The Student Room Group

Best Scottish University?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexs2602
Top 5? Sometimes, not usually. Top 20? Perhaps. But in case you didn't notice I SAID THAT.

Rankings are too rough and subjective to rely on. And that still depends on your definition. I consider the top 5 to top 10 to be elite, then the top 20~ excellent. So excellent, yes... elite? Depends. That's still only two unis that are elite, which is what I said iirc. In other words, you just agreed with me.

Lol, you haven't checked the league tables much.
Reply 121
Original post by Popppppy
Obviously it depends on what you want to do.
Strathclyde is world renown for business, but things like History or English, not so much.
Glasgow Caledonian is in the top ten of the UK for Allied Health Professions
Obviously St Andrews is an excellent uni for something like Medicine
Edinburgh and Glasgow are great for the Arts

So wrong there.
Original post by No Future
Lol, you haven't checked the league tables much.

Oh, Jesus you're stupid. Most academics agree that ranking tables AREN'T reliable. I mean, please, putting Lancaster so high up(top 5 for maths) for certain subjects? It's a joke. The data used isn't going to be useful for everyone, unlikely to be too. So rather I'd say, you've checked them too much.
Reply 123
Original post by maxcartwright
does anyone know if st andrews does transffers?

No uni will accept your application with that grammar and spelling
Reply 124
I am hopefully going to attend St.Andrews, and it has a great reputatio, along with Edinburgh. Outside the UK though, most people only really know Edinburgh, although St.Andrews did get some recent attention due to the royal wedding. Seeing as St.Andrews is kind of desolate, and I do like the city every now and again (I come from a town near Lisbon, which is small but full of life and tourism) what is the inter-uni atmosphere like in Scotland?
Oh, Jesus you're stupid. Most academics agree that ranking tables AREN'T reliable. I mean, please, putting Lancaster so high up(top 5 for maths) for certain subjects? It's a joke. The data used isn't going to be useful for everyone, unlikely to be too. So rather I'd say, you've checked them too much.

I never said league tables were reliable, I simply corrected you on your assertion that St Andrews were merely in the top 20 in UK league tables, when the reality is that it is in the top 10, nay sometimes top 5.

FYI Edinburgh isn't always in the top 20. It's sometimes top 20 usually top 30.

Those who resort to calling others stupid either lack intelligence themselves or have low self esteem. Sorry about that. :frown:
Original post by Feragon
I am hopefully going to attend St.Andrews, and it has a great reputatio, along with Edinburgh. Outside the UK though, most people only really know Edinburgh, although St.Andrews did get some recent attention due to the royal wedding. Seeing as St.Andrews is kind of desolate, and I do like the city every now and again (I come from a town near Lisbon, which is small but full of life and tourism) what is the inter-uni atmosphere like in Scotland?

St Andrews is very close to Dundee, quite close to Edinburgh and not too far away from Glasgow so it's not too far away from most of the main cities in Scotland.
I never said league tables were reliable, I simply corrected you on your assertion that St Andrews were merely in the top 20 in UK league tables, when the reality is that it is in the top 10, nay sometimes top 5.

FYI Edinburgh isn't always in the top 20. It's sometimes top 20 usually top 30.

Those who resort to calling others stupid either lack intelligence themselves or have low self esteem. Sorry about that. :frown:

You said usually top 5/20 before. Sometimes =/= usually. It's one or the other. I'm a sciences(natural normally, though I'd say I know some social - economics) person so I wouldn't really know for the arts. You're a very misleading person.

The latter.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 128
Original post by Smack
St Andrews is very close to Dundee, quite close to Edinburgh and not too far away from Glasgow so it's not too far away from most of the main cities in Scotland.

I realise that, I was just wondering what the atmosphere between Scottish unis are like, two of my mates are going to Glasgow and another is going to Edinburgh so I was jsut wanting to know if there is any tension between unis there or if it is all friendly between them (obviously it depends on people but I just wanna know the jist of it)
You said usually top 5/20 before. Sometimes =/= usually. It's one or the other. I'm a sciences person so I wouldn't know for the arts. You're a very misleading person.

The latter.

I was mistaken in my first post.

Even so, it's not hard to understand.

St Andrews is usually top 10, sometimes top 5
Edinburgh is usually top 30, sometimes top 20.

The arts? WTF Lol.

I'm afraid that I can't help you if you don't understand the meaning of thew words "sometimes" and "usually"
(edited 12 years ago)
I was mistaken in my first post.

Even so, it's not hard to understand.

St Andrews is usually top 10, sometimes top 5
Edinburgh is usually top 30, sometimes top 20.

The arts? WTF Lol.

The arts - English, politics, law, history, even philosophy - that kinda stuff.
The arts - English, politics, law, history, even philosophy - that kinda stuff.

You mention this because? :s-smilie:
You mention this because? :s-smilie:

It's not my area of expertise? I'm not familiar with how good each uni is for these unis? It's not hard.
It's not my area of expertise? I'm not familiar with how good each uni is for these unis? It's not hard.

Sorry, but this doesn't make sense.

Why are you telling me the arts isn't your expertise? Why is that relevant?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 134
Edinburgh > Saint Andrews.

League tables can go rot. Unless you enjoy small & windy seaside towns pick Edinburgh.
Sorry, but this doesn't make sense.

Why are you telling me the arts isn't your expertise? Why is that relevant?

how good each uni is for each of these subjects...

Because there are more than just sciences taught at university. Jesus, how is that not obvious?
how good each uni is for each of these subjects...

Because there are more than just sciences taught at university. Jesus, how is that not obvious?

Erm, we were just talking about UK league tables, not subject based.

I don't know about subject based, I'm studying a science subject so I don't routinely look up league tables for random subjects (e.g. arts) at my university.
(edited 12 years ago)
Erm, we were just talking about UK league tables, not subject based.

I don't know about subject based, I'm studying a science subject so I don't routinely look up league tables for random subjects (e.g. arts) at my university.

Yes, but league tables need to be related to subjects to some degree because that is what they teach. If they didn't what would they be rating?
what would they be rating?

Why don't you google it and find out?
Why don't you google it and find out?

:banghead: We already established league tables are fairly inaccurate. In order to rank or rate unis generally it must be based on the subjects they teach otherwise you're just rating them on their facilities which while can be helpful is only helpful after you know how good their teaching/research is.

Quick Reply

Latest