The Student Room Group

Best Scottish University?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sir Fox
In this case it comes down to whether you prefer a large city or a small place. Both are very beautiful places, one has more on offer, the other one is more peaceful, tranquil and picturesque. One is a close knit community, the other is more anonymous. I should add that from St Andrews you can get to Dundee within 30 min., Edinburgh in about an hour and Glasgow in 1.5 to 2 hours, so there's nothing keeping you from enjoying Edinburgh's museums, shopping etc. on the weekend :wink:

In terms of prestige they are pretty evenly matched.

When you say Edinburgh is about an hour from St Andrews, do you mean by car? Because when I visited them it actually took me 2 hours by bus.
I'm quite sure I'd appreciate more a bigger and more creative city, but I'm also convinced I'd feel at ease at a smaller and "more academic" university as St Andrews. I guess I'll have to filp a coin.
Original post by Filippo T
When you say Edinburgh is about an hour from St Andrews, do you mean by car? Because when I visited them it actually took me 2 hours by bus.

Bus + train. Buses are rather slow. The next train station from St Andrews is Leuchars (about 10 min. from St Andrews by bus) and the trains take around 1h from Leuchars to Edinburgh. Okay, so factoring in the time you spend waiting for the train in Leuchars, maybe it's more like 1:15 to 1:30.

I guess I'll have to filp a coin.

The great thing about flipping coins is that in the instant the coin is in the air you wish for a certain result, which is your gut telling you what you really want :wink:
Original post by Sir Fox
Bus + train. Buses are rather slow. The next train station from St Andrews is Leuchars (about 10 min. from St Andrews by bus) and the trains take around 1h from Leuchars to Edinburgh. Okay, so factoring in the time you spend waiting for the train in Leuchars, maybe it's more like 1:15 to 1:30.

The great thing about flipping coins is that in the instant the coin is in the air you wish for a certain result, which is your gut telling you what you really want :wink:

Yeah, you're right :smile:
Actually... What about Glasgow Uni?
I have an offer from them too, and seeing that they have a Comparative Literature course (in which I'm very interested but that Edinburgh does not provide), I'm also considering the idea of going there.
To be honest, that was one of the reasons why I initially took in consideration St Andrews: they have a Comparative Lit program as well, although I know it's been on only for four years. (I'm not even sure how serious a course Comparative Literature is, seeing that it's not very popular). Advice?
in terms of postgraduate research, coming from St Andrews would be as highly regarded as coming from Edinburgh? If, for example, I was so good (or fool) to aim for a postgraduate course at Universities like Cambridge or Oxford, would that be more difficult if I graduated from Edinburgh rather than from St Andrews or would the only thing that really matters be my final grades?
in terms of postgraduate research, coming from St Andrews would be as highly regarded as coming from Edinburgh? If, for example, I was so good (or fool) to aim for a postgraduate course at Universities like Cambridge or Oxford, would that be more difficult if I graduated from Edinburgh rather than from St Andrews or would the only thing that really matters be my final grades?

That, and your resume. And your interview. I'm pretty sure Oxbridge don't give a flying duck where you studied. I know someone who studied his BA and MA in some provincial Nigerian university and is now doing a PhD at Cambridge.
Original post by Sir Fox
That, and your resume. And your interview. I'm pretty sure Oxbridge don't give a flying duck where you studied. I know someone who studied his BA and MA in some provincial Nigerian university and is now doing a PhD at Cambridge.

I see, thanks. Do you know by any chance how much a PhD at Cambridge would cost per year? Someone said £20k :O
I see, thanks. Do you know by any chance how much a PhD at Cambridge would cost per year? Someone said £20k :O

Bit more actually, a bit above 7k a year. But if I were you I'd concentrate on the undergrad. you haven't even started. You can start to worry about a PhD in four or five years, by which time the fees will have gone up anyway :wink:
Original post by Sir Fox
Bit more actually, a bit above 7k a year. But if I were you I'd concentrate on the undergrad. you haven't even started. You can start to worry about a PhD in four or five years, by which time the fees will have gone up anyway :wink:

Hahaha you're right :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest