The Student Room Group

Smug Staffs Uni

A friend of mine was rather smug at studying Law at Staffordshire University.

I was wondering, given its reputation, what kind of prospects does it present to it's graduates? Does she have something to be smug at?
Reply 1
Ideally, her performance and qualities will matter more than where she studied. If she wants to work around staffordshire, or in a high street practice, she should be fine.

However, larger practices tend to be a bit less open minded with regards their recruitment. If she wants to work for a national or City firm, she may find it difficult to get past the HR filter of many firms unless she has excellent Uni grades, perfect A-Levels and good extracurricular activities.

In terms of snob value though (which is the criterion by which smugness must be judged), she's being a bit ridiculous. Entry requirements are lax, research is not highly rated, and it languishes in the bottom half of most rankings. Not that I think that makes it less challenging or useful or academically rigorous (with most law courses it really doesn't matter where you study outside of the top 8, to be honest), but it doesn't put you in a position to reasonably be smug about it...
Reply 2
Depends what her starting point is, two thirds of Staffordshire students come from families where no one else has ever been to university, thus high chance from her perspective it is something to be pleased about.

As previous poster has said unless at the top end (and bottom end) most employers are not that bothered about where you studied, it is how you end up. As Law courses are regulated in UK for the majority here are much of a muchness.
Reply 3
Original post by Cyborgasm
Depends what her starting point is, two thirds of Staffordshire students come from families where no one else has ever been to university, thus high chance from her perspective it is something to be pleased about.

As previous poster has said unless at the top end (and bottom end) most employers are not that bothered about where you studied, it is how you end up. As Law courses are regulated in UK for the majority here are much of a muchness.

She wanted to emigrate to America too. I was under the impression that American universities of an adequate caliber require a decent degree from a decent university? Not saying Staffordshire is horrible but it has dropped further in rankings.
Why would you make a thread bitching about your friend? :s-smilie:
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo

Exactly what I was thinking. So what if she's a little bit smug? She probably is just extremely happy, maybe you should just be happy for her too.
Reply 6
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo

This isn't a thread bitching about my friend. I suppose she isn't really what I would call a friend - rather a girl I used to. She was awfully condescending and negative towards my legal pursuits. I don't bitch about people, I merely wanted to know just how founded her claims were.

Quick Reply

Latest