The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Pause squats or Oly squat as ME?
Original post by HilariousNinja
You sure you wanna start from scratch? Try f8 before startup (before windows logo) and try which options you want.

I don't know.

The PC runs fine apart from the fact that over past few days I've had blue screen of death twice. Usually happens late at night.

Also, I don't know why but there's problems like I can't use system restore at all for example. Tried different dates, none work.

It is a bit dodgy and I'm worried I may end up getting in a loop that means I can't turn my PC on properly.
first day of intermittent fasting done, fuarkkkk i'm quite tired noww.....food gorge ftw!

btw been eating tortelloni almost 800 cals per packet!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Michael XYZ
I don't know.

The PC runs fine apart from the fact that over past few days I've had blue screen of death twice. Usually happens late at night.

Also, I don't know why but there's problems like I can't use system restore at all for example. Tried different dates, none work.

It is a bit dodgy and I'm worried I may end up getting in a loop that means I can't turn my PC on properly.

Oh ok fair enough. Does the BSOD have a particular error code? If so google it and see what comes up, or make a note what you're doin when it goes.

The F8 solution is more appropriate for startup issues, so once you get in a loop it's your first port of call.
lol @ windows bsod
yeah even though i talked about reinstall on the last page, there probably is a better/easier solution.

It could just be due to overheating, if it has lots of dust in it/was on carpet/bed

Best bet is try and find the log from the blue screen, google the error code, and go from there. (google to find out how to find the BSOD error code in the first place)
Original post by Gallium
first day of intermittent fasting done, fuarkkkk i'm quite tired noww.....food gorge ftw!

btw been eating tortelloni almost 800 cals per packet!

I'm going to give IF a go at some point this year

can you give me the brief guidelines?

cba to have a full search on google, did read about it a while back
Original post by commandant
I'm going to give IF a go at some point this year

can you give me the brief guidelines?

cba to have a full search on google, did read about it a while back

well i'm doing it as i'm super busy, not even intentional tbf.

atm i go to sleep at 1am wake up at 8 go uni do all my **** at 2-3pm train fasted......have a pre-workout shake before-hand 5g bcaa caffiene and some other **** like arginine.... 5pm is when i open the fast and start eating.

so it's a 16 hour fast and the meals go as follows.

5pm: 2 scoops whey, 2 scoop oats and fruit
7pm: Home made chicken pizza(really good nice macros too)
9pm: spag bol
11pm: 4-5 whole eggs 2 egg white omlette with rice and salmon
before bed: same shake as 5pm

may not seem like much but big portions

tbf i don't even get hungry as i'm distracted by other-stuff during the day, and when your training fasted your not thinking about your stomach but lifting.
(edited 12 years ago)
Nothing bad with eating six meals of clean stuff a day.

I have yet to find a competitive athlete that uses IF.
Are any of us competitive athletes? And no-one have said there is anything inherently bad with eating six times a day. I just can't be bothered making six meals.
(edited 12 years ago)
A few of us are competitive athletes, surely?
What matters is whether or not the diet is backed up by scientific evidence.
Reply 9172
What works is what matters.
**** dieting, use clenbutoral instead?
Original post by Oh I Really Don't Care
Nothing bad with eating six meals of clean stuff a day.

I have yet to find a competitive athlete that uses IF.

Seeing as your back on again care to answer for your stupidity from last week, where Michael and I called you on it and you ignored us?

Just to refresh your memory

Original post by Oh I Really Don't Care
http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/184/2/110.short

"Cannabis use appears to be neither a sufficient nor a necessary cause for psychosis."

Hey, if you want to be a sheep and believe the government be my guest. Baaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.

Original post by Michael XYZ
"On an individual level, cannabis use confers an overall twofold increase in the relative risk for later schizophrenia. At the population level, elimination of cannabis use would reduce the incidence of schizophrenia by approximately 8%, assuming a causal relationship."

Ehm...?

Original post by Monkey_Pete
did you even read any of that before you linked to it

another quote from it

"In this review we have tried to determine whether cannabis is a cause of schizophrenia. We have shown that all the available population-based studies on the issue have found that cannabis use is associated with later schizophrenia outcomes (Table 1). All these studies support the concept of temporal priority by showing that cannabis use most probably preceded schizophrenia. These studies also provide evidence for direction by showing that the association between adolescent cannabis use and adult psychosis persists after controlling for many potential confounding variables such as disturbed behaviour, low IQ, place of upbringing, cigarette smoking, poor social integration, gender, age, ethnic group, level of education, unemployment, single marital status and previous psychotic symptoms. Further evidence for a causal relationship is provided by the presence of a dose-response relationship between cannabis use and schizophrenia (Andréasson et al, 1988; van Os et al, 2002; Zammit et al, 2002), specificity of exposure (Arseneault et al, 2002; van Os et al, 2002; Zammit et al, 2002; Fergusson et al, 2003) and specificity of the outcome (Arseneault et al, 2002). Overall, cannabis use appears to confer a twofold risk of later schizophrenia or schizophreniform disorder (pooled odds ratio=2.34; 95% CI 1.69-2.95). "

I believe in reading the articles. I have actually studied this topic as part of my undergrad degree, whereas you are going by "broscience".

But,

Hey, if you want to be a sheep and ignore the scores of peer reviewed studies showing you are wrong be my guest. Baaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.

(i am aware of michaels post, i just also wanted to make a point)
Reply 9175
Original post by GQ.
What works is what matters.

...and what works (in an objective sense) is what is backed up by scientific evidence, not anecdotal evidence that has no control variables and placebo effects running riot.
Original post by Mdawg
...and what works (in an objective sense) is what is backed up by scientific evidence, not anecdotal evidence that has no control variables and placebo effects running riot.

See i kind of agree with you there. Scientific experimentation is important but no two people will interpret a set of data exactly the same way. And when you throw bias, personal agendas etc in the mix it can be messy.

Personally I see nothing wrong with n=1 self experimentation. Everyone is different and therefore should go out and find out what works for them (with extra help from science obviously). I only have a problem with it if people force said self experimentation hard on other people (and these people are usually the ones who come out with loads of nonsense like get your EFAs from fruit or eat tofu for protein etc)...
170kg pause squat. :smile:

(My current normal squat PR is 170kg, I think a 170kg pause squat means it's a bit higher now)
Original post by Monkey_Pete
Seeing as your back on again care to answer for your stupidity from last week, where Michael and I called you on it and you ignored us?

Just to refresh your memory

Original post by cowsforsale
Are any of us competitive athletes? And no-one have said there is anything inherently bad with eating six times a day. I just can't be bothered making six meals.

Yes - some of us are competitive athletes.

If you see results gfy - the point still stands it is not used or even viable with respect to athletes.

Latest