The Student Room Group

Oxbridge graduates in unemployment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by sohoscribbler
Higher education is a scam and the higher you go the scammier it gets. Universities exist almost exclusively for the benefit of people who work at them.

Elaborate please :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Slumpy
Obviously there are lots. I'm unemployed as of the moment, having graduated this year. Probably mostly a personality thing more than anything else though!

Through choice or university subject/career competition etc? :frown:
Reply 22
Original post by donut1
Through choice or university subject/career competition etc? :frown:

Competition mostly. I quite fancy a job, and I did maths, which isn't too bad.
It depends on the subject...

Maths graduate (assuming 1/2.1) = almost guaranteed job.

History of Art graduate (assuming 1/2.1) = could find it tough.
I was trying to work out the discrepancy between student experiences and the quotes on the Cambridge website saying things like 'employers say they just can't get enough Cambridge grads' (sounded less flip than that when I first read it - just can't find it verbatim at the moment!).

I think the reason is there are lots of vacancies and eager employers - but that the posts are competitive, so it's not a 1:1 exchange (Cam produces grad, company gets a suitable employee). It's a competitive place yep, but that's not necessarily the same kind of showy competitiveness that suits you well in the job market. Hmmm... I'll be thinking about this quite a bit over the next four years I think. I feel like I've got a good idea of what it would take to succeed (ish) soon after graduating, but I'm definitely going to be open to revising those expectations as I go along.

PS to Sagacious - I know an anecdote isn't data, but I knew a maths grad with a 2:1 who had a real arse of a time getting into proper graduate employment, because even though it was a Cambridge degree and he's a bloody stunning thinker, he still didn't quite fit graduate programmes for a good while - kept falling short. He got sorted out in the end though!
Reply 25
I've spoken face to face with a FTSE 250 CEO who said he'd far rather employ a top London uni graduate than an Oxbridge graduate, if it only came down to university.
Reply 26
Original post by Robinjh
I've spoken face to face with a FTSE 250 CEO who said he'd far rather employ a top London uni graduate than an Oxbridge graduate, if it only came down to university.

I'm sure as a scientist that you're aware that a single data point does not maketh an argument.
Reply 27
Original post by Bax-man
I'm sure as a scientist that you're aware that a single data point does not maketh an argument.

All out of +rep sorry! Of course you're totally right, but as a TSR member I'm sure you're aware that we're not just here to present and consider data. It was just an interesting note that I thought would contribute to the discussion. :smile:
Original post by Erich Hartmann
As a few other posters had pointed out, it isn't as odd or as uncommon as you think it is.

The days where coming out with a university degree ensured you were set for life has long been over and now it is also affecting Oxbridge and Russell Group university graduates.

As for why the 2 didn't get pupillage, no single factor can be pinned down as the reason but the one who got a 1st often he came off as being "too academic" and most were of the opinion that he wasn't barrister material for one reason or another. The other person, she had nothing else to offer beyond her law degree, no ECs or even record of even applying for a mini pupillage.

In reality unless you are applying into a big and very reputable investment bank like JPM or GS it is actually very rare that an Oxbridge degree will be of a significant advantage, even if you had a 1st it is quite likely someone with a 2:1 from Durham, UCL etc could easily get offered that job.

These days I no longer do graduate hires, but when I was doing it our dept had a scoring matrix system on who to select for interviews. You will see why many Oxbridge won't really do as well as expected as it is scored according :-

Degree, is it a 2:1? 30% You won't get any extra points for a 1st, it goes down to 20% if it is a 2:2 and 0% if you don't state.

University, what is it's ranking as per The Economist. 1-10 place = 20% 11-25 = 15% 26-50 = 10%

Work experience, any internships or industrial experience? Any overseas work-experience? Are they relevant to the industry? 30% you get full marks if the answer is yes to all 3. This one is done manually. This is also where I will for the first time decide if you deserve the points for your academic record as I will now read what was it you studied.

Any extra curricular activities or any thing that sets you apart from the rest especially one that shows you have leadership or teamwork attributes. Do you have anything extra to offer? 15% This together with your work experience section would determine if I want to even look at what subject your degree is in. If it is relevant to the company objectives then I let them have the full points they had scored, if it isn't then I see how they try to sell themselves in their CL.

The final 10% comes from how well you've written that CV and that Cover Letter is. How's the grammar, does the sentence structures in the CV match that of your CL. Does it appear that your CV was done professionally? Finally if it is a paper resume, is the paper clean and of good quality? 5% You won't believe the number of people who either gained or lost an interview just by this 5% alone.

Usually if someone scores above 65% then they can expect a call from me for the 1st round of interview. Vast majority of those who did well at the interview and eventually get jobs tend to be in the 70-85% range....surprisingly.

Interesting! So which job sector do you do interviews for just outa interest?
Reply 29
Rep for the both of you :biggrin:

And to subscribe.
Reply 30
Original post by Robinjh

Did he mention why? Or was it just a straight 'I don't want people who are too academic' thing?
I know an unemployed Cambridge graduate.
An Oxbridge degree is just another string to one's bow. Just as with all other aspects of life, I find it hard to believe that there is a magic pill for a successful career.
Reply 33
Original post by Cast.Iron
An Oxbridge degree is just another string to one's bow. Just as with all other aspects of life, I find it hard to believe that there is a magic pill for a successful career.

This.

The days of your University securing you a top job are long gone. People who think that solely having an oxbridge degree will allow them to walk into employment are in for a nasty surprise. I know this is probably naive of me, but for science degrees, I don't even think employers differentiate between unis if they're all russell group.
Original post by bramz19
Did he mention why? Or was it just a straight 'I don't want people who are too academic' thing?

My big boss also tends to hold that view, in fact if it is up to him he won't even interview oxbridge grads simply because he has the perception that :-

i) They tend to have bad attitudes. Actually this perception came about previously when they used to favour Oxbridge grads but usually ended up that they came with a certain degree of arrogance stemming from the institutions they attended.

ii) Difficult to train....... they had many who thought they were hotshots and knew more than our big boss.

iii) Poor team players, especially when you put them under a supervisor who is a rank & file or came from a redbrick uni. The air gets to their head that they went to Oxbridge hence they must be better than the supervisor who must be an idiot.

iv) Many had asked for higher salaries but the reality of it is they couldn't perform any better than someone who came from any other Russell Group unis. Hence they never found it necessary to pay the premium.

v) This is what my boss once told an interview candidate, if we wanted to know what your professor or what the author of the textbook said then we would have hired that person directly.... therein is the biggest issue why we stopped favouring Oxbridge grads and put them on the same level playing field as any other Russell Group unis.

Original post by diracdeltafunc
Interesting! So which job sector do you do interviews for just outa interest?

Financial services.
I worked with a Cambridge Grad (history, 2:1) who was previously unemployed for about 9 months after graduation.

He was one of the stupidest people I've ever met. Bare in mind my school was like a holding pen for the Jeremy Kyle Show so I've met my fair share of retards.

But because this kid went to Cambridge he thought he knew what he was talking about which put a lot of people off.

He thought he'd get promoted in no time thanks to his academic credentials but he got a bit of a shock when UEA boy here became his supervisor.

Based on knowing quite a few Oxbridge grads I think one issue with these guys is that they did nothing but studying. Therefore they can quote a textbook but know nothing about the world or about people so they don't know how to behave or how to use a toaster.

It's sometimes like these guys are Rainman or something.
Original post by KimKallstrom
I worked with a Cambridge Grad (history, 2:1) who was previously unemployed for about 9 months after graduation.

He was one of the stupidest people I've ever met. Bare in mind my school was like a holding pen for the Jeremy Kyle Show so I've met my fair share of retards.

But because this kid went to Cambridge he thought he knew what he was talking about which put a lot of people off.

He thought he'd get promoted in no time thanks to his academic credentials but he got a bit of a shock when UEA boy here became his supervisor.

Based on knowing quite a few Oxbridge grads I think one issue with these guys is that they did nothing but studying. Therefore they can quote a textbook but know nothing about the world or about people so they don't know how to behave or how to use a toaster.

It's sometimes like these guys are Rainman or something.

what job sector is this if you don't mind me asking
Original post by TheEssence
what job sector is this if you don't mind me asking

This was back when I worked for a company that put on business events and such.
Let's take a revolution and get all students in jobs!

While that happens get every tuition fee, free!

While we take revolution listen to this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPhU5e95HPg&feature=related

:biggrin:
Original post by Erich Hartmann

Financial services.

IB? IF not then which branch if you dont mind saying please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending