benching that at least for 10 reps if not more.
It's more like 30 reps.

You need about a 500lbs bench to hit around 40 it seems. The record is 49 reps.
(edited 12 years ago)
A 100kg bench press is easily achievable and done people who know what their doing easily within the first year. It only seems impressive because people at the gyms you train at can't bench ****.

Latest