The Student Room Group

Best Scottish University?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GingerGoat
I'm not denying that some parts of Glasgow are rough, just not the parts most students would encounter near the universities. Every time I see the bus to Easterhouse I think it's like the modern incarnation of Hades' boat across the River Styx :lol:
I live in Partick at the moment, somewhere with not the greatest reputation, and tbh I feel pretty safe.

Still I love Glasgow, such a great atmosphere :smile:

I get the bus to Easterhouse, but get off well before there! (Dennistoun)
Original post by alexs2602
That's disgraceful quite frankly.

And that's subjective. I don't believe that any Scottish uni makes an appearance in the maths top 10, for example. So someone who's v intelligent but perhaps not Oxbridge intelligent will miss out on the likes of Warwick, Imp, Bristol, Bath, UCL, Durham etc because of stubbornness?

You should see Northern Ireland then.
If people don't want to go across the Irish sea, they have a choice of two unis.
I know a guy with A*A*A*A* and gave up an offer at Imperial to go to QUB
:facepalm:
Original post by Popppppy
I get the bus to Easterhouse, but get off well before there! (Dennistoun)

Dennistoun? Lucky, that's easily walkable to uni. Partick on the other hand is not. Thankfully the Subway is cheap :smile: And Partick is easily walkable to Byres Road, so many good pubs :biggrin:
Reply 43
the best one? totes UWS :wink:
Reply 44

And that's subjective. I don't believe that any Scottish uni makes an appearance in the maths top 10, for example. So someone who's v intelligent but perhaps not Oxbridge intelligent will miss out on the likes of Warwick, Imp, Bristol, Bath, UCL, Durham etc because of stubbornness?

I believe I am a scottish counterexample, I applied to Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial, Durham and Edinburgh for maths last year. To be honest I only applied to Edinburgh as I knew I would get an unconditional and that would take some pressure off. :smile:
Original post by dbou
I believe I am a scottish counterexample, I applied to Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial, Durham and Edinburgh for maths last year. To be honest I only applied to Edinburgh as I knew I would get an unconditional and that would take some pressure off. :smile:

lol, well done for getting into Cambridge. I'm extremely jealous, good luck! I'm doing maths at Nottingham soon, very grateful I managed it but it's no Cambridge. :tongue:
Reply 46
Excuse me? I can understand £27k being hard to justify but £10k~ is well worth paying for a top 20 easily, I'd even go as far as top 30 or 40. £10k was a bargain and still is for current undergrads.

It is stubborn for last year's fees. For this year's I can't really answer.

Edinburgh, Glasgow and St Andrew's are as good as all but a few unis and Aberdeen pretty good too.

Last time I checked paying £10,000 for something you could get for free isn't a bargain.

If you're stubborn reason isn't the base for your argument. Claiming a free education as opposed to a paid one is reasonable as there are very few significantly better courses in England, unless you're going to Oxbridge or maybe LSE, UCL
does anyone know if st andrews does transffers?
Original post by maxcartwright
does anyone know if st andrews does transffers?

Best to contact the department you're interested in.
Original post by Ruducus
Edinburgh, Glasgow and St Andrew's are as good as all but a few unis and Aberdeen pretty good too.

Last time I checked paying £10,000 for something you could get for free isn't a bargain.

If you're stubborn reason isn't the base for your argument. Claiming a free education as opposed to a paid one is reasonable as there are very few significantly better courses in England, unless you're going to Oxbridge or maybe LSE, UCL

not sure how good aberdeen uni is, theyre entry requirements are pretty low. tho thats prob coz of the location of aberdeen tho and not the uni.

anyway, it depends on what your studying. for example, dundee is supposed to be awesome for denistry and medicine. strathclyde for business. heriot watt for actuarial / economics. abertay for computer games. glasgow for law (i think) and so on....

it depends on what you study i think.
Reply 50
Original post by silkybhoy67
not sure how good aberdeen uni is, theyre entry requirements are pretty low. tho thats prob coz of the location of aberdeen tho and not the uni.

anyway, it depends on what your studying. for example, dundee is supposed to be awesome for denistry and medicine. strathclyde for business. heriot watt for actuarial / economics. abertay for computer games. glasgow for law (i think) and so on....

it depends on what you study i think.

I'm sure they are.
I was just making an overall point that generally, Scottish universities can offer a similar calibre degree to English universities.
Original post by JodiePeepShow

I thought Glasgow had bad reputation due to the city sometimes getting a bad name ..
but the uni might still be good

Are you serious??? You cannot possibly base your University decision based solely on the supposed reputation of a city. EVERY SINGLE city in the world faces serious social problems such as drug/alcohol abuse and worse (which I won't mention as judging from your incredibly immature comment I assume you have led an incredibly sheltered life and are quite immature).

It sounds like you need to carry out some research. Glasgow has been awarded 59th place in the latest QS world university rankings, whereas St. Andrews only achieved 97th place and Aberdeen reached 141st place. Glasgow was also the joint top rated university in Scotland in the 2011 National Studnts Survey. It is part of the Russell Group (a group of 20 top research based Universities in the UK) and finally the History of Art department at Glasgow has been awarded the top spot for research meaning that 85% of its research is internationally renowned and world leading. There are also plenty of other departments which deserve merit but surely being ranked 59th in the world means something?

I'll mention some other important information for you: campus is located in a gorgeous area of the city. It's ancient architecture contrasts beautifully with the leafy and very green suburb feel. I have rarely spotted junkies/prostitutes/alcoholics wandering around campus on their way to nearby brothels or crack houses. Glasgow people are friendly and helpful, and personal experience deems them much friendlier than people from London/Edinburgh. You will read the same sensationalist headlines in every other city but take it from me as someone who has lived and worked for two and a half enjoyable years in the east end of Glasgow (Dennistoun) and who regularly served gansters as a part time waitress, and witnessed many a junkie foaming at the mouth in a doorstep that Glasgow is a fantastic city. It is a cultural hub, full of history, beautiful architecture and if you snub it then you are the one who is missing out.
Original post by j'adore art
Are you serious??? You cannot possibly base your University decision based solely on the supposed reputation of a city. EVERY SINGLE city in the world faces serious social problems such as drug/alcohol abuse and worse (which I won't mention as judging from your incredibly immature comment I assume you have led an incredibly sheltered life and are quite immature).

It sounds like you need to carry out some research. Glasgow has been awarded 59th place in the latest QS world university rankings, whereas St. Andrews only achieved 97th place and Aberdeen reached 141st place. Glasgow was also the joint top rated university in Scotland in the 2011 National Studnts Survey. It is part of the Russell Group (a group of 20 top research based Universities in the UK) and finally the History of Art department at Glasgow has been awarded the top spot for research meaning that 85% of its research is internationally renowned and world leading. There are also plenty of other departments which deserve merit but surely being ranked 59th in the world means something?

I'll mention some other important information for you: campus is located in a gorgeous area of the city. It's ancient architecture contrasts beautifully with the leafy and very green suburb feel. I have rarely spotted junkies/prostitutes/alcoholics wandering around campus on their way to nearby brothels or crack houses. Glasgow people are friendly and helpful, and personal experience deems them much friendlier than people from London/Edinburgh. You will read the same sensationalist headlines in every other city but take it from me as someone who has lived and worked for two and a half enjoyable years in the east end of Glasgow (Dennistoun) and who regularly served gansters as a part time waitress, and witnessed many a junkie foaming at the mouth in a doorstep that Glasgow is a fantastic city. It is a cultural hub, full of history, beautiful architecture and if you snub it then you are the one who is missing out.

yeah glasgow uni in a very nice area
Reply 53
It depends on your intelligence - generally speaking there are a few good Scottish unis then it goes downhill. What this really means is you ignore a lot of unis that academically would be great for you so should you get rejected by one or more of the better ones or God forbid miss your offer by a whisker you'll be left to go to a uni which isn't as good as you deserve whereas you could have got offers from a number of unis throughout the UK that are just as good as StAndrews or Edinburgh due to selection criteria or leniency.

What I really hope is you don't apply to only Scottish unis based on money.

Why on earth would you spend £27-36k on a university that's 'just as good' as universities that are free? The only unis outside of Scotland I'd consider applying to would be Oxbridge, Imperial/UCL/LSE or MIT due to their excellent financial aid program; and even at these places I need to ask myself whether they'll ever pay for themselves financially, and the answer is somewhat uncertain. The difference between Edinburgh/St Andrews and most 'normal' English unis is so minimal that it could never even begin to approach being worth it IMO.

For Maths, St Andrews is #3 on the Guardian tables and #8 on the CUG, while Edinburgh is #8 (in the UK) on the QS tables.
And like I said, when it's costing you £27-36k, unless you're going to Loxbridge you're not really 'missing' much tbh.
Original post by Domeface
Why on earth would you spend £27-36k on a university that's 'just as good' as universities that are free? The only unis outside of Scotland I'd consider applying to would be Oxbridge, Imperial/UCL/LSE or MIT due to their excellent financial aid program; and even at these places I need to ask myself whether they'll ever pay for themselves financially, and the answer is somewhat uncertain. The difference between Edinburgh/St Andrews and most 'normal' English unis is so minimal that it could never even begin to approach being worth it IMO.

If you had read my other posts you'd have seen that I meant for the old fee system which applies to me, which is a disgrace because £3.3k pa is an absolute bargain. Cheaper than your living costs. I also said that the new fees are a bit more dodgy. And 27 to 36? A lot of people do a 3 year course, I'm doing a 4 year but I'm in the minority so 27 really. Don't apply your silly 4 year structure to us automatically

For Maths, St Andrews is #3 on the Guardian tables and #8 on the CUG, while Edinburgh is #8 (in the UK) on the QS tables.
And like I said, when it's costing you £27-36k, unless you're going to Loxbridge you're not really 'missing' much tbh.

Please, ranking tables are notoriously wrong. St Andrews 3rd? Gimme a break. It goes Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial, Bristol. That top 5 is pretty much undisputed. Then it tends to go Bath, Durham, UCL which may differ in order slightly according to the person but I've never heard of any other university entering that top 8. Only then might you get a Scottish uni. I've never seen Edinburgh in the top 15 for maths, perhaps top 20 or so.
Reply 55
St Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Heriot-Watt, Dundee, Aberdeen, Strathclyde, Stirling are all good unis! :biggrin:
Please, ranking tables are notoriously wrong. St Andrews 3rd? Gimme a break. It goes Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial, Bristol. That top 5 is pretty much undisputed. Then it tends to go Bath, Durham, UCL which may differ in order slightly according to the person but I've never heard of any other university entering that top 8. Only then might you get a Scottish uni. I've never seen Edinburgh in the top 15 for maths, perhaps top 20 or so.

You do not appear to understand how a newspaper ranking table works if you are calling it wrong.

A ranking table consists of a list of data attributed to each university (e.g. student satisfaction, graduate employment rate), and then a weightings system to decide which data is the most important. Universities are then ranked according to their score.

A newspaper league table does not have to coincide with your own subjective opinions (which is heavily subjective; if you think that there is an "undisputed" top 5 then you are much more ignorant than I thought). And just because it does not, you cannot call it "wrong": it's very childish and reveals your ignorance of how they work.
(edited 12 years ago)
How is Aberdeen for theology?
Original post by Popppppy
Obviously it depends on what you want to do.
Strathclyde is world renown for business, but things like History or English, not so much.
Glasgow Caledonian is in the top ten of the UK for Allied Health Professions
Obviously St Andrews is an excellent uni for something like Medicine
Edinburgh and Glasgow are great for the Arts

St. Andrews excellent for Medicine? I disagree. I like how in-depth they go with the science when studying in phase 1, but they provide no clinical training, that's done at one of the other Scottish universities, or Manchester. I'd call that pretty lousy!

Strathclyde is also a great university for sciences, I've heard.

But in response to the OP, I'd say approaching it from a non-subjective viewpoint - I'd call Edinburgh the best university in Scotland.

Original post by heartlesswhore
How is Aberdeen for theology?

Heartlesswhore wanting to study theology. This amuses me.
I realise there's is probably not a definitive answers as it depends on course etc but St Andrews is generally rated the best but i don't know if that's partly because it's the oldest and because Prince William and Catherine studied there.. Uni of Edinburgh is supposed to be a good all rounder and a great location..

So which is the best all rounder or for specific degress?

First Thread :biggrin:

Original post by JakeE10
St Andrews...I would say so anyway! Edinburgh is definitely 2nd if that's the case!

You people have no ****ing idea

Quick Reply

Latest