The Student Room Group

Gay Blood Donations Likely to be Lifted

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Deebles
Actually, mine may have been a bit under - seems that chart was only people aged 15-59 (which while it's roughly the relevant age group for blood donation, would miss MSM aged 60+).

The 2.6% was the "number who'd had a same sex partner in the past five years". Which would probably do as a working definition of current MSM, I suppose. What I'm not sure about is how the HPA arrived at their rather larger 2007 prevalence estimate:

"The prevalence of HIV (both diagnosed and undiagnosed infections) among MSM aged 15-44 was estimated to be 8.5% (range 7.0-10.5%) within London, 3.7% (range 3.1-4.5%) elsewhere in England and Wales and 5.3% (range 4.7-6.1%) overall."

Given that at the time there were about 30,000 people with HIV in that age group, they're saying that according to their estimates there were only about 570,000 MSM of that age group (30,000/0.053). Which seems a tad on the low side.

That MSM estimate of 570,000 seems about right if a little high to me. You've got to remember that there are only around 15 million men aged 15-44, and not all of them will be sexually active. 8.5% is still ridiculously high and kind of proves my point don't you think? It seems too high risk and we have nothing to gain from letting them give blood. I'd consider it if there were massive shortages, but that isn't the case.
If you really wanted to give blood you could just lie anyway - unless I'm mistaken, there's no way to 'test' your sexual orientation (besides a practical :laugh:)
Reply 62
Original post by Elipsis

Original post by Elipsis
The promiscuous point is far from stereotypical/anecdotal when over half of the HIV and AIDs patients come from this small group of people is it? In my estimations gay men who haven't whored about at one point or another are in the minority rather than the other way around. Most studies seem to confirm this:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2372/is_n4_v34/ai_20536043/
2.3% of gay men have only had one partner in this study. Other studies estimate that around 20% of gays have slept with 100-300 men. In particularly gay areas like the Shoreditch area of Chicago surveys indicate that over 40% of gay men have had more than 60 sexual partners in their life time. I am not saying this to criticise, because if straight men could get laid this much they definitely would.

Promiscuity isn't the only think which contributes to the risk factor for gay men. Also, promiscuous is a relative term. What are the stats for straight men?

This suggests that gay men are not as promiscuous as is often made out, when compared with straight men. Still more, but not that much more.
Reply 63
Original post by mmmpie
Promiscuity isn't the only think which contributes to the risk factor for gay men. Also, promiscuous is a relative term. What are the stats for straight men?

This suggests that gay men are not as promiscuous as is often made out, when compared with straight men. Still more, but not that much more.

I know it isn't. There is also the obvious things like why would you wear a condom when the major motivating factor for straight men to do so is the fear of pregnancy? Or that the transmission through anal sex is far more likely because there are more blood vessels up there. I am not aware of the stats for straight men. This promiscuity denial seems rather strange to me. Tell me, are there straight bath houses where you can go any time of the night or day to have free anonymous sex? Like I said there would be a queue around the block for such a place if it existed, but it doesn't because straight men have this thing standing in their way of getting laid frequently called 'women'.
Reply 64
Original post by Elipsis
That MSM estimate of 570,000 seems about right if a little high to me. You've got to remember that there are only around 15 million men aged 15-44, and not all of them will be sexually active. 8.5% is still ridiculously high and kind of proves my point don't you think?

The 8.5% statistic was for London; the national one being 5.3%.

It seems too high risk and we have nothing to gain from letting them give blood. I'd consider it if there were massive shortages, but that isn't the case.

On the whole, I'm forced to agree with you, safety wise. Although the change in the rules should be perfectly safe in itself - you really aren't talking about a high-risk group, if you're excluding people who've had sex in the past year.
Original post by Jimbo1234
They should have kept the ban as anal sex greatly increases the risk of contracting HIV and HIV is very hard to screen for.

You are aware that straight people have anal sex too?

HEY, I KNOW, LET'S BAN EVERYONE THAT'S HAD SEX FROM DONATING BLOOD.
Reply 66
Original post by Deebles
The 8.5% statistic was for London; the national one being 5.3%.

On the whole, I'm forced to agree with you, safety wise. Although the change in the rules should be perfectly safe in itself - you really aren't talking about a high-risk group, if you're excluding people who've had sex in the past year.

My main concern is that if it isn't safe this isn't going to be something the gay community will accept having removed from them. Nothing will demonstrate to them that their inclusion in blood donation caused the increase in HIV/AIDs transmission via blood infusion. If even 1 extra person gets HIV because of this then they really are selfish. I get the feeling the gay community has been campaigning for so long they don't know how to stop and smell the roses.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by Elipsis
I know it isn't. There is also the obvious things like why would you wear a condom when the major motivating factor for straight men to do so is the fear of pregnancy? Or that the transmission through anal sex is far more likely because there are more blood vessels up there. I am not aware of the stats for straight men. This promiscuity denial seems rather strange to me. Tell me, are there straight bath houses where you can go any time of the night or day to have free anonymous sex? Like I said there would be a queue around the block for such a place if it existed, but it doesn't because straight men have this thing standing in their way of getting laid frequently called 'women'.

The overwhelming majority of gay men either wear condoms to avoid the risk of STI's, or go through the whole "fluid bonding" thing where they go and get tested together as a precondition for unprotected sex. The anonymous barebacking subculture isn't that big, and is generally fairly isolated by the mainstream. There is a risk of condoms breaking, or of transmission happening through them. There is also a risk of people doing unsafe things that they wouldn't normally do because of drink/drugs, which you find on the gay scene more than many other places.

There was no promiscuity denial. I said that gay men are somewhat more promiscuous. What I'm saying is that it's not so much more as is often assumed.

I have no idea if there are places where straight men can go to get laid. There are certainly enough websites targeting straight people for casual sex though. I also know plenty of women, both straight and gay, who enjoy casual sex.

All I'm saying is that the statistics on sexual partners for gay men do not tell the whole story, especially when considered in isolation. If gay men are on average 20% more promiscuous, but 1000% more likely to be infected with HIV, then that suggests that promiscuity is a relatively minor factor.
Reply 68
might of made sense back in the 80's when we were all ignorant about HIV but considering HIV is being spread around via various ways and sexuality has no correlation to it.

I say. good to know we're not clinging onto past stupidity.
If screening techniques can now eliminate the risk of dangerous blood getting used, this can only be a good thing. You can never have too many donors!
When only 4% of the population who are eligible to donate do so, I think there's a great need to welcome in new donors.

Public policy has to adapt to new research, a blanket ban is no longer a necessary precaution.
Reply 71
Original post by mmmpie
The overwhelming majority of gay men either wear condoms to avoid the risk of STI's, or go through the whole "fluid bonding" thing where they go and get tested together as a precondition for unprotected sex. The anonymous barebacking subculture isn't that big, and is generally fairly isolated by the mainstream. There is a risk of condoms breaking, or of transmission happening through them. There is also a risk of people doing unsafe things that they wouldn't normally do because of drink/drugs, which you find on the gay scene more than many other places.

There was no promiscuity denial. I said that gay men are somewhat more promiscuous. What I'm saying is that it's not so much more as is often assumed.

I have no idea if there are places where straight men can go to get laid. There are certainly enough websites targeting straight people for casual sex though. I also know plenty of women, both straight and gay, who enjoy casual sex.

All I'm saying is that the statistics on sexual partners for gay men do not tell the whole story, especially when considered in isolation. If gay men are on average 20% more promiscuous, but 1000% more likely to be infected with HIV, then that suggests that promiscuity is a relatively minor factor.

Well I think the problem with AIDs in the gay community is that during the 60s and 70s and 80s they were just coming into their own and enjoying being gay. They didn't even really know about AIDs back then so they didn't protect themselves one bit. From there many thousands got infected, and it reached a tipping point whereby the chances of sleeping with a man with HIV or AIDs if you slept with just 10 people in your lifetime became almost 100%. Even if promiscuity was identical between gay people and straight people there would still be the problem that straights were generally protecting themselves all along, whereas gays weren't at all. Plus there is the fact that if for instance 9/10 homosexuals slept with 5 men, in all likelihood one of those 5 men would be the 1/10 homosexuals who has exceeded well over a hundred partners, so he could have infected dozens of men. Whereas the likelihood of a man getting to shag over 100 women in his life time is probably 1 in 1000.
How ridiculous. The ban should stay
Original post by mmmpie

Yes they are more promiscuous, don't deny it
Reply 74
Original post by Ineluctable

You didn't read what I wrote did you?

Fortunately public policy is not dictated by fundamentalist bigots.

Gonna provide any reliable evidence for that?
Original post by HarveyCanis
You are aware that straight people have anal sex too?

HEY, I KNOW, LET'S BAN EVERYONE THAT'S HAD SEX FROM DONATING BLOOD.

Not that many thus HIV has a lesser chance to be in the hetro sexual environment then the gay community.
Original post by mmmpie
You didn't read what I wrote did you?

Fortunately public policy is not dictated by fundamentalist bigots.

IF gay men are more promiscuous and AIDS etc is more common among gay men, why should there be a risk when donating blood? It should stay banned
Reply 78

Not that many thus HIV has a lesser chance to be in the hetro sexual environment then the gay community.

Anal sex does not create HIV. It's just one of the highest risk activities in terms of spreading it.
Original post by HarveyCanis
Gonna provide any reliable evidence for that?

I have on here, but sadly all the threads I have made have been deleted by the mods

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending