The Student Room Group

Hair removal on eczema affected legs...

i have some eczema on my legs...basically i usually shave..but when i have a sore patch (sometimes a lot of patches) then i cant really shave my legs...but then i cant really use veet either as it says dont use on broken skin...and waxing would be the same :|

i dont want hairy legs either :|

what does anyone else do?!

Scroll to see replies

Fleece
i have some eczema on my legs...basically i usually shave..but when i have a sore patch (sometimes a lot of patches) then i cant really shave my legs...but then i cant really use veet either as it says dont use on broken skin...and waxing would be the same :|

i dont want hairy legs either :|

what does anyone else do?!
I have the same problem... at the moment I just carry on shaving but if anyones got a better method I'd love to hear it! Btw, where about is ur excema? Mines on my ankles and calves...
Reply 2
hmmmm maybe save ALOT of money to buy an epilator. They normally cost around £34.99 - £50.99. They work by gently plucking your hair without removing your skin. But the down side to it (apart from being painful and expensive lol), you might need to exfoliate before doing it to prevent ingrowing hairs. If youve tried waxing before and found you didnt need to exfoliate before waxing then I dont think you'll need to exfoliate. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
I wouldn't you an epilator on sensitive and broken skin, it would hurt even more than it already does :s-smilie: I say go to a beauticians and ask them for recommendations or even a dermatologist?
Reply 4
icedsilhouette
I have the same problem... at the moment I just carry on shaving but if anyones got a better method I'd love to hear it! Btw, where about is ur excema? Mines on my ankles and calves...

on my calves :frown:

i should really go back to the doctors with it..so i could see what he suggests..
Reply 5
I have the same problem, I put tones of cream on after shaving, but it still doesn't help that much. x
Reply 6
Hiya, I have exactly the same problem, all over my calves, where there isn't broken skin, there's scars. I use an aloe vera propolis cream from a website called aloevera.co.uk (I think thats the address, could be wrong, my mum buys it for me). It's very good, stops the itch, and it would probably clear up if I didn't scratch in the night while being too tired and lazy to get out of bed and put some on.
Reply 7
i hav eczma on my leg as well :frown: t need to shave or wax my legs as often becasue i;m not a really hair person and have hardly any hair on mine anyway

But what i suggest is use an epilator, becaseu those leave on shaving cream and shaver takes a layer of your skin off so i suggest you to steer clear of them
Well the most beneficiary way (My dermatologist told me this) is to use a razor and work my way around the area and slap on creams and ointments and when its fully healed or went down a little then you can shave the affected area unfortauntely theres no other way :frown: sorry :frown: xoxo
Reply 9
Can you just leave it? I'm assuming you won't want to show of your eczema covered legs anyway, so hair wouldn't be visable under trousers.
Juno
Can you just leave it? I'm assuming you won't want to show of your eczema covered legs anyway, so hair wouldn't be visable under trousers.

awk now that aint nice :frown: - some people are confident to show their eczema - I know im proud of showing my psoriasis especially on my arms and back i dont care anymore xoxo
Reply 11
But it's winter now anyway, and legs are different to arms.
Juno
But it's winter now anyway, and legs are different to arms.

they are still a limb :p: yeah its winter but maybe she wants to wear a skirt and ezcema can get irritated with tights and the air does ezcema pretty good :biggrin: xoxo
Reply 13
Tomásíona - Mháire
they are still a limb :p: yeah its winter but maybe she wants to wear a skirt and ezcema can get irritated with tights and the air does ezcema pretty good :biggrin: xoxo
I'm not trying to be mean. I used to have urticaria, which is slightly different but just as itchy and unsightly. But I think if your ezcema is bad enough to stop you shaving then it's bad enough to make you feel self conscious enough to hide it!

And legs aren't like arms, as many people wear short sleeves in winter and are fine. But with skirts it's very cold, especially without tights!
Juno
I'm not trying to be mean. I used to have urticaria, which is slightly different but just as itchy and unsightly. But I think if your ezcema is bad enough to stop you shaving then it's bad enough to make you feel self conscious enough to hide it!

And legs aren't like arms, as many people wear short sleeves in winter and are fine. But with skirts it's very cold, especially without tights!

I'm sorry I didn't mean to have a go at you :frown: - the only reason they don't want to shave it because they don't want it either to weep or catch infection from lifting the affected skin - also its extremely painful to shave over ezcema or psoriasis or any relative skin condition like this makes it bleed like f*** when you do :frown: Sorry once again I feel horrible :frown: xoxo
Use baby oil instead of a foam/gel and a dullish razor like those pink gilette venus things - much gentler than a regular disposable or blokes razor.
Reply 16
Juno

harsh. but i do have a boyfriend who i dont wish to feel my hairy legs :rolleyes:

--------------

thanks for the suggestions everyone :smile:
What about:
http://www.nevershaveagain.com/info.aspx

I've no pior knowledge of it, but it's an idea I've been toying with for a while now. Expensive though...
I know this is an old thread, but I just used Nair's new spray-on argon oil depilatory, and it's awesome! Very cooling on, no irritation so far, and much better than nicking inflamed areas with a razor and spreading the infection! I did wash with Dial antibacterial soap after, patted dry, and applied some Cerave cream. If you (or anyone else) are still suffering from eczema and need a way to remove hair that doesn't hurt like a b*tch or make it worse, try that new Nair! I haven't used it since the '90s and it is so, so much better. It even smells better (thank god)...
Sorry for the late reply. You might have healed by now. Just to share I have e same prob too. I waited for it to heal. I then use veet for sensitive skin. After I keep on moisturising my skin with cetaphil lotion. It even looks like the scar is goin off now.

I'm sorry to say that while e skin is broken and if it is oozing there is nothing much u can do bt just to let the wound dried up 1st.

Quick Reply

Latest