The Student Room Group

Teaching Assistant interview activity ideas!!!

I have an interview for a teaching assistant job in two weeks. Part of the interview is that I have to do a 5 minute activity with four 5-7 year olds. There is no particular topic given so I'm a little nervous about what to do. I have thought about maybe reading the hungry caterpillar and then getting the children to put the foods into "unhealthy" and "healthy" using some laminated food pictures. Any suggestions would be really appreciated as the more ideas the better!
Reply 1
Basing it around a story is good. The Hungry Caterpillar is good, you won't have time to read it and do food sorting though in five minutes.

Hmm.

I would be tempted to sing a song with actions, something simple that they know that involves counting. Mine like 5 little speckled frogs, easy and simple. Maybe say we are going to do some counting together before singing so you have set a very basic LO.

Or read a story and teach the kids some basic signifiers for it, so read the Caterpillar story and when you say Caterpillar they have to do a wiggly hand and when you say eat they have to munch something, then they can be beautiful butterflies at the end.

Going on a Bear Hunt is a nice story as well, can easily do actions with that.

I would do a very simple plan with a LO, beginning, middle and end.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by mmaize
Basing it around a story is good. The Hungry Caterpillar is good, you won't have time to read it and do food sorting though in five minutes.

Hmm.

I would be tempted to sing a song with actions, something simple that they know that involves counting. Mine like 5 little speckled frogs, easy and simple. Maybe say we are going to do some counting together before singing so you have set a very basic LO.

Or read a story and teach the kids some basic signifiers for it, so read the Caterpillar story and when you say Caterpillar they have to do a wiggly hand and when you say eat they have to munch something, then they can be beautiful butterflies at the end.

Going on a Bear Hunt is a nice story as well, can easily do actions with that.

I would do a very simple plan with a LO, beginning, middle and end.

Good luck!

Thank you, I especially like the signifiers idea :smile:
Reply 3
yeah i would try some of those ideas. let us know how you get on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending