The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance with these grades/subjects?

Hello,

I'm currently a 2nd year student in College, I Study A2 Business Studies, A2 ICT and AS Media Studies. I have also studied AS Maths and obtained a grade B and also have studied AS Statistics and received a grade B in that too but I have dropped these two subjects. Currently I study 2 A2 subjects and 1 AS. I want to study Computer Science but I am a little worried about rumours going on that no matter what grades and how high my UCAS points are, I will not be accepted into a decent university with 2 complete A levels and 3 AS levels

I plan to get a grade B in A Level ICT = 100 UCAS Points
I plan to get a grade B in A Level Business Studies = 100 UCAS points
I have got a grade B in both AS Maths and AS Statistics = 100 UCAS points combined
I plan to get a Grade B/A in AS Media Studies = 50/60 UCAS Points

= 350/360 UCAS points.

Do I have a chance to study Computer Science/Computing with 2 A Levels & 3 AS's? If not could I receive some feedback/help on what I could do? I really don't want to look into a 3rd year in college.

Universities I'm interested in:
Sussex
Leicester
UCL
King's College
Kent
Queen Mary

Please no horrible responses, I'm stressed out a lot already...

Many thanks.
Reply 1
You don't have A2 Maths, which will certainly stop UCL from considering you, and a lot of other of the top, top universities.
That is not to say you cannot get into a good university without A2 Mathematics, but it will close doors to be honest. You do have AS though, at least, and at a decent grade, so for universities which do not require Maths, I would anticipate you have perfectly good odds.

Look at the websites for all the universities you are considering. They will specify if they require any A-levels (you need to be looking out for any Maths requirements), etc.
I recommend you e-mail the departments if you find anything any of the universities say ambiguous. They will always be happy to help.
Reply 2
Thank you for your answer. Another quick question: Would a retake in AS Maths to get an A increase chances of me going into decent uni's or is a B grade fine? As it is only an AS Level. Would a Grade A differ from Grade B? If yes, how much? Is it worth it?
Reply 3
You should have a decent chance with Sussex, Leicester, Kent and Queen Mary's! From past experience (both first and second hand) UCL can be very tough to get an offer from, and even tougher to achieve (Obviously this depends upon your specified course - i was given A*AA for History, whilst my friend was asked for ABB for Classics). You should also be wary of KCL, they too are notoriously stern in their entry requirements (most of which are exceedingly high). Good luck though!
Reply 4
You're only doing 2 full A-levels which prevents you getting in most unis in the first place. You have a good grade in Maths, why not take it to A2? The fact you're doing a 3rd A2 will open up the majority of universities, and since it'll be Maths the top top unis will look at you as well.
Reply 5
I think you should re-consider your decision to drop maths. Not having maths A level will really limit your uni choices especially of the more competitive unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending