The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Original post by Randomized
Great to hear Wessex being mentioned so much, you guys will have a great time there! I'm staying there now, so if you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:

I think the only 3 halls i've seen mentioned are Stenton, Mackinder and Wessex, keep in mind that these are the most popular halls and will fill up very quickly when the applications for accomodation open. You can have up to 5 choices so i'd strongly recommend looking at the others to try and find a 'backup choice'.

It's damaged slightly so if you sit on that part of the sofa, you sink right into it. Some people like it and others don't, see what you think on the open day :tongue:

Indeed, we're a friendly bunch :wink: Wessex will have an awesome JCR next year.

I'm just really worried about the whole sharing a bathroom thing?! How many showers are there? And how many rooms to a flat? I've only ever been to stenton (where my boyfriend is at the moment) and its so lovely in there...i saw windsor on the open day and it was awful...? plus its catered which is a big no haha! wessex seems to have the best rep on here?

:smile: Lots of questions..but you did offer :biggrin:
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Original post by SeanaMay
I'm just really worried about the whole sharing a bathroom thing?! How many showers are there? And how many rooms to a flat? I've only ever been to stenton (where my boyfriend is at the moment) and its so lovely in there...i saw windsor on the open day and it was awful...? plus its catered which is a big no haha! wessex seems to have the best rep on here?

:smile: Lots of questions..but you did offer :biggrin:

It's fine don't worry, i enjoy helping out other people :smile:

Honestly don't be worried. I had exactly the same concern as you when i was applying to uni but now i'm wondering why on earth i was so desperate to have one. My wash basin has been really important and i think you need one, especially as a girl, but you don't need your own bathroom. The money i've saved has been really useful especially now it's time to pay housing deposits for next year! There are 4 showers in each shower room (and a tub, which i don't think anyone uses) so there will always be some free. As i've said before, i don't think i have EVER seen another person in there.

You'll share a kitchen with 7-9 people but the hall isn't divided into flats. Each floor is made up of several corridors so its easy to meet other people, everyone integrates with each other. It's quite useful because you can use each others kitchens for communal meals, predrinking etc. The doors auto lock which minimizes food thefts, but it means you have to be careful with your keys :tongue:

Wessex is definitely where it's at if you want a sociable hall. It's a small hall so you'll at least be on first name terms with most people by the end of the year. You'll have an awesome JCR next year who will organise plenty of fun events. It's not party 24/7 though, obviously it can get noisy but if you want a quiet night in you'll be fine and there's even a mini library downstairs if you want to get some work done. Taxis are cheap into town and the union is 5 minutes away, obviously the facilities don't compare to Stenton but they are perfectly fine and very good value for the price you're paying. The guy slagging it off couldn't be more wrong.

I can't comment much on Stenton i'm afraid but i'm sure your boyfriend can help you there!
Reply 462
It's fine don't worry, i enjoy helping out other people :smile:

Honestly don't be worried. I had exactly the same concern as you when i was applying to uni but now i'm wondering why on earth i was so desperate to have one. My wash basin has been really important and i think you need one, especially as a girl, but you don't need your own bathroom. The money i've saved has been really useful especially now it's time to pay housing deposits for next year! There are 4 showers in each shower room (and a tub, which i don't think anyone uses) so there will always be some free. As i've said before, i don't think i have EVER seen another person in there.

You'll share a kitchen with 7-9 people but the hall isn't divided into flats. Each floor is made up of several corridors so its easy to meet other people, everyone integrates with each other. It's quite useful because you can use each others kitchens for communal meals, predrinking etc. The doors auto lock which minimizes food thefts, but it means you have to be careful with your keys :tongue:

Wessex is definitely where it's at if you want a sociable hall. It's a small hall so you'll at least be on first name terms with most people by the end of the year. You'll have an awesome JCR next year who will organise plenty of fun events. It's not party 24/7 though, obviously it can get noisy but if you want a quiet night in you'll be fine and there's even a mini library downstairs if you want to get some work done. Taxis are cheap into town and the union is 5 minutes away, obviously the facilities don't compare to Stenton but they are perfectly fine and very good value for the price you're paying. The guy slagging it off couldn't be more wrong.

I can't comment much on Stenton i'm afraid but i'm sure your boyfriend can help you there!

Have to say you're pretty good at persuading! Is it all clean and everything though?? and i take it all the floors are mixed??

and...do you know if its open for tours on the post offer visit days?

:biggrin:
You've pretty much sold it to me ahah! Only thing is aren't most of the other halls much more expensive, so it's hard to find backups (though i know off campus is cheaper for nicer halls but i really dont want that)? I like the look of Greenow and Macombie too but their practically the same price as stenton and mackinder and don't look half as new!

thankyouu! :smile:
Original post by SeanaMay
Have to say you're pretty good at persuading! Is it all clean and everything though?? and i take it all the floors are mixed??

and...do you know if its open for tours on the post offer visit days?

:biggrin:
You've pretty much sold it to me ahah! Only thing is aren't most of the other halls much more expensive, so it's hard to find backups (though i know off campus is cheaper for nicer halls but i really dont want that)? I like the look of Greenow and Macombie too but their practically the same price as stenton and mackinder and don't look half as new!

thankyouu! :smile:

Yeah they are mixed, this year there are far more girls than guys. In almost every friendship group/kitchen the majority of people are female. Dunno if that'll happen next year though :tongue: The cleaners are in everyday and because you get fined for a filthy kitchen, people usually keep things in order. You do sometimes get people throwing up in the toilets etc but this is very rare and gets dealt with/removed very quickly. The guys shower rooms are always clean and i assume the girls ones are too, because nobody i know has complained.

I'm not sure tbh as i didn't go to any open days. I know they will give you a tour of some halls but i have no idea which ones. Although other people have said that they looked around Wessex on the last open day, so perhaps they will.

Noooo don't think of it like that! The only halls i'd class as 'off campus' are Bulmershe and Sibly which are both closing down this year. It's not a long walk at all to get to the centre of campus from Wantage/St Pats/Sherfield/Kendrick etc, they're just down the road from where Mackinder is. Plus you can walk into the city centre from there :smile: I agree with you though, it's a joke how expensive all the halls are becoming. I imagine Wessex will be knocked down in a couple of years and replaced with another £6000 one :rolleyes:
Anyone considering applying for the Stenton Townhouses? :smile:
Original post by SophieW1234

Ive got my admissions day quite soon so I thought I would have a look at them !
Reply 466
Original post by SophieW1234

Oohh i am! Seems to be either there or Wessex..obvioulsly there's a massive price difference, but theyre cheaper than stenton/mackinder/childs! They seem like theyre gonna be lovely too! And i have no problem with sharing a bathroom with four people!
What have you applied for??

:smile:

Yeah they are mixed, this year there are far more girls than guys. In almost every friendship group/kitchen the majority of people are female. Dunno if that'll happen next year though :tongue: The cleaners are in everyday and because you get fined for a filthy kitchen, people usually keep things in order. You do sometimes get people throwing up in the toilets etc but this is very rare and gets dealt with/removed very quickly. The guys shower rooms are always clean and i assume the girls ones are too, because nobody i know has complained.

I'm not sure tbh as i didn't go to any open days. I know they will give you a tour of some halls but i have no idea which ones. Although other people have said that they looked around Wessex on the last open day, so perhaps they will.

Noooo don't think of it like that! The only halls i'd class as 'off campus' are Bulmershe and Sibly which are both closing down this year. It's not a long walk at all to get to the centre of campus from Wantage/St Pats/Sherfield/Kendrick etc, they're just down the road from where Mackinder is. Plus you can walk into the city centre from there :smile: I agree with you though, it's a joke how expensive all the halls are becoming. I imagine Wessex will be knocked down in a couple of years and replaced with another £6000 one :rolleyes:

Hoping i will get a look round :biggrin: You make it sound really good! I'm excited now! Heheh...glad theyre mixed! Yeah! I'm really surprised! There seems to be no leniency on the prices...its one extreme or the other, apart from the townhouses now!

Thankyou so much! :smile:
Reply 467
Original post by SillyMilly
Ive got my admissions day quite soon so I thought I would have a look at them !

I don't think theyre built yet =/
Reply 468
I'll just apply to wherever anyone recommends. I'm an old git at 23 but up for a good laugh:biggrin:
Reply 469
Original post by S'mores
Hey!!
I sent them an email last week asking for a confirmation that they recieved my portfolio, and I got one back yesterday to say they got it and they're now deliberating - they said I should hear about my decision by latest the end of next week! Eeeeek!
Oh, and I got an unconditional offer from Kent a few days ago - it's my third option, but I'm still so happy and relieved!
How did interviews go/did you hear anything from unis?
Hope you're doing well!!

Ah great! I hope its the same for me then :smile: Well Done, unconditional amazing!!Does that mean you already have the qualifications needed?
Its always nice to know you're wanted, even if you don't want to go there X)

So far ive got an offer from leeds for art and design, Plymouth for fine art (i really enjoyed the interview :smile:) and i need to sort a date for my lancaster interview, and gloucestershire want an eportfolio.
But I most want to hear from Reading! it's joint first with plymouth now :/
let me know if you hear anything else! x
Reply 470
Is anyone applying for animal science? I accepted Reading as my firm :smile:
Reply 471
Original post by Cyclo
I'll just apply to wherever anyone recommends. I'm an old git at 23 but up for a good laugh:biggrin:

If you're an old git, I'd say I'm 'getting on a bit', I'll be 21 when I start. Good to know there's at least one other fresher older than 18!
Reply 472
Hi everyone, i'm waiting for the outcome of my application. I already have a degree so i'm not waiting for any results. I was wondering if anyone is applying for speech and language therapy?
xx
Reply 473
Original post by Cyclo

I'm going to be 22... your not the only one :smile: i'm sure we will show them how to party!

xx
Reply 474
Original post by Beccat04
Hi everyone, i'm waiting for the outcome of my application. I already have a degree so i'm not waiting for any results. I was wondering if anyone is applying for speech and language therapy?
xx

Hey, I am waiting too! I have applied to Reading and they said they would get back to us by the 25th, which is Wednesday ahhh!

Are you applying for postgraduate or undergraduate? I am not sure whether you are aware but we have a forum for both undergrads and postgrads so take a look.

We are all very anxious about it, it's taking sooo longggg! xx
Reply 475
Ive applied to Reading to study joint honours in Archaeology and Ancient History. Got invited to an interview and I got all the way there to be told that they had a good read over my application and personal statement and that they didnt feel the need to ask me any questions.. I got a letter a week or so after that saying Id been offered a place BBB :smile: Im about to make it my firm choice in a few weeks or so, is anyone else to be doing this course?
Reply 476
Original post by naomiele
Hey, I am waiting too! I have applied to Reading and they said they would get back to us by the 25th, which is Wednesday ahhh!

Are you applying for postgraduate or undergraduate? I am not sure whether you are aware but we have a forum for both undergrads and postgrads so take a look.

We are all very anxious about it, it's taking sooo longggg! xx

I'm applying for undergraduate, strange I know as I already have a degree but it interests me loads!! Have you been to any open days? Is it your first choice?

xx
Reply 477
Original post by Beccat04
I'm applying for undergraduate, strange I know as I already have a degree but it interests me loads!! Have you been to any open days? Is it your first choice?

xx

Haha, no lots of people are applying to undergraduate with a degree, so don't worry!

I don't really have a first choice as it is so competitive I don't want to really love a university then get rejected :colondollar: But I really loved Reading at the open day, the campus and the facilites are fantastic there.

How did you find the questionnaire at Reading? Where else have you applied?

xxx
Reply 478
I thought it was ok, just hope I wrote enough and well enough to not sound like a total moron!! How about you? How small were those stupid boxes!! I've applied to City too and been offered an unconditional place, how about you?

xx
D'oh... Hillside Court has been sold? It looked perfect with it's 51 week tenancy for only about £4,200... Now I need to save up at least another grand to afford St George's etc... Bum!

Latest