The Student Room Group

should I stay or should I go?

ahhhh help, I really can't decide.

Ok the thing is I'm from Northern Ireland right and applied for medicine, hadn't heard anything back from any uni's until this morn when I got an interview from KCL.

I don't know whether to do it because basically should I waste the money on the flights when I most probably wont get in anyway (im crap in those type of situations and don't really have decent knowledge in anything medical related) and also, I'm not really that bothered- I applied last minute before the Oct deadline and basically I'm not remotely interested whatsoever in medicine :s-smilie:

I think I've convinced myself in not going to it but then I don't really have anything to do for a year.. no money for a gap year which I would love to do though. So just really any advice from people would be helped..Of what I could do for a year or whether Kings takes that much consideration into interviews...
Reply 1
You've done pretty well to get an interview - King's only interview 35% of people. Last year, they had 3400 applications, and 1190 were invited to interview (the top 35%). From this 1190, 800 people are given offers, so you stand a very good chance. I'd say go to the interview - if you don't, you'll never know whether you would have got in or not. If you do get an offer (and statistics are on your side), you don't have to accept it anyway.

There's lots of information about interviews - ie what to expect, how to prepare - on here and on www.admissionsforum.co.uk. If you read New Scientist, sBMJ (or look at the online versions), that will give you a good idea of recent topics, which are, in my experience, very easy to research on the web.

You say you're 'not remotely interested in medicine' - what else have you applied for, or have you changed your mind since sending your form off? If you're sure it's really not for you, then you obviously can reapply next year (perhaps use your gap year to earn money to help with tuition fees) for other subjects, but presumably you had reasons for applying for medicine though - what were they?
Reply 2
fallentears

Ok the thing is I'm from Northern Ireland right and applied for medicine, hadn't heard anything back from any uni's until this morn when I got an interview from KCL.

I don't know whether to do it because basically should I waste the money on the flights when I most probably wont get in anyway (im crap in those type of situations and don't really have decent knowledge in anything medical related) and also, I'm not really that bothered- I applied last minute before the Oct deadline and basically I'm not remotely interested whatsoever in medicine :s-smilie:

I think I've convinced myself in not going to it but then I don't really have anything to do for a year.. no money for a gap year which I would love to do though. So just really any advice from people would be helped..Of what I could do for a year or whether Kings takes that much consideration into interviews...

well if u r not committed to doing medicine then why bother wasting a place that someone else may so badly want? If u r not "remotely interested whatsoever in medicine" then why apply? Some ppl wud love to study at kings, by not taking it seriously enough, i personally don't think that is fair. If u do decide to go to the interview, ure lack of enthusiam for the subject will easily come across to the interviewers.
Reply 3
well my main reason for choosing it was the opportunity to travel..but recently I've just realised I'm not committed enough to spend 5years 'stuck in books.' I'm lazy- I revise for exams by doing all niters and it seems from other medical students that u just can't feasibly do this and pass..They all seem to work their ass off and I basically don't think I'm interested enough in medicine to be able to do this, let alone anything else really.

And as for reading The New Scientist and all that, I've never read it in my life an this is what im tryin 2 convey, I'm not interested in reading it at all. To me its a chore and this is why im resevered about wasting flight costs. The thing is though, if I was to sit out for a year and apply in 07, I have no idea what I would apply for. But in reading those statistics it's making me think I shouldn't waste this interview.
take the year out, your obviously too confused and dont know what you want...so starting uni now for you would be a bad idea.
Reply 5
You do need to be commited to medicine if you're going to get through medical school, then the long hours and very hard exams when you're a junior doctor. I don't want to put you off at all though! I'm not saying you can't get there.

What do you like, academically? Do you enjoy your subjects? Is there a new subject you might like at university, such as PE or Equine Studies - a very random example, but just to show there is (are? darn English grammar!) a huge variety of degrees?

Don't worry about 'wasting' this interview. If you decide not to go, you'll be taking a chance to reflect on what you want to do.
Reply 6
hmm see I'd love to do something music related or creative wise but the thing that puts me off doing those is the fact that everyone 'naturally' has it and I don't. That's what I enjoy doing anyway but then If I studied that, I'd be really crap compared to everyone else and they probably wouldnt consider me because I'm not musically qualified in any aspect except for my measily grade4 in the clarinet and grade5 theory..no gcses or a-levels or anything. although I do have gcse art.
Reply 7
I'd go to the interview. For one it would give you some experience of such situations, which is usefull as you're bound to be interviewed for something (uni/job) sooner or later. Secondly, if you do get an offer afterwards you can sit it out till the acceptance deadline (can't remember when about that is) which gives you more time to think about what you want to do.

Its too late if you turn the interview down but then decide you actually should have gone.

If you do go however, I would definately do some prep beforehand - going all the way there without any would definately be a waste of money!
Reply 8
I was in the same sort of position as you last year. I think a gap year can be quite good to decide what you want to do and what you are good at. I wanted to do something music related as well but I found that, without the natural talent and ability required to really make it as a professional musician, it wasn't really realistic.

Take a bit of time to think about what you think you are good at or are talented in. There definitely will be something :smile: . Once you've identified just put the work in and make it happen.

Concerning the interview, I think you should go. The experience will be priceless but make sure you give it a fair shot by preparing yourself before hand. Also, while you are down there take the opportunity to talk to people. Getting someone opinion on what you might be good is usually quite helpful.

Good luck
Reply 9
fallentears

Don't go. Not wanting to be rude, but the career could do without people like you! Medicine is tough - not necessarily academically, but certainly emotionally.

If you really are "not remotely interested whatsoever in medicine :s-smilie:", then do yourself and your potential furture collegues and patients the service of not wasting KCLs time.
Reply 10
I agree - don't go, you'll be wasting your time, money and energy and King's as well!
Reply 11
Fluffy
Don't go. Not wanting to be rude, but the career could do without people like you! Medicine is tough - not necessarily academically, but certainly emotionally.

If you really are "not remotely interested whatsoever in medicine :s-smilie:", then do yourself and your potential furture collegues and patients the service of not wasting KCLs time.

:ditto:

Having said that, frankly, if it were me (not that i expect my interest to diminish...ever), I wouldve gone....if I'd gotten in, and wanted to read med...it wouldve been money well spent, if I had gotten in and didnt want to go, or if hadnt been accepted, atleast I wouldnt look back years later thinking whether or not I couldve done it (hence money well spent in either case :p: :biggrin: )...(and I do realise i wouldve been selfish if I did that)
whatever you do decide to do, good luck!

Latest