The Student Room Group

Variable speed limit cameras

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If you where doing more than 90 say goodbye to driving for 6 months.
Reply 21
Firstly, I'm not advocating speeding. If the OP was driving in a dangerous manner or using speed which was excessive given the driving conditions, he rightly deserves to be punished. That being said, the hypocrisy that I see displayed on these forums is just too much sometimes.

I would be willing to bet that those who have slagged off the OP in this thread have exceeded the NSL in their lives (that's if they actually drive). As has been successfully demonstrated in other countries (Germany, for example), it is not only the speed which kills, but the road conditions and attitude/ability of the driver.

The attitude "you broke the law, you deal with the consequences" also annoys me. I often see someone acting morally superior in a thread like this and then the same people completely disregard the law in another and justify their actions by saying - "everyone does it, my actions are not harming anyone".

A reasoned debate, in this case, would be to discuss whether the current laws are still appropriate or whether changes should be made - i.e. Would it be better to increase the NSL on certain roads at certain times of day? - rather than just slagging the OP for doing something that thousands of people do each day without incident.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Mad Vlad
True, but when the speed constitutes dangerous driving, then that's a different matter. But that's irrelevant to this example - it'd only be considered dangerous driving above 96mph.

No numerical speed would automatically be considered dangerous. The standard of driving itself has to fall to significantly below that of an average motorist, and it has to be obvious to a reasonable person that driving in such a manner would be very dangerous, or words to that effect. Above about 130-140mph on the motorway it might be classed as DD, but not necessarily - trained drivers can do this perfectly safely. Obviously it could be dangerous at very much lower speeds in different circumstances. True though that much higher penalties are imposed for DD - always a disqualification and potentially prison.

Original post by Runninground
Remember that speedos are set a little above your actual speed.

Very true, mine currently over-reads by about 5%, but I've known them to be more than 10% out. So the OP would most likely have actually been travelling between 75 and 85 mph, unless he's already made the correction before telling us the speed.
Reply 23
I agree with all of the 'sensible speeders' in this thread, and completely disagree with the idiot who must drive whilst watching his speedo constantly rather than watching the road (much like we are forced to do on the long stretches of 50mph average speed limits through roadworks - i.e. the A1(M) in Yorkshire which has been being widened for about 5 years now and meant to be going on until 2018...yay).

Anyway to the original topic - no, the only time that those cameras are turned on is when there is a speed limit shown with a red circle around it which indicates that it's a mandatory speed limit. Note that if it's just a speed limit without a red circle but just the amber flashing lights that it's an advisory speed limit and therefore the cameras are not turned on in this instance either.

For a speed limit to be enforced, it must have a red circle around it.

Though if the advisory is 40mph and you go flying through at 70mph a police officer could probably still stop you for dangerous driving or something like that.

I used to work in transport planning, but not anymore, so if any of this is incorrect then happy for others to correct me since I'm out of the loop now :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by kidoo
If you where doing more than 90 say goodbye to driving for 6 months.

No. I don't know why you think this, it clearly isn't based on any knowledge of the subject in question.

Quick Reply

Latest