The Student Room Group

Hardest Subjects

This will probably spark some debate, but which subjects do you think are the hardest/most challenging to do at A Level, and which do you think are the least. In my opinion i think Sciences, Maths, History and English are the hardest.

I think things like drama, music, art are a waste of time because you dont get a job in any of these professions based on your results, well if you do, there arnt many. I also think languages like french and spanish are a skill like this, you either can do them, or you cant

What do you all think, this should be a good debate!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Personally I would find something like German to be very challenging at A-level, although that's just me. Most people would agree that maths/science-based subjects are the hardest A-levels.
Reply 2
Threads like these have been done to death. Not everybody is going to find the same subjects hard, because everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. However, for me personally, I find subjects like Maths very boring, and this will mean I will put less effort into it and therefore not do so well. I like music and arts subjects because I do well in them and this is probably because I enjoy them.
Drama, Music and art are not a waste of time for me. They may be for you, because you don't want a Music or art related career, but to some of us, these A levels are essential to progress to go to university or a conservatory to study Music.
I'm not sure about languages, I guess if I was very interested in the culture I would find it a lot more motivating to try and practice and learn it, but if I wasn't interested in the language at all, I would most likely do very badly.
Reply 3
Maths isnt hard at all as an A-Level, its when you get to Further Maths A Level with FP1,FP2 and FP3 that it starts to become challenging. :biggrin:
English? That's not really demanding, is it? Everyone does english because it's easy...
Reply 5
lozzyjay
English? That's not really demanding, is it? Everyone does english because it's easy...

Did you drop English at A2 because it was too 'easy'? :p:
Reply 6
lozzyjay

if its easy why didn;t you get an A at AS?

--------------

lozzyjay
i actually think its one of the hardest! Its so subjective. All it takes is for the examiner to dislike your style, argument or even structure, and you end up with a lower mark than you would have if someone els ehad marked it.
pianist
Did you drop English at A2 because it was too 'easy'? :p:

According to her sig, she got a C at AS, so obviously it wasn't that 'easy' after all :p:

Anyway, this thread will probably just degenerate into a 'let's all slag off so-called mickey mouse subjects we don't even study' debate, as it always does, and as has already been pointed out, not everyone finds the same subjects easy and hard. Also, no-one studies every single A-level. Personally, out of the 4 I do, I find sociology the easiest, then French, then English lit and history the hardest. I'd also find maths, the sciences and creative/practical subjects like art, music, drama, media studies etc very difficult.
JBacon
Maths isnt hard at all as an A-Level, its when you get to Further Maths A Level with FP1,FP2 and FP3 that it starts to become challenging. :biggrin:

Lol trying to brag about Mathematic skills! You go girl! :rolleyes:
Economics at A2 is def demanding whereas I thought History was just regurgitating information and throwing in a bit of argument in the essay answers. Philosophy was sometimes demanding if it meant learning a theory that was hard to get your head around. But I would still say Maths, the sciences and Economics are the most demanding at A2.
Reply 10
I find religion and philosophy quite challenging. History and philo are very much exam based and require a lot of written work. Whether or not you find something difficult is dependant on the kind of person you are - your strenghts and weaknesses. I wouldn't label any A level subject 'useless'. A levels give you points - to go to uni - to get a job.
Reply 11
I don't do it but I'd find Theatre Studies very hard cos it has the 2 things I'm rubbish at - performing and writing essays!
Reply 12
JBacon
Maths isnt hard at all as an A-Level

I agree with you, but quite a lot of people find maths/science-based subjects to be the hardest.
Reply 13
True. I couldn't get my head around maths A-level. My cousin found it really hard. I think id find science-based subjects easier.
dups45
This will probably spark some debate, but which subjects do you think are the hardest/most challenging to do at A Level, and which do you think are the least. In my opinion i think Sciences, Maths, History and English are the hardest.

I think things like drama, music, art are a waste of time because you dont get a job in any of these professions based on your results, well if you do, there arnt many. I also think languages like french and spanish are a skill like this, you either can do them, or you cant

What do you all think, this should be a good debate!

history is horrible and hard (well for me anyway!) - but english comes easily for me luckily xoxo
Reply 15
I think Chemistry is the hardest A Level subject. I see science and maths as my strength in school, but only managed a C in chemistry AS
Reply 16
I find biology really hard, I'm better at maths and chemistry!
I found history hard as well!

And music is definately not a waste of time and parts of the course are challenging!!!
Reply 17
Yea Biology...& physics I guess!
German is the only subject I've seen get criticised as 'too hard' by the media. I would definitely conur!
Reply 19
I found Chemistry impossible.

Maths I find quite easy, FM is quite difficult though but not overly so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending