The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter AAA/AAB entry requirement query ?

Scroll to see replies

Just got an offer for AAB for straight law I'm only predicted AA (already have one A) so I'm not exactly Oxbridge but my personal statement was pretty good so maybe that makes a huge difference.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
I'm no where near oxbridge material, I struggled to get ABB in my first round of alevels, im on a gap year and resitting one module to get AAB I thought id apply for a long shot and they gave me an AAB offer, it's not impossible to achieve.
They generally give out the lower offers if they really want you or you've got a really strong statement or extenuating circumstances.

The course I applied for was 30-34 IB points and I only got 31 and they gave me an unconditional so yay :smile:
I went to the open day the other day and this question confused me so much.

I want to apply to exeter for Law in September and I'm likely to get AAB. However, as previous posts have mentioned they say AAA to AAB. I don't know what to apply with!! I'm scared if I'm more honest and apply with predicted AAB they will just reject me and then I have no chance at all.

But my teachers are willing to predict me AAA, however I just don't think I'm going to get that, I think I'll get AAB. So If I apply with predicted AAA I will probably not achieve it and then get rejected.

I think it would be better to apply with aab because its more achievable but my teachers/mum say its stupid because exeter have so many applicants just go with aaa and then try call up afterwards if i don't get it.

but reading this post i've seen people have had offers for AAB which is good news to me, however they were a while ago. I went to the law open day and they said they had like 1000 applicants for 200 places. eugh.

someone help me please because I'm so confused at what to do and I need to sort out my application so soon!!!

Exeter is my favorite uni also, that's why I'm freaking out about what to do because it's my perfect uni. (I love the country and west england). So I need to make this application right!!

Any help would be soooooo appreciated.
Reply 24
Original post by millie-rose

I want to apply to exeter for Law in September and I'm likely to get AAB. However, as previous posts have mentioned they say AAA to AAB. I don't know what to apply with!! I'm scared if I'm more honest and apply with predicted AAB they will just reject me and then I have no chance at all.

But my teachers are willing to predict me AAA, however I just don't think I'm going to get that, I think I'll get AAB. So If I apply with predicted AAA I will probably not achieve it and then get rejected.

I think it would be better to apply with aab because its more achievable but my teachers/mum say its stupid because exeter have so many applicants just go with aaa and then try call up afterwards if i don't get it.

but reading this post i've seen people have had offers for AAB which is good news to me, however they were a while ago. I went to the law open day and they said they had like 1000 applicants for 200 places. eugh.

someone help me please because I'm so confused at what to do and I need to sort out my application so soon!!!

Exeter is my favorite uni also, that's why I'm freaking out about what to do because it's my perfect uni. (I love the country and west england). So I need to make this application right!!

The only thing I guess I could suggest is that you ask your teachers for the AAA prediction and work really really hard? Easier said than done, though, I know :smile:
I have an offer for Law starting this September and it's AAA. To be honest I think your chances of getting an AAB offer is quite slim, but then again you might be lucky. Alternatively you could look around for an AAB Uni, you might find one you really like as well :smile:
Sorry I can't give better advice, I know how stressful applying is! Bear in mind you have got a while before you have to send applications off x
Reply 25

Don't know if this will be much help but no-one else had replied sooo...

I applied with predicted A*A*A and got an AAB offer so I'm not sure they pay that much attention to your predicted grades when making the offer as long as you've got the minimum requirement? I guess it depends how good your personal statement is and stuff like that.

And when I was there, a PhD student told me that it depends what school you go to as well, if you're at a "good" school you'll likely get an offer at the higher end, if you're at a "not-so-good" one you'll get the lower, not sure it's entirely based on that but it probably factors in.

Not sure whether you should apply with AAA to give yourself the best shot or AAB to try and get a lower offer, but there are some people on here who applied with AAB and were made an offer on 3 A's anyway :tongue: maybe you should explain the situation to your teachers and see what they say?
Original post by 11flon
Don't know if this will be much help but no-one else had replied sooo...

I applied with predicted A*A*A and got an AAB offer so I'm not sure they pay that much attention to your predicted grades when making the offer as long as you've got the minimum requirement? I guess it depends how good your personal statement is and stuff like that.

And when I was there, a PhD student told me that it depends what school you go to as well, if you're at a "good" school you'll likely get an offer at the higher end, if you're at a "not-so-good" one you'll get the lower, not sure it's entirely based on that but it probably factors in.

Not sure whether you should apply with AAA to give yourself the best shot or AAB to try and get a lower offer, but there are some people on here who applied with AAB and were made an offer on 3 A's anyway :tongue: maybe you should explain the situation to your teachers and see what they say?

thanks for the reply, its quite useful! wow... is exeter your first choice? i cant believe they gave you aab when you have amazing predictions! are you an oxbridge candidate? thanks for your reply. yeah i will ask my teachers. i didnt realise that if you apply wi aab they may say yeah but aaa. i thought it was just yes/no! x
Original post by JodPet
The only thing I guess I could suggest is that you ask your teachers for the AAA prediction and work really really hard? Easier said than done, though, I know :smile:
I have an offer for Law starting this September and it's AAA. To be honest I think your chances of getting an AAB offer is quite slim, but then again you might be lucky. Alternatively you could look around for an AAB Uni, you might find one you really like as well :smile:
Sorry I can't give better advice, I know how stressful applying is! Bear in mind you have got a while before you have to send applications off x

thanks for your reply! ooo well done, im so jealous, i love exeter! did you out them as your first choice? and yeah i think its pretty slim too:/

i looked at other unis, like reading etc is aab for law, but i looove exeter haha. hopefully theyll give me the aaa and ill try as hard as i can for it, then if not i guess reading.

i think im just freaking out because i dont want to regret applying with whatever i apply with x
Reply 28
thanks for the reply, its quite useful! wow... is exeter your first choice? i cant believe they gave you aab when you have amazing predictions! are you an oxbridge candidate? thanks for your reply. yeah i will ask my teachers. i didnt realise that if you apply wi aab they may say yeah but aaa. i thought it was just yes/no! x

Well I applied through Extra (after changing my mind about what course I wanted to do and declining my other offers) so it's my only choice :P haha! I know, but my school's pretty rubbish so I think that might've been part of it. I had an interview at Cambridge for the first course I wanted to do but I'd realised I wasn't interested in the course by the time of the interview so I just went for the experience really :tongue:

Well I think they're meant to use your predicted grades to help them decide what to offer you but at the end of the day it's down to what they want, I guess if they're really convinced by your personal statement and teacher references they might be a bit more lenient with your offer :smile:
Original post by 11flon
Well I applied through Extra (after changing my mind about what course I wanted to do and declining my other offers) so it's my only choice :P haha! I know, but my school's pretty rubbish so I think that might've been part of it. I had an interview at Cambridge for the first course I wanted to do but I'd realised I wasn't interested in the course by the time of the interview so I just went for the experience really :tongue:

Well I think they're meant to use your predicted grades to help them decide what to offer you but at the end of the day it's down to what they want, I guess if they're really convinced by your personal statement and teacher references they might be a bit more lenient with your offer :smile:

Ahh i see! Ive herd if they think people are oxbridge standard (like you,) they give lower offers in hope that youll go there cus they know your a good candidate! Maybe thats why,although i hope not cause id love an aab offer lol!
Original post by nick369
They told me that they only give out AAB offers if you have extenuating circumstances

I got BCCC in my AS Levels, applied to an A*AA course and got an AAB offer, no extenuating circumstances. I've also heard people can miss their grades by a fair amount and still get in :smile:
Reply 31
They offer me AAB for mathematics but I don't think I can get that . What if I get A* in maths and B in physics and chemistry. Will they still accept me?
Reply 32
Its called a contextual offer, and is dependant on the context of your background e.g. any family problems or reasons why you would be disadvantaged compared to the majority of students, such as whether your school is in the 'lower' part of the spectrum of successful colleges. Ive been offered a place for Sociology at Exeter which required 'AAB-ABB' and I got offered ABB despite the fact that I was predicted A*AB, I'm sure it was due to my colleges league table and context status that got me the offer....in other words: crap college = feel sorry for you = lesser grade requirements.
Original post by scales1996
I got BCCC in my AS Levels, applied to an A*AA course and got an AAB offer, no extenuating circumstances. I've also heard people can miss their grades by a fair amount and still get in :smile:

Whether or not you can miss your offer and still get in depends on a few factors.

It primarily depends on the number of people that actually do meet their offers. There is a maximum number of spaces that the University has for each course, and so if that is filled up with people who all made their offers then if you miss yours then there's no chance of you still getting in, however if a lower than expected number meet their offers and there are still spaces then they will accept some people who have missed them.

So it is possible to miss your offer and still get in but it's in no way guaranteed and not really something you want to leave yourself hoping for.
Original post by mackemforever
Whether or not you can miss your offer and still get in depends on a few factors.

It primarily depends on the number of people that actually do meet their offers. There is a maximum number of spaces that the University has for each course, and so if that is filled up with people who all made their offers then if you miss yours then there's no chance of you still getting in, however if a lower than expected number meet their offers and there are still spaces then they will accept some people who have missed them.

So it is possible to miss your offer and still get in but it's in no way guaranteed and not really something you want to leave yourself hoping for.

Thanks for this, yes that is how I assumed it worked :smile: cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending