The Student Room Group

Goldsmiths MMus - bad quality?

Hello,

I'm new to the student room. I'm really trying to find out if Goldsmiths College will deliver a quality MMus (masters course in Music). I have a place. However, I have heard negative things about the college/course and am having doubts about paying out for the course. I knew someone who did the course last year and he told me some classes were very unprepared with PhD students giving the lecture and googling wikipedia for info DURING the lecture; another person I know dropped out of her course (not music) because lecturers were not delivering what it said on the tin. I did a PGCE there some years ago and I found it bordering on the arrogant side of arty and I am not sure if this is an appealing environment to me.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated!
Hiya,

Which pathway would you be on? As you can see, I'm doing the MA Ethnomusicology pathway at Goldsmiths at the moment, just about to start the second year (part-time).

I've only done the compulsory Research Methods course so far (had to pull out of my filmmaking module due to my health) but I found it alright. It wasn't the most amazing teaching but that's because someone had to fill in for my tutor (who was on sabbatical) at quite short notice. Some of those lectures were taken by a PhD student who was being closely monitored by the acting course tutor. She was actually pretty good, albeit quite timid.

I think the thing about a Masters course is that it's up to you to make the most of it and get what you want out of it. It's far more independent than undergrad and you're expected to do a lot of independent work. Things like being taught by PhD students you will find in many departments, not just Goldsmiths; equally lots of Music departments across the country will have questionable teaching, where you just have to make the best of it.

I did my undergraduate degree at Oxford and I was mostly taught by PhD students (some being the best tutors I had and some being thick as ****). I remember one junior tutor looking things up on Wikipedia during a tutorial (he was thick as **** too) and we complained about it. So you really can find stuff like this even within the best departments :yes:

As for the environment: it's definitely arty/student activist but I haven't found it to be arrogant. Then again, I'm not there full-time. I really like Goldsmiths :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending