The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
I reaaaaallllly want a sociable hall, I wants lots of nights out but I just couldn't cope with a shared bathroom :s-smilie:
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Original post by Lauraaa12
I reaaaaallllly want a sociable hall, I wants lots of nights out but I just couldn't cope with a shared bathroom :s-smilie:

This. Especially since I seem to spend ages in the shower and would really annoy the others in the hall. :colondollar:
Reply 442
Original post by mahjongmagic
This. Especially since I seem to spend ages in the shower and would really annoy the others in the hall. :colondollar:

Lol same.. one of the reasons why I want to get an en suite. It's just the price thats putting me off a bit though :frown:. I hope on my visit day I'll be able to look around the accomodation on offer - will give me a better idea on the place! :smile:
Original post by KellyyP
Lol same.. one of the reasons why I want to get an en suite. It's just the price thats putting me off a bit though :frown:. I hope on my visit day I'll be able to look around the accomodation on offer - will give me a better idea on the place! :smile:

That's the one thing putting me off an en-suite, otherwise i'd be straight in there. I need to have a look at the other accommodation as well, only managed to get one tour in on the open day. When are you going as a matter of interest?
Reply 444
Got my offer the other day! ABB for BSC Economics!
anyone else got an offer for Economics? :smile:
Reply 445
Original post by mahjongmagic
That's the one thing putting me off an en-suite, otherwise i'd be straight in there. I need to have a look at the other accommodation as well, only managed to get one tour in on the open day. When are you going as a matter of interest?

I'm going on the 8th Feb :smile:
Original post by KellyyP
I'm going on the 8th Feb :smile:

17th of March :smile:
Hey I posted before but no-one seems to be doing film and theatre. I have my interview on the 8th of feb and I really have no idea what to expect? If I get a place (I really hope I do because it should be my firm) I want to live in Wantage it looked great!
Reply 448
Original post by Randomized
Yeah the JCR room is awesome, sofas are lovely but watch out for the 'hole seat' :tongue: (the one furthest away from the door)

Bathrooms are fine, they're cleaned everyday so they shouldn't be any issue there. I don't think i've ever seen another person in the toilet or the bathroom no matter what time i use it which is very convenient :smile: The one problem i have with them is that the shower heads are quite low down, a lot of the taller guys (and a couple of girls!) have to crouch down to wash our hair etc which gets annoying.

It does sound very nice, and it's within my price range, which is good :smile: And to the guy that's slagging it off: Wessex is far better than the majority of uni halls, and the people were nice. That counts for a lot in my book...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 449
Hi, ive applied and received an offer from reading :smile:
Is there a good nightlife?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 450
Original post by Rosie 27

My boyf goes there and from what i've heard it's pretty good...there's bars and clubs and theres the union too which sounds good :smile:
Not sure what other people think though?

xxx
Original post by Lauraaa12

Shared bathrooms really aren't as bad as you think. I was dreading the thought of having to share a bathroom when i moved to uni but you know what? It's not that big a deal. I have NEVER seen someone else in the shower/toilet when i wanted to use it and they are always kept clean.

I think you need a wash basin in your room, especially as a girl, but thats all. In my opinion en suite = waste of money.

Original post by Rosie 27

It's pretty good, yeah. Can get a bit 'samey' but theres plenty of bars/clubs/pubs, student nights every weeknight, union is fairly good too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 452
Original post by tiana_tiara
Just got an email saying I've got an offer on the biology (c100) course :smile:. Waiting for details on Track now, to see if it's outright or conditional. Very pleased because it's the first of my five I've heard back from! If I get rejected outright by Exeter (currently my first choice) I'll probably choose Reading instead. Thinking of Wessex Hall - I want to go self-catered and I'm not bothered about sharing a bathroom, though I'd like a washbasin. Any other biologists/ potential Wessex residents out there?

Im thinking of applying for wessex and im not doing biology but biomedical science so close enough :tongue: Yeah i want a wash basin but im not really bothered about sharing a bathroom , the new accomodation sounds good but i dont really care what it looks like too much concidering we are only there for a year, plus ive heard good things about wessex :smile:
i got an offer for business economicsss!! :smile:
Reply 454
Original post by Randomized
Yeah the JCR room is awesome, sofas are lovely but watch out for the 'hole seat' :tongue: (the one furthest away from the door)

Bathrooms are fine, they're cleaned everyday so they shouldn't be any issue there. I don't think i've ever seen another person in the toilet or the bathroom no matter what time i use it which is very convenient :smile: The one problem i have with them is that the shower heads are quite low down, a lot of the taller guys (and a couple of girls!) have to crouch down to wash our hair etc which gets annoying.

Why is called the 'hole seat' ? this is really intriguing me hhaha
Original post by BekahDe
Im thinking of applying for wessex and im not doing biology but biomedical science so close enough :tongue: Yeah i want a wash basin but im not really bothered about sharing a bathroom , the new accomodation sounds good but i dont really care what it looks like too much concidering we are only there for a year, plus ive heard good things about wessex :smile:

I'm used to working in a poky bedroom in a terrace house that's freezing in winter because our double-glazing is shot and it's pointless to put the heat on for one person when my Mum's out at work xD. Also sharing a bathroom with an older brother who takes an hour to get ready in the morning, plus your Mum, makes you very good at waking up early to get your shower. I think people do get over obsessed with how their hall 'looks' or with having their own bathroom - you can cope for one year for chrissakes xD. Mostly I'm interested in being able to cook for myself and keeping the cost as low as possible. Wessex seems to fit all those bills plus has a fun reputation.
(We'll see if I'm still saying all this after the visit day in March....)
I did just get an offer from my first choice as well, so now it looks less likely I'll go to Reading. Might be my insurance I guess, if the my offer turns out to be lower than for Exeter.!
Reply 456
Original post by drowners
oh I forgot to say, the fact that you havn't heard anything probably means they did recieve your powerpoint, as I only heard from them as my slide didn't attach the first time to my email, and then when it did send they didn't like comfirm it had sent or anything :/ But how can we be sure if they don't send a comfirmation?

Hey!!
I sent them an email last week asking for a confirmation that they recieved my portfolio, and I got one back yesterday to say they got it and they're now deliberating - they said I should hear about my decision by latest the end of next week! Eeeeek!
Oh, and I got an unconditional offer from Kent a few days ago - it's my third option, but I'm still so happy and relieved!
How did interviews go/did you hear anything from unis?
Hope you're doing well!!
Reply 457
Original post by tiana_tiara
I'm used to working in a poky bedroom in a terrace house that's freezing in winter because our double-glazing is shot and it's pointless to put the heat on for one person when my Mum's out at work xD. Also sharing a bathroom with an older brother who takes an hour to get ready in the morning, plus your Mum, makes you very good at waking up early to get your shower. I think people do get over obsessed with how their hall 'looks' or with having their own bathroom - you can cope for one year for chrissakes xD. Mostly I'm interested in being able to cook for myself and keeping the cost as low as possible. Wessex seems to fit all those bills plus has a fun reputation.
(We'll see if I'm still saying all this after the visit day in March....)
I did just get an offer from my first choice as well, so now it looks less likely I'll go to Reading. Might be my insurance I guess, if the my offer turns out to be lower than for Exeter.!

Yepp i totally agree with you about people putting too much emphasise on how buildings look , Cardiff was my first choice but i got rejected so Reading is second best so ill probs put it as my first choice in half term. I have no insurance though , all my other offers are about the same :L So im screwed if i fail my exams :s-smilie: Im used to working in a small room as well , and in uni go can go study in the libary anycase.
definitely stenton or mackinders. i dont care about a social life i need my own bathroom!
Great to hear Wessex being mentioned so much, you guys will have a great time there! I'm staying there now, so if you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:

I think the only 3 halls i've seen mentioned are Stenton, Mackinder and Wessex, keep in mind that these are the most popular halls and will fill up very quickly when the applications for accomodation open. You can have up to 5 choices so i'd strongly recommend looking at the others to try and find a 'backup choice'.

Original post by BekahDe
Why is called the 'hole seat' ? this is really intriguing me hhaha

It's damaged slightly so if you sit on that part of the sofa, you sink right into it. Some people like it and others don't, see what you think on the open day :tongue:

Original post by MegLily
It does sound very nice, and it's within my price range, which is good :smile: And to the guy that's slagging it off: Wessex is far better than the majority of uni halls, and the people were nice. That counts for a lot in my book...

Indeed, we're a friendly bunch :wink: Wessex will have an awesome JCR next year.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest