The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

^

Original post by Adidas90
Sort your life out

ontop of my work tho, just log on to moodle and rape that ****!
Reply 1902
Original post by Michael XYZ
Thanks.

If two pages is the amount I want, do I kind of need to fill both sides or else one will look odd if only half filled? Or does it not matter?

Fill it out as much as you can, you don't want your cv to make you look like you haven't made an effort at all.

There are certain professional CV templates you can use if your CV lacks in certain areas, basically you just add stuff like positions of responsibility, hobbies/interests etc :tongue:

If your still lost just see if any of your friends CV is also lacking and what they done to make up for it, but do not enlarge the fonts or anything or fill up the page, stick to black and one font, they pick out on these things even the size of letters in sentences etc and remember dates should always be on the left hand side.
I sent my crap cv to a management consultant I found on eBay , he edited it and made it look very professional. Also gave me a cover letter template . 22 pound . Excellent investment ..
Original post by commandant
I sent my crap cv to a management consultant I found on eBay , he edited it and made it look very professional. Also gave me a cover letter template . 22 pound . Excellent investment ..

In for cover letter template. :wink:

Right now not applying for jobs or anything. But there's a few trading things... one is real money and the other virtual. Wouldn't mind other way, in there to gain decent knowledge.

However, the cover letter for one asks to talk about a recent investment. I'm thinking of just lying completely and adding in some good technical terms to why I bought it etc.
Reply 1905
In for cover letter template. :wink:

Right now not applying for jobs or anything. But there's a few trading things... one is real money and the other virtual. Wouldn't mind other way, in there to gain decent knowledge.

However, the cover letter for one asks to talk about a recent investment. I'm thinking of just lying completely and adding in some good technical terms to why I bought it etc.

Get a job at tesco :wink:
Reply 1906
Thanks.

If two pages is the amount I want, do I kind of need to fill both sides or else one will look odd if only half filled? Or does it not matter?

All the advice we ever got was it doesn't much matter if it's 1 or 2 sides, but you need to fill whichever amount you choose. Blank space=bad apparently.
That's what I was worried about. I don't really think I have enough good stuff to fill two sides.
Hmm, really?

I've always been told 1 page is where it's at. For the simple reason that they probably don't even look at it for more than 10 seconds...

For investment banking. 1 page. Check out mergersandinquisitions
Reply 1909
I've redrafted my CV probably around close to 10 times now. It is pretty amazing now. I use a European style template but that is because I am avant garde as ****.
Reply 1910
Original post by commandant

I looked into it recently, but gave up as there are so many about, even though they offer your money back if your not happy with their service.

But still not sure though, how much did it cost you altogether ?

PM me a link a bro to it, thanks.

EDIT : I did change my CV a lot, but wouldn't mind getting a professional to do it, if its worth it and leads to a better job then why not.
Reply 1911
Original post by The Blind Monk
For investment banking. 1 page. Check out mergersandinquisitions

I always thought it was 2 pages ? for law it is anyway.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1912
Also, I wouldn't be overly anal about your CV quality/style if you are applying for non-grad jobs. Seriously I've been in job interviews where people turn up and pull out their scrumpled piece of shit CV out of their back pocket written in Comic Sans size 14 font with clipart in it.

Only when going for professional jobs do you require a Bateman eggshell white paper with Romanalian type.
Yeah a 2 page CV is about right. Would be interesting to see other peoples CV's actually, for comparisons of layout etc. Probably benefit the ones still to apply etc
Original post by FluxD
I've redrafted my CV probably around close to 10 times now. It is pretty amazing now. I use a European style template but that is because I am avant garde as ****.

Unaware of there being styles. What's Euro-style?

Original post by FluxD
Also, I wouldn't be overly anal about your CV quality/style if you are applying for non-grad jobs. Seriously I've been in job interviews where people turn up and pull out their scrumpled piece of shit CV out of their back pocket written in Comic Sans size 14 font with clipart in it.

Only when going for professional jobs do you require a Bateman eggshell white paper with Romanalian type.

Yes but one of them it's only for people at LSE, Oxbridge, Harvard, Yale and Stanford.

So I'm thinking that's quite tough competition brah.

Edit: Should I still include my GCSEs? Considering for uni I have only "LSE - Economics" and only having A-levels as an indicator seems small.
i'm be one of those people that gets lazy with placements and stuff, has anyone been on a placement abroad i'm kinda considering it ^^

lifting related: when you deload how much do you deload by? 10%?
Edit: Should I still include my GCSEs? Considering for uni I have only "LSE - Economics" and only having A-levels as an indicator seems small.

I'd put them in, not like it takes a lot of space. No need for detail, just the years studied "10 As, including Mathematics and English" will do.
Optimal CV length is 1 page right?

I'm lacking some space and gonna need to cut down so I can add in the internship I did this Summer. Not sure what to take out though... thinking I'll take out the skills bit where I've put I can use Excel, Word etc. I doubt anyone cares that much when it's quite obvious anyone can use.

A resume, primarily used in America, is one page whereas the CV, which is used here, is two pages. You need to look at CVs from professionals in the field you want to enter to accurately determine what can be removed.
Reply 1918
Speaking of this kind of thing any engineering brahs (I know there's lots of you) want to aware me on internships?
I'm in my second year now, could use some advice on when to apply and any tips would be cool.
Original post by fireph
Speaking of this kind of thing any engineering brahs (I know there's lots of you) want to aware me on internships?
I'm in my second year now, could use some advice on when to apply and any tips would be cool.

Start applying ASAP. Make sure your CV is the best it can be, network, and spend plenty of time with online applications.

Latest