The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Central Quay

So i got offered a place at Central Quay,which i accepted because thhere was nothing else available.I feel abit isolated though because it's abit far away from the campus,and so far,all I've heard about it is pretty negative tbh.anyone else at Central Quay?if so,what flat?ooh also " Access to the gym, 2Mb in-room internet access, contents insurance and all utility bills are included in the price. " does that mean the gym is free?I'm getting excited for uni!
Reply 1
Right, first of all most of the stuff you see on here about Central Quay are from whiney, mardy little children who are throwing their toys out of their pram because they didn't get their first accommodation choices because they left it too late to apply. I just moved into Central Quay on Saturday (10th) and it is really lovely in my flat; a little cramped in the corridors but you sacrifice corridor space for room space. The reception staff are lovely and helpful, the gym although seemingly shoebox-sized is a bonus, laundry room is of a good standard and there's a Tesco Express 30 seconds down the road. Oh and also Central Quay wasn't one of my options either but I am just thankful I have got some accommodation and don't have to look myself

Contrary to what you have read on here, the flats (or atleast our flat) are clean and tidy. There's a nice little courtyard which gives you access to each individual block, I managed to walk from Block C to the City Centre in 10 minutes and to the train station in 15 minutes. Yeah alright it's the furthest accommodation outside the city and you may need to get a Taxi back home after a night out but that's cheap anyways. The internet is one of the things that winds me up as we have 10MB internet at home so in comparison 2MB is shockingly slow :P Although you can upgrade to 8MB or 16MB in your flat for an extra cost, works out about £13 a month for 10 months of 8MB which is actually really good. :smile:

So all in all it's really nice, just a little further out compared to the other accommodations. Hope I helped :smile: I'm in Block C Flat 73 by the way!
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Thought I would bring this thread up again as looking to live in Central Quay this forthcoming September. Not really a quiet sort of person, so I'm not looking to live there for a "quiet life" so to speak. So a question to you DannyCare, what is the social life like in Central Quay? I know there are some fantastic pubs at Kelham Island where the accommodation is situated, and do any students visit them at all? Gym sounds good too.
Reply 3
The social life is definitely what you make of it. There are noisy, going out groups but I'd say half is quiet half isn't. It depends entirely on who you end up with, everyone's nice though.

The gym is basically free. You pay £10 for a safety induction in which you will then have your flat card reprogrammed to open the gym (All the locks at Central Quay are keycard operated.)

I paid for 16MB Internet in January as it was at a reduced price but I use my computer a lot for web development and design, so I need fast Internet. For general use though 2MB is fine.

It's pretty exciting, my best piece of advice would be to literally mingle with everyone in the first week. Go door knocking, find out who lives where and see if you make any friends. Everyone is in the same situation as you. Also check out the Sheffield and Central Quay Facebook Pages as people put their block and flat number on there.

That reminds me, when you get the introduction letter, the flat number will say something like 'C73B' - This decodes to Block C - Flat 73 - Room B.

Any other questions? :smile:
Reply 4
Danny, i know this was posted ages ago but from what you can remember, what kind of gym equipment is there in the gym?
Original post by ben101222
Danny, i know this was posted ages ago but from what you can remember, what kind of gym equipment is there in the gym?

Hiii Ben!

Great to hear from you - here is a link to the website for the accommodation, hopefully it will fill you in on all their gym equipment. We also have two main university gyms, one on each campus so check out this link. I am a member of the university gym, they do great classes, free personal training sessions and is very cheap! There are also lots of gyms across the city, they are all very student friendly and do discounted rates!

If you have anymore questions, fire away!!!

Maya Rafferty
(Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending