The Student Room Group

BBC NEWS: Shafilea Ahmed's parents charged with her murder

Scroll to see replies

Original post by swaggiee
Its a shame that in the case of honour killings, the killers prioritize their culture over their religion.

I agree :frown:
Reply 21
Original post by diggy
The crime is extremely serious and sad but I was quite shocked to find that their own daughter testified against them

She has ultimately severed ties with her community and obviously her parents.The world can be a lonely place without any family by your side

Yet on the other hand her sister deserves justice

She's a criminal too. So hopefully she gets some jail time for what she did. Which will be lonely I hope. Also shocked that what this girl says is counted as "evidence" based on what she is capable of doing and who she spends her time with. If you know the personal sides of the story then you'd understand what I mean.

there's more to this case then the media has ever reported.
Original post by Qaz25
She's a criminal too. So hopefully she gets some jail time for what she did. Which will be lonely I hope. Also shocked that what this girl says is counted as "evidence" based on what she is capable of doing and who she spends her time with. If you know the personal sides of the story then you'd understand what I mean.

there's more to this case then the media has ever reported.

Are you talking about the robbery? Or are you talking about the fact that she knew her parents had killed her sister but she said nothing?

And yes, I do believe that the media has not released all information so that the case is not jeopradised.
Reply 23
This murder doesn't come as a surprise really. Pakistani and Asian muslim girls in general are slowly having a bad reputation for shaming their families. They want to live the western style of life and are getting influenced. Asian muslim girls, in particular are having a growing reputation of sleeping around, taking drugs and drinking alcohol. Weather be it hijabis or non hijabis this reputation is growing. Pakistani girls especially those with hijabs and act like their true muslims are undercover slags, their reputation is becoming obvious and more transparent.

I don't condone what the parents have done. But I can understand the reasons why they did it.
Original post by ajtiesto
This murder doesn't come as a surprise really. Pakistani and Asian muslim girls in general are slowly having a bad reputation for shaming their families. They want to live the western style of life and are getting influenced. Asian muslim girls, in particular are having a growing reputation of sleeping around, taking drugs and drinking alcohol. Weather be it hijabis or non hijabis this reputation is growing. Pakistani girls especially those with hijabs and act like their true muslims are undercover slags, their reputation is becoming obvious and more transparent.

I don't condone what the parents have done. But I can understand the reasons why they did it.

How can you understand the reasons? To me it is completey incomprehensible how any human being can murder their own daughter and justify it as being more honourable to die than adapt to the culture of the country you live in.
Original post by Ak138
its their culture and we should accept it

:upyours:

what.

The girls can do whatever the heck they want.
Original post by Ak138
its their culture and we should accept it

I'm a liberal and would never condone someone killing their own daughter. :s-smilie:
For The Record, Not All Pakistanis Are Backward And Would Kill Their Own Young. I Personally Feel Disgusted By This Case But I Don't Understand Why It Took Shafilea's Sister To Be In Trouble With The Police To Stimulate Her Accusations. But Yeah It's Their Backward Superstitions and Hunger For What Is Thought To Be "Respectable", Not Their Religion. Islam's Arrival In Pre-Islamic Arabia Is What Virtually Wiped Out Female Infanticide.
Shafelia's sister speaks in court:

http://m.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/may/23/shafilea-ahmed-teenagers-final-moments?cat=uk&type=article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18174893
Original post by ChemicalFreak
I Personally Feel Disgusted By This Case But I Don't Understand Why It Took Shafilea's Sister To Be In Trouble With The Police To Stimulate Her Accusations.

Same here...

This is also what I was wondering... :s-smilie:

Also I want to know...was she charged with the robbery?
There is nothing honourable about murder and the media should stop perpetuating this misnomer.
Reply 32

So what if someone whats to do that? And even I can understand those reasons and tbf, it's all all for the wrong reasons. Way to set an example of "so you do something which shames us a bit, and we will kill you because its the ethical thing to do"...
Original post by Dee Leigh
Same here...

This is also what I was wondering... :s-smilie:

i'm not quite sure, its a hell of a situation :/

How can you complain or be surprised by this, they live and have been brought up in the west, often going to school and college etc with westerners.

However what your saying is true, many pakistani asian muslims are getting on it western style, male and female. Nothing wrong with that, whats wrong is their parents killing their own children for behaving like the majority of the population they chose to bring their children up around. Uneducated morons of the highest order.
Reply 35
Original post by Dee Leigh
Are you talking about the robbery? Or are you talking about the fact that she knew her parents had killed her sister but she said nothing?

And yes, I do believe that the media has not released all information so that the case is not jeopradised.

Erm my post had a number of points so I don't know exactly what you're referring to? I think most of my post was in reference to the robberies though.

Or maybe the media does stuff (as it has done in many cases) to get more people to read their story? :dontknow:

Yeh she's charged and her trial is going to be later I think.
Original post by badcheesecrispy
How can you complain or be surprised by this, they live and have been brought up in the west, often going to school and college etc with westerners.

However what your saying is true, many pakistani asian muslims are getting on it western style, male and female. Nothing wrong with that, whats wrong is their parents killing their own children for behaving like the majority of the population they chose to bring their children up around. Uneducated morons of the highest order.

This :yep:
Tbh, I don't really believe her.

Mr Edis told the jury that Alesha had been arrested in 2010 for being involved in a robbery at her parents' home, in which three masked men tied up her mother, two sisters and brother.

Six days later she alleged to police that her parents killed Shafilea, he said.

Mr Edis said Alesha, who is on witness protection, was awaiting sentence on the robbery charge, and added: "She hasn't received any promises or indeed any inducement prior to when she first made these allegations."

He described her disclosure as a "bombshell" and said it was either the truth or "a wicked lie made up to help herself".

Like, you must have to REALLY HATE (the evil kind of hate) to rob your own parents (this isn't even talking about non-family here, this is family) and to tie them up. Only someone like that would plausibly make up such a lie to see their own parents suffer due to their hate (you know, if I got down your coming with me) and to relieve some of the punishment for their own crimes.

Only God knows what really happened I guess. Potentially, innocents may have got locked up.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending