Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

University of Reading 2012 Applicants

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhooPeaches)
    I live in Manchester now and go out in the centre most weekends and I have to say I can't see Reading having as wider range of places of Manchester. Manchester has a massive array of places for everyone and I love the centre (especially at Christmas). There's the Factory (a personal fave of mine), Tiger Tiger, Birdcage is AMAZING Vodka Revs, Bar Baa, Buddha and about 1000 other clubs, pubs and bars. I've been out in a lot of places and Manchester is awesome. I went out in Reading when I stayed there overnight before my interview and it was also really good I had an amazing night. There aren't as many clubs in Reading and it's not as big but I really really liked it (as well as the uni and the course being perfect for me). There does seem to be a lot going on and there were loads of students around. I'm sorry I can't be more help about specific places in Reading but coming from Manchester I am still really looking forward to going out in Reading and all the mainstream shopping is just as good as Manchester!!
    You've summed it up rather well

I used to live in Manchester too, it is amazing at christmas isn't it? :love: In terms of nightlife it is miles better than Reading, but in my opinion Manchester has the best nightlife in the UK so that doesn't mean that Reading is crap! Its a decent sized student city with lots going on, there are plenty of student nights and the union on Saturday is always a quality night out. Its pretty good for shopping too and if theres anything you can't find here London is right on your doorstep.

(Original post by 5452182)
    Also for the second year do people tend to live together in houses with the people they lived with in the halls.
    Most people do, yeah. I don't know anyone who has formed good friendships with people they only know from their course!

There will always be people looking for an extra housemate or two so if you're a nice person, don't worry
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Randomized)
    As far as Reading halls go, thats cheap :pierre:

The halls are really, really expensive here.
    Compared to other unis I've looked at, Reading is one the most expensive for accommodation! Over £130 for a decent room with an en-suite is insane. other than mackinder and stenton, there doesn't seem to be a good option for an en-suite room, self-catered in a sociable, well-located hall. Considering st. patricks simply for the apparent good social life.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going to the applicants day on Saturday the 25th February ?
    I am going for Economics, not really up for half 7 train journey in morning to get there on time
    anyone know if the university is easy to get to from the train station?
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NGlynn94)
    Anyone going to the applicants day on Saturday the 25th February ?
    I am going for Economics, not really up for half 7 train journey in morning to get there on time
    anyone know if the university is easy to get to from the train station?
    Your best bet would to go there by bus. As soon as you come out of Reading train station there's a bus stop on the road to the left, go there and wait for a red or 'claret' bus (all buses in Reading are colour coded). The buses are really regular, usually every seven minutes or so, so you shouldn't be waiting very long. When you get on it either pay £1.80 for a single or £3.40 for a return, you have to put your money into an automated change machine thing, so I advise you pay the exact amount, as no change is given. Sit on there for a while (maybe 10 minutes or so) and you'll be notified when you reach the University :grin:

You could walk, I have before, but it'll take you a good half hour, and that's if you know your way around.

Hope I helped.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam_G)
    Your best bet would to go there by bus. As soon as you come out of Reading train station there's a bus stop on the road to the left, go there and wait for a red or 'claret' bus (all buses in Reading are colour coded). The buses are really regular, usually every seven minutes or so, so you shouldn't be waiting very long. When you get on it either pay £1.80 for a single or £3.40 for a return, you have to put your money into an automated change machine thing, so I advise you pay the exact amount, as no change is given. Sit on there for a while (maybe 10 minutes or so) and you'll be notified when you reach the University :grin:

You could walk, I have before, but it'll take you a good half hour, and that's if you know your way around.

Hope I helped.
    thanks! I have got a say saver with my train tickets so I should be fine with the change situation
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S'mores)
    Wooahh, that offer is pretty much unconditional, hahaha! They must have loved your portfolio!
    Tbh, I'm not worrying that much about facilities - Reading (according to the Guardian) is 6th for Art and Design in the UK, and it's course sounds perfect, especially for an A level student who doesn't want to go down the foundation year route! Oh, and it also got the most beautiful campus award a while ago too, which is always a bonus! Andddd its a campus uni in a town, which is great for a 'community' feel, but, its close to London, so it's easy to get to a big city fast for internships, exhibitions and for having fun

I must sound like an advertising company or something, hehe, but those are the reasons why I'm sooooo keen on Reading!
    ..... oh, and Plymouths cool too.
    I think you can tell which uni I would choose!
    I hope I get an offer soon too, I'll tell you when I hear from them!
    hey! i've got my offer from reading, and its pretty much unconditional too! think i'm gonna go for art there, it just sounds so much better than anywhere else! cantttttt wait, also i live in reading and its brilliant so any questions about the town and whatnot feel free
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rouseface)
    hey! i've got my offer from reading, and its pretty much unconditional too! think i'm gonna go for art there, it just sounds so much better than anywhere else! cantttttt wait, also i live in reading and its brilliant so any questions about the town and whatnot feel free
    Hi! Wow, congrats on your offer, that's fantastic news!
    Have you applied for a joint degree or the Art BA?
    I'm so nervous, I haven't had an offer yet, and it's killing me!
    I applied to the Art and History of Art BA - I want it so bad!
    When did you hear about your offer?
    Maybe me, you and Drowners will end up at Reading together doing art!
    Finger-crossed I'll hear something soon!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NGlynn94)
    anyone going to the open day on 25th Feb ?
    I am!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rouseface)
    yay another art person I think I also have decided that i want to go to reading.. see you there since you live there, are you going to stay in halls?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What A-levels are you law offer holders studying?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    anyone know the date we apply for accomodation?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WIC)
    What A-levels are you law offer holders studying?

I'm doing Geography, history and french; holding an offer for LLB Law with legal studies in Europe
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L - Jilla94)
    I'm doing Geography, history and french; holding an offer for LLB Law with legal studies in Europe
    Thanks a lot.

You don't happen to know where Reading stand on strength of A-level subjects to study (law) there?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    no idea really tbh, i doubt there are any real issues surrounding subjects as it tends to only be the top 10 or so uni's which are picky regarding the strength of subjects (apart from general studies, critical thinking etc), might be worth dropping the admissions tutor an email what subjects are you studying out of interest?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L - Jilla94)
    no idea really tbh, i doubt there are any real issues surrounding subjects as it tends to only be the top 10 or so uni's which are picky regarding the strength of subjects (apart from general studies, critical thinking etc), might be worth dropping the admissions tutor an email what subjects are you studying out of interest?
    they only consider which subjects you have studied if you fail to get the minimum grades/points for your offer. They'll rank everyone who didn't get the grades in order of how far they missed it by and then by how well they did in subjects relevant to the uni course maybe then they'll look at your personal statement once more too, that's what I gathered from the mathematics open day anyway so I'm just guessing thats what the do across all of the departments there...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanaMay)
    anyone know the date we apply for accomodation?
    It's the 9th of May if you have a conditional offer.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I've just gotten a place on the Philosophy and Psychology course, I absolutely loved Reading, seemed so friendly but also had a good work ethic.

My condition is confusing me though - it says the condition is "subject to you obtaining - provide copies of your official AS and A-Level results".

Has anyone got an idea what that means?
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by opiumette)
    Hello!

I've just gotten a place on the Philosophy and Psychology course, I absolutely loved Reading, seemed so friendly but also had a good work ethic.

My condition is confusing me though - it says the condition is "subject to you obtaining - provide copies of your official AS and A-Level results".

Has anyone got an idea what that means?
    Have you already sat your A level exams and received your grades? If so, this offer is basically an unconditional and they just need to see proof of these grades.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm sitting two A-levels this year. I do already have an A level, and three AS' though. And my interview seemed to go well. I rang admissions but I'm yet to hear anything back.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's probably going to be my second choice! Anyway, I am still making my final decision! I applied for Management who's going to the visit day on wednesday the 7th?
Updated: August 24, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.