The Student Room Group

Hopefully Returning to Uni, need some Urgent Advice

Hi Guys,

I need some advice. I Have had a brief look around the forum but no thread that relates to my situation.

I went to uni in 2005 and was due to graduate in 2008. I ended up re-doing my final year so was due to graduate 2009. I almost completed my degree but had to take leave. Now fast forward to 2011 and now in a place where I am able to return to uni and finally finish my 3rd and final year.

So...
While I attended uni from 05-09 I received Max Student Loans and Max Means tested grant and now I'm at a lost to what financial support is now available to me as a student who has received '4 years' of funding. I need help funding my tuition fees and living costs. Any ideas as to what/if I can apply for more funding

ANY ADVICE WELCOMED
If I remember right, if you've used the length of your course plus 1 year (in your case 4 years), you are entitled to a loan for maintenance but not fees, or vice versa....not both. Not 100% sure, but you won't get it all. Why did you take leave? If it was for a good reason, you may be able to get round the system. Call student finance and talk to them.
Reply 2
Hey...thanks for the advice. Without sounding like an episode of Eastenders my Mum passed away so I kind of went of the rails and I thought I had dealt with it. It has taken until now but I have now 'dealt' with it! Eeek!
Can't believe I have only just begun to think about funding and term starts at the end of the month! Fun Times!
Reply 3
I'm not sure, but like the previous poster said, I would have thought that because you didn't finish your course (and for a good reason) - if the case is that you're picking up where you left off, you'd still be entitled to funding. I'm a med student and so there were people on 2005 fees way after the rest of the uni was on variable fees. I would have thought the original funding arrangement should remain. Maybe speak to the uni's finance department too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending