The Student Room Group

Advantages & disadvantages of a Psychology degree?

I have studied Psychology for A Level and I am considering it for a degree.
What are the advantages and disadvantages, positives and negatives, pros and cons of a Psychology degree?

Is it taken seriously? (Not a 'soft' subject?)
What jobs can it get you access to?
What career paths are accessible?
Is it easy to find a job with one?

THANK YOU!! :smile:
Reply 1
Is it taken seriously? (Not a 'soft' subject?) - depends who you're talking to. By universities it's seem as a respectable science degree and so to by employers who are in the know. Some employers and general public see it as soft, but if your taking a BSc (BA at Oxford inc.) which is BPS accredited it's not a soft course
What jobs can it get you access to? It theoretically opens up many doors in terms of graduate entry medicine, businesses, psych careers etc. but unfortunately it's one of the least profitable degrees in that many end up working in the catering industry and fail to get anywhere with it
What career paths are accessible? Same as above, in theory it doesn't cut you off from any career paths
Is it easy to find a job with one? Depends what job. If your looking at going in to clinical psych or a professor, then good luck, you're going to need it! My advice would be if you truly wish to pursue psychology despite it's difficulties then don't let the bad employment rate stop you. Go to a good uni, get a good grade and prove the stats wrong, just be aware of what you're in for. If, on the other hand, you like psych and think it's a good employment route but would prefer to do a different degree then I'd advise you that psych is deffo not for you
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Be prepared for a lot of stick from other students and be prepared for people asking you whether you can read their minds. People may see psychology as a soft subject because of just how popular it is (it's been the 3rd most popular course for at least two years running now) and because in terms of science, it's a relatively new concept.

Psychology is a very broad subject and because you have to study looooaads of different experiments and learn lots of different research techniques, it provides you valuable skills were you to choose a path in life that requires research.

I agree with everything Noodlzzz wrote in her post too.
Reply 3
Is it taken seriously? (Not a 'soft' subject?) Yes, by people who know what Psychology is. That includes relevant employers (ie people in the prison service, mental health services, various businesses, law-related areas and so on.) Basically, it's seen for what it is by the people who matter, but the kids sometimes don't know what it is so think it's soft. It's not so much their fault, rather the media's.

What jobs can it get you access to?Prison service. Health service. Criminological areas. Business. Advertising. Teaching. Academia.

What career paths are accessible?Your career in Psychology, if it is to remain in Psychology, will involve further study at postgraduate level. That is the downfall of Psychology, you are not a psychologist when you graduate.

Is it easy to find a job with one? No, you need postgraduate study (unless you want to go onto something non-Psychology). In some other countries, Psychology is a 6-7 year degree (much like a Medicine set up involving on-hand experience and theoretical academic learning). It is the same here in Britain, only they don't tell you that when you sign up and you just do it as Undergraduate, Masters, then Doctorate/Chartership. <-- you come out as a fully trained, chartered psychologist though, and much more respected at that.

I'm loving it though. =]
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest