Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

“You are going to Hell”

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever heard a Christian say this to someone?

I know a lot of non-religious people who don’t mind street preachers in general, but think that they overstep the mark when they say something like that in the thread title. I used to think it was a tad inappropriate. I believed that only God can judge a person and that it is therefore folly to speculate who is or is not going to Hell.

However I was reminded of the following verse recently by a friend who is involved in street preaching,

Everyone was expecting the Messiah to come soon, and they were eager to know whether John might be the Messiah. John answered their questions by saying, “I baptize you with water; but someone is coming soon who is greater than I am—so much greater that I’m not even worthy to be his slave and untie the straps of his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. He is ready to separate the chaff from the wheat with his winnowing fork. Then he will clean up the threshing area, gathering the wheat into his barn but burning the chaff with never-ending fire.” John used many such warnings as he announced the Good News to the people. (Luke 3:15-18 NLT)

I believe that the Gospel (good news) speaks for itself and that it is quite simply the best news one could ever receive. But is there a scriptural argument for spelling out the consequences of disbelieving and rejecting the good news? I believe there is. I believe that Christians should follow the example of John the Baptist by being honest with people who throw the good news back in their faces.

Do you find it offensive when Christians say you are going to Hell?

If you do, and you don’t believe in the concept of Hell, why do you find it offensive?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So are you!

I kid I kid
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    burning the chaff with never-ending fire-If that's the good news

:afraid:
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in hell but if a religious person told me to go to hell I would find it offensive because I know that they believe in it, and hence they are making a concious attempt to be rude to me.

And I don't enjoy people being rude to me no matter what they are saying.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought Jesus died to forgive the sins of man kind... so can anyone REALLY be sinners any more?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, I find it quite amusing.
    The best thing to do to such people is to offer them kinky homosexual sex, they always get so pissed off, it's amazing.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bakmouth)

If you do, and you don’t believe in the concept of Hell, why do you find it offensive?
    Not particularly. I find it a little arrogant and self-righteous of them however. It doesn't mean much to me as I don't believe in hell anyway. And sometimes I just find it downright amusing.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was told that the reason why I have Chronic Pain Syndrome is becuase I don't pray hard enough. I have also been told that i am wrong as I support gay people.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    I believe in Heaven & Hell, but if anybody told me i was going to hell i would be offended, as obviously that's a snap judgement towards me regarding what I'm doing at the time, which made them say that. And that moment will not define whether I go to their definition of hell, also it's ignorant because they have no idea about how I lead my life. My £0.02
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean01234)
    I thought Jesus died to forgive the sins of man kind... so can anyone REALLY be sinners any more?
    Christians believe that you have to have faith in Christ in order for your sins to be forgiven.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't find it offensive, I find it annoying.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've already been to hell. It's called shopping at Poundland on a Saturday afternoon.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If someone told me to go to Hell/ that I'm going to Hell, it might make me raise an eyebrow but I wouldn't take it to heart. I think Hell only exists if you believe it does and someone telling me I'm going to a place I don't believe in is pointless. It's on the same level as telling me I'm condemned to eternal torture in Narnia.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elanor92)
    I was told that the reason why I have Chronic Pain Syndrome is becuase I don't pray hard enough. I have also been told that i am wrong as I support gay people.
    I like your sig :yep:
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I tell them it's okay, I'm a masochist.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:

personally I wouldn't be too offended, but if you want a reason why people would be think of how you, or other christians, would feel if an atheist taunted that you are going to cease to exist and dwell in eternal nothingness when you die? even if you don't believe it, telling somebody things like that are hurtful
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to be christian to believe in heaven and hell...

To answer the question, I'd find it rather amusing if someone said I was going to hell... Especially as in high school my nickname was Lucifer and the only dressing up outfit I own is the grim reaper. :sexface:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't bother me, i get bothered when people try to convert me though, i have had time amongst those that proclaim faith, i found them quite closed minded and got away.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:

Yes, because in spite of it's being complete nonsense I don't take kindly to threats, and eternal torment in hell if you don't believe sounds like a threat to me.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 9, 2011
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.