The Student Room Group

Gay Blood Donations Likely to be Lifted

Scroll to see replies

I don't get the ban. Surely they test the blood before they shove it into someone else?:s-smilie:
About time too.
Reply 82
Original post by Ineluctable
IF gay men are more promiscuous and AIDS etc is more common among gay men, why should there be a risk when donating blood? It should stay banned

If more new infections occur in straight people than in gay people, why don't we ban straight people from donating blood?

There is a risk with any donor. It's a question of analysing risk versus benefit in order to manage the risk effectively. All evidence suggests that there is an increase in the number of donors with no increase to the risk of HIV being spread through transfusion by doing what has been done, and lifting the blanket ban in favour of a 12 month one. So your point, as ever, is a load of crap.
Gay people are more likely to sleep around, keep the ban.
Reply 84
Thank God this nonsense is finally being done away with.

Original post by BaBaFiCo
There are a lot of 'loose' heterosexual people, of both genders, who pose a higher risk.

Exactly. The fact that AIDS is still viewed as a gay disease is not only unseemly but extremely ignorant.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by dior
Thank God this nonsense is finally being done away with.

Exactly. The fact that AIDS is still viewed as a gay disease is not only unseemly but extremely ignorant.

Y'know when over half the AIDS patients in this country are gay, and anywhere from 1 in 10 to 1 in 20 gays have AIDS, it is perfectly reasonable not to allow their blood to contaminate the supply... I don't see why people have to assume the decision to disallow them to donate was because people were scared of catching teh gay, rather than being a rationally sound medical decision. There are whole categories of people who pose far less risk who are also banned; Such as people who have had a tattoo in the last year, injected yourself with a drug ever, or if you've spent a long period of time abroad. It's just safety.
Reply 86
Original post by Elipsis
Y'know when over half the AIDS patients in this country are gay, and anywhere from 1 in 10 to 1 in 20 gays have AIDS, it is perfectly reasonable not to allow their blood to contaminate the supply... I don't see why people have to assume the decision to disallow them to donate was because people were scared of catching teh gay, rather than being a rationally sound medical decision. There are whole categories of people who pose far less risk who are also banned; Such as people who have had a tattoo in the last year, injected yourself with a drug ever, or if you've spent a long period of time abroad. It's just safety.

Few people are denying the rationale at the time, when AIDS wasn't very widely known about and was a much larger problem in the gay community, and when screening for it was a lot less reliable. I certainly wouldn't suggest that it was a homophobic piece of legislation at the time. However, that was 20-30 years ago, and I think the legislation has become somewhat outdated. Now that there are fewer new cases of HIV in the gay community each year, and now that screening has got much better, there's less of a reason to keep the blanket ban.
Ignoring the troll comments, it is about time they lift the ban. They test the blood, so individuals should be treated separately and not generalized.
Reply 88
Original post by Bezzler
Few people are denying the rationale at the time, when AIDS wasn't very widely known about and was a much larger problem in the gay community, and when screening for it was a lot less reliable. I certainly wouldn't suggest that it was a homophobic piece of legislation at the time. However, that was 20-30 years ago, and I think the legislation has become somewhat outdated. Now that there are fewer new cases of HIV in the gay community each year, and now that screening has got much better, there's less of a reason to keep the blanket ban.

But by denying that small group of people the ability to give blood you are effectively wiping out over half of the AIDs patients possible. Guaranteed there will be a mess up, there always is. And someone will die just because gays took it personally.
Original post by Ineluctable
How ridiculous. The ban should stay

Exactly
Reply 90
Original post by Bezzler

Wrong

Original post by Elipsis

Wrong

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2011/03/23/gay-and-bisexual-hiv-infections-rise-70-in-ten-years/
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2010/07/21/one-in-seven-men-on-london-gay-scene-thought-to-have-hiv/
Original post by mmmpie
Depends on the test, and the window period (which is different for different types of test).

If you do the combined ELISA and Western Blot test procedure, which is what they use for initial diagnosis, accuracy is about 99% with about twice as many false positives as false negatives.

I know this because I got a false positive once. Fortunately for me when they did the follow-up tests they discovered what had happened.

Not sure which test they use for screening blood donations. I know in the US they use the PCR test which is more accurate, but that's quite expensive.

If it is 2%, I would keep away from high risk groups, so keep the ban. If the chances get very slim (like much lower than 2%) after the first 6 months, I'd ban anyone who did anything that might make him high risk in the last 9 months. It may seem unfair to single out gay people, but apparently they are much higher risk than the rest of society.
Reply 92
Original post by visa

Original post by Bezzler

Wrong

Original post by Elipsis

Wrong

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2011/03/23/gay-and-bisexual-hiv-infections-rise-70-in-ten-years/
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2010/07/21/one-in-seven-men-on-london-gay-scene-thought-to-have-hiv/

You could do with being a little more explicit about why and how they're wrong, you know. To my mind, the main things they've got wrong are these:

Bezzler: A lot less gay men die of AIDS each year than in the '80s. But more are catching HIV each year than ever before; it's just that with modern treatment, it's rarely a killer anymore.

Elipsis: Please don't mix up HIV and AIDS. By doing so, you mix up cause and effect - HIV is the virus, AIDS is the condition that the virus eventually causes if untreated.
Reply 93
Original post by AldrousHuxley
If it is 2%, I would keep away from high risk groups, so keep the ban. If the chances get very slim (like much lower than 2%) after the first 6 months, I'd ban anyone who did anything that might make him high risk in the last 9 months. It may seem unfair to single out gay people, but apparently they are much higher risk than the rest of society.

That's pretty much what the one year ban would do - double up on the safe time to allow for faulty recall of dates etc.
Original post by Deebles
That's pretty much what the one year ban would do - double up on the safe time to allow for faulty recall of dates etc.

That sounds fair.
Reply 95
All the idiots on here make me :facepalm:

About time they lifted this silly ban.
I never understood why they thought gay men were more likely to have HIV anyway.

Why would gay men be more likely to have it than straight men and women? Surely the risks are the same if you have unprotected sex? How did the justify why they would just ban gay men and not every one who'd had sex without protection?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by simplybethany
I never understood why they thought gay men were more likely to have HIV anyway.

You're joking, right?
Reply 98
Original post by simplybethany

???????
Original post by Deebles
You're joking, right?

Umm no... why?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending